4-axis finishing issue

Thread: 4-axis finishing issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4-axis finishing issue

I am trying to machine a human foot shape out of round stock on a standard 4-axis (XYZA) mill.

I am having trouble creating a planar finishing toolpath. It does not want to stay on the part surface where the A-axis revolution axis comes out of the foot under the toes.

I think if you look at this image you can see what I mean.

What can I do to solve this issue?

4-axis finishing issue-finishingerror-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4-axis finishing issue

When using the 4-axis or axis of revolution function, the toolpath is projected onto the model towards or away from the axis of revolution, depending on if milling outside or inside a model.
    It is not possible to project the toolpath below the axis of revolution because the rotary direction would be reversed and produce "violent" machine motions.
    4-axis finishing issue-1-png

There are a couple of ways to solve this problem.

1) You can create an extra indexed toolpath from the bottom.
    4-axis finishing issue-2-png

2) The axis of revolution can be off center compared to the 4th axis in your machine. You can create two toolpaths from two different axis of revolution. (only in madCAM 5X and 5Xtra)
    4-axis finishing issue-3-png

3) It is possible to create 4-axis toolpaths from drive surfaces as well. (Only in madCAM 5Xtra)
    4-axis finishing issue-4-png

If you set the drive surface angle limits to zero, it will lock the 5th axis and you can use the drive surface function also for 4-axis.
    4-axis finishing issue-5-png
    4-axis finishing issue-6-png

/Joakim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4-axis finishing issue

Thanks, I now see that my roughing path also leaves this bump on the part.

This creates its own problem in that if I choose Option 1 to create a region (to machine the bump with the A axis stationary I assume), I do not have a stock model for the bump and I will have to create one so that I am not machining a lot of air when I rough this region.

In option 2, I assume this involves physically 're-chucking' the part to machine the 2nd axis (no so easily done).

Option 3 is not available to me.

I have a number of different foot shapes to machine so option 1 looks very tedious but less so than 2.

It would be nice if you could create for us a curve (or even just points) on the part surface wherever the tool has to leave the surface when it must create this bump, then it would be easy to create the region and stock

Thanks,
    Dale and Tristen