Problem with finishing toolpaths

Thread: Problem with finishing toolpaths

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem with finishing toolpaths

I am proficient in Rhino, but still pretty new to MadCam, and am having trouble with the finishing toolpaths. I am cutting into MDF using a 1/4" endmill for the roughing, and an 1/8" ballnose for the 3 finishing paths (z-level, planar, pencil). The roughing goes well, but the z-level and (especially) the planar cutting really chews up the model.

Not sure if its the step-over, tolerance, bit choice, cut direction, feed/speed, roughing step-down, etc.

Finishing step-down is .05 for all 3.
    Ballnose bit info: XY Speed = 2, Z Speed = 2, RPM=12000

Also, is the feedrate in inches per second or inches per minute? I used IPS, and it seemed to be moving quick enough, but I see everyone else using IPM.

I can link the 3dm model, post processor, processed file, and more details/files if necessary. I have attached 2 images of the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with finishing toolpaths-image1-jpg   Problem with finishing toolpaths-image2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with finishing toolpaths

Since you are from the US, and everything else you mentioned was imperial, that .05 you mentioned must be .05", correct. Fifty-thou step down with a 1/8 ballnose is way too much. Okay for roughing in MDF, but for finishing you should reduce that value significantly.

There may be more issues here, but that one jumps out at me as the first thing to correct.

Dan

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with finishing toolpaths

An image of the machine gives a lot of info too.