Introduction

Thread: Introduction

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Introduction

Hey everyone, I have been 3d printing for some time now, I have an ender 5 that I use for my prints. Recently I decided to venture into reductive manufacturing and bought a 3 axis 6040 CNC with an 800 w spindle which I am still needing to set up. I do feel that working with the printer has given me a good place to start with learning the mill but I know there will still be quite the learning curve as I learn about this new price of machinery which is why I thought it would be good to join a forum. I am looking forward to driving into this new skill set and hope that it can be a rewarding persuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Abador View Post
    Hey everyone, I have been 3d printing for some time now, I have an ender 5 that I use for my prints. Recently I decided to venture into reductive manufacturing and bought a 3 axis 6040 CNC with an 800 w spindle which I am still needing to set up. I do feel that working with the printer has given me a good place to start with learning the mill but I know there will still be quite the learning curve as I learn about this new price of machinery which is why I thought it would be good to join a forum. I am looking forward to driving into this new skill set and hope that it can be a rewarding persuit.
    Hi , I'm also a newbie at CNC. I Bought a chinese 6040 4 axis cnc machine. I soon discovered that the entire control box was rubbish and consequently got a Gecko g540 and a ESS smoothstepper (still using parallel). I downloaded the intro copy of mach4 as the ess supports it, but I can't find a tutorial for using it. Also I would like the freedom to use different tool shank sizes. I have a water cooled ER20 spindle , can anybody tell me what type of collet holder and the best collet nut I should be using? Also zeroing the tool manually is problematic, the bed is extruded aluminium which flexes easily when the slightest pressure is applied downwards, making accurate z measurements difficult. Is there a way I can zero consistantly in mach4?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Introduction

While Mach4 will control your CNC machine, it's not a CAD program (which allows you to design parts) nor a CAM program (which breaks down the models you build in CAD into tool paths that take into account the various tools, holders, and machining strategies you want to use). Most CAM programs will have a way to enter the dimensions of your tool holders, as well as the tools themselves. The best collet nut would be one that fits your tool holder best; usually it will be made by the same manufacturer.

If you're pushing your tool into the material hard enough to flex your machine bed, you're pushing too hard. The Z zero point is usually established at the top of the material you're cutting. You lower the tool carefully until it pinches a thin piece of paper (cigarette papers are good for this) and call that zero. You don't have to push any harder than that.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]