Help for the future, can I return to a better place. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help for the future, can I return to a better place.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help for the future, can I return to a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Here in OZ that's most definitely not the standard!

Now that we have gov subsidised slave labour with the "Internship Program" the situations only gotten much, much worse.

Most employers are happy to hire a barrel of monkeys, pay a pittance, take the grants, and then rotate every 6-12 months.

Bit hard to compete when it's a race to the bottom!
    To push buttons you only need a robot monkeys are not needed

The internship program is a payed for not only by gov, but the student also, they still need a qualified teacher or guide, if you are educated in one of the many fields then you can be that teacher, education is key in this case and willing to work

All Programs — Australian Internships

https://internships-australia.com/

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think Mac has grasped the fact that once you are a matured worker and set in your ways with old school technology, and especially if you are in a rarified work environment, you will find that jobs as you know it are for those that have climbed the pile and got to where they are, but to change horses mid stream and get to another pile and near the same top.....you are looking for gold under a haystack in the dark...….at best you will have to take what's offered...…..like it or lump it.....that is the fact of life these days.

As I said, you must be flexible, not only in your ability, but in your mind too......people employers are the judge of what they think you are worth to them...…….at the same time you must be confident on your ability to perform.....don't take second best...…..if you have the time, use it to browse the offers.....the winds of change are going to be blowing with Brexit.

Best of British.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    I don't think Mac has grasped the fact that once you are a matured worker and set in your ways with old school technology, and especially if you are in a rarified work environment, you will find that jobs as you know it are for those that have climbed the pile and got to where they are, but to change horses mid stream and get to another pile and near the same top.....you are looking for gold under a haystack in the dark...….at best you will have to take what's offered...…..like it or lump it.....that is the fact of life these days.

As I said, you must be flexible, not only in your ability, but in your mind too......people employers are the judge of what they think you are worth to them...…….at the same time you must be confident on your ability to perform.....don't take second best...…..if you have the time, use it to browse the offers.....the winds of change are going to be blowing with Brexit.

Best of British.
    Ian.
    That is where the education part comes in, if you are an old mature worker that has not kept up with technology then you are a lost case, and not employable, it's called the want to work, you can not get complacent in the work place or yes you will be left behind and not have a job

The Op is only 51 and educated in more than one area if you can't get a job it is his own doing

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mac, what you say is perfectly right in one context...……..supposing you are highly placed in an organisation and perform as required to the best of your ability..... that is, as far as it needs to perform within that organisation.....being over qualified in any field is a recipe for time wasting getting there.....you do need to live as opposed to being a continuous study student...... and frustration at not getting ahead with that extra knowledge you have gained and may never need while you are employed in that organisation.

It's a prime case of too many chiefs and not enough Indians scenario......have you heard of the expression, "The higher the top, the longer the drop"....nothing is forever.

We will never know the true extent of the situation as it's a private thing, and with a job market as fluid as it is, job satisfaction and reliability are poles apart when it comes to sourcing another job that may mean relocating to areas not of your choice.

People are by nature creatures of fixed habits and relocating is something not to be relished unless it is something you plan on anyway....apparently not in this case as it's a situation that will eventuate anyway like it or not.

I'd love to hear the outcome of this, but I don't think we'll hear more as it's a hypothetical on the cards happening not a dead certainty.
    Ian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12