Drill recommendation, please

Thread: Drill recommendation, please

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drill recommendation, please

Hello,

We’re working on a project that entails drilling a series of 5/16” diameter holes through the wall of 6061 aluminum tubing. The wall thickness of the tubing is 3/8” and there are almost 900(!) holes in each piece. I need to find a drill that will leave a minimal burr when it breaks through. We do not have coolant-through capability. What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Drill recommendation, please

We have had very good luck with the M.A. Ford Twister drills in 6061 https://www.maford.com/product-details/22931250

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Default Re: Drill recommendation, please

YG dream drills have done the best job for us.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think one of the top compact drills is the dcd791 which is pretty much the newest model of the drill you have. With the dcd791 you get 460uwo of torque vs 350uwo in your current drill and you upgrade to brushless. The dcd777 looks similar and is brushless but it only has 1600rpm vs 2000rpm in the dcd780 and 791. This is also why I don't really care for the compact milwaukee drills they only have 1800rpm and I prefer the higher rpms which maybe isn't a big deal for you.