lathe turning, steps to achive final size

Thread: lathe turning, steps to achive final size

Downloads
    Uploads

Default lathe turning, steps to achive final size

Welcome all,
    I am working in machining shope for few years and operate and program mills and lathes.My question is related to turning procedure to achive tight sizes up to 0.025 microns.I have never been showne how it should look like. Basicly I dont have scraps, but when big job is coming I am always worry to make it right.Spend hours serching on internet with no results. Can someone give some guide with how much for finish pass, how many finish passes etc.
    Thanks Marcin

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: lathe turning, steps to achive final size

0.025 microns? Do you actually have a machine that will hold that tolerance? And have very accurate temperature control? And do you have a method of measuring that close?

I think grinding or lapping would be required for that accuracy.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

hi, I turn such a part for a while. I have machine and measurment equipment, dont have temperarure romm control.I would like to know what other machinist aproach is to achive good resoults and have 100% to get size what you are looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi, I turn such a part for a while. I have machine and measurment equipment, dont have temperarure romm control.I would like to know what other machinist aproach is to achive good resoults and have 100% to get size what you are looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sacro View Post
    Can someone give some guide with how much for finish pass, how many finish passes etc.
    One finish pass should be enough. Depth of cut and feed speed depends on the material. Warm your machine up before trying to hold close tolerance. Use very sharp tools. Make test cuts to dial the machine in for the job and adjust tool offsets as needed.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Just run some wet and dry on the back of your 12" ruller until you think the size is good......BTDT.