North America 304 SS Pipe

Thread: 304 SS Pipe

Downloads
    Uploads

Question 304 SS Pipe

Hello everyone, I have been on here, but have never posted. I have a big question for you all. Hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have this material here, that i machine quite a bit for a customer and Im at a lost of what works best for this material. Its 304SS Pipe, One end it gets turned and a groove machined in about 1.25" back from the face and a bevel on the face. Every combo of feedrate and rpm i try, I end up having to change out my CNMG almost every part or two parts. Im running it on a Samsung SL-35, with a MCLNR16-4D CNMG 1/32R CNMG 432-TF IC907 Insert. I know they are probably not the best inserts, but its what is supplied and I have no hear-say on getting anything better. I have looked up the specs for the insert and under the stainless it calls for 328-919 sfm, i have done my calacualtions and have tried every combo there is and still have yet to find a sweet spot for my Feedrate and my RPM and SFM. My current setup in my program is G97 S125, G96 S325, F.01 and it just does not hold up. I have changed the RPM and Feedrate and nothing to prevail has worked.

OD of material is 6.625" finish OD and turnback length is 3.25"

If anyone has any ideas or some tips, I would be forever greatful.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Lunchbox
    Houston, Tx USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 304 SS Pipe

Try G97 S125, G96 S150, F.005 and see what happens.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Jim, Ill give it a try here in a few. Thank you.

Lunchbox
    Houston, Tx USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The way I have my program setup is, It comes in and faces, then roughs the bevel, then comes in does the finish pass for the bevel, then does the turndown for the OD. If need be i can post my G-code here if that will help out.

Lunchbox
    Houston, Tx USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox21984 View Post
    The way I have my program setup is, It comes in and faces, then roughs the bevel, then comes in does the finish pass for the bevel, then does the turndown for the OD. If need be i can post my G-code here if that will help out.
    Sounds like the way I would do it.

When I burn up inserts, I just slow things way down, run a a few parts, then speed it up a bit to see what happens. 304 SS is a PITA to machine in any case. I have a few hundred 304 SS parts turn this week. I've run these before so I have the speed and feeds already figured out. But the speed and feed now is about 1/2 of what I started with because I was burning up inserts and drill bits.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I hear you, I make 2", 3", 4", 5", 6" and 8" of these parts, all the others seem to work some what fine program wise, but i will take heed to your advice here and put forth towards my future runs of these. Yes, 304ss is a pita to run, but its not too bad when you get your feeds and speeds set right. Some of them I have even gone as cutting out the OD turning with my CNMG and using my DNMG to do the OD turn. it helps, but I really need to get these dialed in better than what they have been.

Again, thank you Jim for the tips and advice. Ill use it.

Lunchbox
    Houston, Tx USA

Downloads
    Uploads

It also doesnt help the fact that this pipe is not concentric and has a weld seem. nothing much can be done, but on the 6" and 8" i run a plug i machined out of scrap i had laying around to insert in the ID for gripping and keeping the jaws from deforming the pipe. that really helps. the smaller sizes i just grip it and adjust my chuck pressure.

The settings you gave me seem too be working better than what I had before. Thank you again. It is slower, but that is okay, The main thing im after is to keep Insert usage down. They are not cheap, so that will help out.

Lunchbox
    Houston, Tx USA