CNC Newbie Tool Diameter Question

Thread: CNC Newbie Tool Diameter Question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Newbie Tool Diameter Question

Been reading a lot about VMC's and their operation...I have been learning Fusion 360 and am fluent with Mach 3 and have a self designed CNC router.

Anyway, I want to make sure I understand tool offsets...If I use software like fusion 360, and the tool table has diameters, the GCode generated takes into account the diameter of the tools used. So when I run this code on a VMC, I have to have all of the tool diameters on the VMC set at zero correct?

And, If I were to hand enter GCode directly into the machine, I need the tool offsets, correct? Like if I move X2, and the tool has a diameter, the machine will take care of the offset using the machines tool table diameter.

Do I have it correct?

Thanks
    Leslie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Newbie Tool Diameter Question

Quote Originally Posted by leversole View Post
    Been reading a lot about VMC's and their operation...I have been learning Fusion 360 and am fluent with Mach 3 and have a self designed CNC router.

Anyway, I want to make sure I understand tool offsets...If I use software like fusion 360, and the tool table has diameters, the GCode generated takes into account the diameter of the tools used. So when I run this code on a VMC, I have to have all of the tool diameters on the VMC set at zero correct?

And, If I were to hand enter GCode directly into the machine, I need the tool offsets, correct? Like if I move X2, and the tool has a diameter, the machine will take care of the offset using the machines tool table diameter.

Do I have it correct?

Thanks
    Leslie
    Yes but you need to verify that your cam is doing the compensation and that your post is also computing for computer comp not machine compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Newbie Tool Diameter Question

It depends on if you are using G41/G42 or not.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)