Managing tooling on a cnc mill.

Thread: Managing tooling on a cnc mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Managing tooling on a cnc mill.

Hi All.
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I have an Extron 216 with a 16 pot umbrella style tool changer.
    I have about 60 tool holders set up and numbered to allow quick changes between jobs. Most of my work is prototyping or single part, this method allows quick tool changes and minimises set up time.

The only complication is the Mirl controller can't recognise any tool name other than T1-T16.
    I assign the tools in the program, and edit the 'T' number to the pot number, but retain the 'H' offset. Eg, Tool 45 goes into pot 11. The T number changes to T11 but I leave H as H45 to retain the tool length offset.

What do you guys do? Is there a better way?

Cheers
    Phil

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Managing tooling on a cnc mill.

Could be a limitation of the Mirl controller. if so, no solution.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sportair View Post
    Hi All.
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I have an Extron 216 with a 16 pot umbrella style tool changer.
    I have about 60 tool holders set up and numbered to allow quick changes between jobs. Most of my work is prototyping or single part, this method allows quick tool changes and minimises set up time.

The only complication is the Mirl controller can't recognise any tool name other than T1-T16.
    I assign the tools in the program, and edit the 'T' number to the pot number, but retain the 'H' offset. Eg, Tool 45 goes into pot 11. The T number changes to T11 but I leave H as H45 to retain the tool length offset.

What do you guys do? Is there a better way?

Cheers
    Phil
    Unless they have a Parameter you can change, T16 could be your max, you are quite lucky that the H mismatch with the Tool number even work / run some controls will stop and give an alarm it's just a safety feature and can be changed by a parameter in some controls

If you can get into the ladder logic you may be able to write or change what you want to do

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chaps.

Thanks for your replies. There is a Pot page where I can assign tools to pots but it only goes to 30 tools. I'm fairly new to CNC and while this home-grown method works well enough and is easy to do, I am curious to see if there are better ways.

Cheers
    Phil