304 stainless

Thread: 304 stainless

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 304 stainless

I need to machine a .25" wide slot 1.25" deep in a 304ss 1.25" diameter rod..Was thinking about using adaptive with a 3/16" carbide variable end mill but I suspect deflection is going to be an issue.Any ideas or reccomendations.. This is a part for medical use so I'm stuck with the 304 spec.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 304 stainless

Quote Originally Posted by pauls View Post
    I need to machine a .25" wide slot 1.25" deep in a 304ss 1.25" diameter rod..Was thinking about using adaptive with a 3/16" carbide variable end mill but I suspect deflection is going to be an issue.Any ideas or reccomendations.. This is a part for medical use so I'm stuck with the 304 spec.
    Mold making endmills. You want the tool to have a short flute length and long usable length. Reduced neck. I would use a 5 or 6mm with about a 7x reduced neck length. And I would do a regular contour tool path and plunge in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

You sure about those dimensions? a 1.25" deep slot in a 1.25" diameter rod? Or are you coming in from the end?

If coming in from the end you're going to have a problem of the shank being slightly larger than the cutting edges. If it were me....

I would rough and finish with a 3/16" carbide. Working within the tolerances cut you max depth at .001 extra. Then next deepest .000 on part line. Then final depths brought in ,001 per step. If you try cutting with a 1/4 endmill you're going to have a really bad surface and once you're past the cutting edge you'll rub on the shank.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    You sure about those dimensions? a 1.25" deep slot in a 1.25" diameter rod? Or are you coming in from the end?

If coming in from the end you're going to have a problem of the shank being slightly larger than the cutting edges. If it were me....

I would rough and finish with a 3/16" carbide. Working within the tolerances cut you max depth at .001 extra. Then next deepest .000 on part line. Then final depths brought in ,001 per step. If you try cutting with a 1/4 endmill you're going to have a really bad surface and once you're past the cutting edge you'll rub on the shank.
    That’s why I suggested mold endmills. The neck is smaller that the cutting dia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk