Can someone tell me how to produce a bavel on a base

Thread: Can someone tell me how to produce a bavel on a base

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can someone tell me how to produce a bavel on a base

Hi
    Now I've finished building My CNC Router (Ox from OOZnest in the UK) I want to get out and cut something, doesn't everyone. I wanted to make an Axidraw clone (Plotter), but one with wooden fittings instead of plastic as I thought it looked more cool. Cutting the pieces isn't that hard but the base or plynth is a bit of a headache.

It needs to be 600mm long and 127mm wide and have a bevel or rounded edge at the the top and another bevel at the bottom. Its the bevels I don't no how to add into the design and get the router to cut it.

Something like the 2 attachments would be what I wanted the first one around the top and the second around the base, something similar to a picture frame.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone tell me how to produce a bavel on a base-46725fb3-70be-47f6-b666-e7a36bdb4866-jpg   Can someone tell me how to produce a bavel on a base-bvnew-gif  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can someone tell me how to produce a bavel on a base

Once you designed the part, it could be cut with a cnc router with rough cut first, then finish cut with a ball end bit/mill fairly easily, but may take a bit. You can also use standard router bit in your cnc spindle/router. But in my opinion, there are times when simpler techniques are faster and easier. In this case a couple of appropriate router bits and simply using a hand router or router mounted in a router table would accomplish your goal in a lot less time and effort (and material) without all the design, setup and fixture/clamping effort. I know... the cnc router is more fun, but...

Downloads
    Uploads

This is what's called an "ogee" - there are router bits that will cut it in one pass. Here's a set of them for comparison's sake: Detail Router Bit Set - Lee Valley Tools If you need specific-sized features that you can't find anywhere, you can either get a tool custom-made with that profile (which isn't as expensive as you might think) or figure out how to get a combination of ball and flat-end bits to cut it. I agree with Coherent above; this is a project which would probably be easier to do with a regular router table; you don't need CNC for this.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Use a board with a hole in it and a router trimmer underneath and finish the bevel on that.

I'll try that out.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats nice

If I had to pick one it would probably be the Double Curve Bit.

Actually I just wanted to make the plynth a little less like a plank of wood. So I'll go with Coherents suggestion.

Thanks.