Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Hi All,

I have a 6040 CNC that I want to use to mill a 2mm thick aluminium plate, 150mm x 150mm overall. I need to mill the profile, several holes and slots, the narrowest one being 2mm wide. I am using a 1mm end mill. I have used several feed & speed calculators but when I do a dry run, ie, above the workpiece, the feed speed seems very fast. The calculators give me a spindle speed of 15,000 rpm and a feed speed of 42 mm/sec. For such a job, what do you experienced guys think are good settings for feed rate and spindle speed? Yes, I have read several tutorials on milling aluminium but 42 mm/sec?

Cheers

Gary

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Check your calculations. I suspect they say 42 mm/minute. For a 1 mm cutter that is probably right: they are very WEAK.
    You will also need an air blast and mist lubrication, Read up on MQL and Built-Up-Edge (BUE).

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post your desired drawing here? I can custom CAM it for you and for you to have an idea how to program cut aluminum materials, scrap that calculator and go full speed (24K), use a carbide router bit 1/8 dia for wood, this is the way I cut aluminum on a chinese 6040Z with a carbide router bit for wood

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20180110_142155-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20180110_152906-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi RCaffin,

That sounds much more reasonable. I rechecked my software. It definately says 42 mm/sec on screen. Time to email the programmers as this sounds like a simple labeling error in the software. I'm going to treat all speeds recommended as mm/min and run some tests. This could explain the problems I have been having trying to mill small blocks of aluminium. Yes, I do have an air blast and mist lubrication system. Thanks for the advice re MQL and Built-Up-Edge (BUE).

Many Thanks

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

I have the same chinese 6040Z CNC machine. You are achieving EXACTLY what I want to achieve. Your milled products look surperb. I knew it was possible, I just could not figure out how to do so. After I have milled the 2mm plate (thanks to RCaffin spotting the error in the feeds calculator), I need to mill a block of aluminium to create a larger valve/rocker box for a Honda GX engine. I have attached a photo of a trial run using a scape piece of kitchen worksurface. The depth of the box is 40mm. The end mill is 3mm dia. OK, I'll buy myself a long 1/8" carbide router bit. What spindle speed and feed speed do you recommend?

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I usually mill aluminum or rather route because im not really using an end mill hehe, I used a 2 flute carbide bit for wood, the usual feed rate I prefer is 1400mm/min 0.3-0.4mm depth with a plunge rate of 80mm/min @ 24000 RPM, I can machine all day without worrying of my bit getting dull, you can draw your dimensions of your work piece and post it here, then I will custom CAM it for you and post the code here for you to download and try to your machine.

On a 1/8 dia carbide bit the usual flute is only single, though there are also 2 flute carbide but scarce, just use the single flute instead, here in our place the double flute straight carbide bits starts @ 1/4 above, the one on the picture is 5/16 in size but a 1/4 shank.

Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot the photo. Here it is

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-gx-rocker-box-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks for these details and for the offer of CAM. I'll dig out the cad file and post it here. Back in a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    I usually mill aluminum or rather route because im not really using an end mill hehe, I used a 2 flute carbide bit for wood, the usual feed rate I prefer is 1400mm/min 0.3-0.4mm depth with a plunge rate of 80mm/min @ 24000 RPM, I can machine all day without worrying of my bit getting dull, you can draw your dimensions of your work piece and post it here, then I will custom CAM it for you and post the code here for you to download and try to your machine.

On a 1/8 dia carbide bit the usual flute is only single, though there are also 2 flute carbide but scarce, just use the single flute instead, here in our place the double flute straight carbide bits starts @ 1/4 above, the one on the picture is 5/16 in size but a 1/4 shank.
    Yes, that's reasonable and your results are really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

Do you use the 2 flute spiral carbide bits like these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4x42...23752662.html?

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWilliams View Post
    Hi Khouj,

Do you use the 2 flute spiral carbide bits like these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4x42...23752662.html?

CheersGary

Nope
    that`s too expensive, im just using a $1.88 straight cut carbide tool bit, 95 pesos on our currency.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20170803_155603-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahha! Now I get the type of tool you are using, a simple router bit. Brilliant! I never would have thought of that. I'm off to the local tool store now to get one. Thanks Khouj

Downloads
    Uploads

About your GX rocker box, is it possible to let it run on the scanner and post it here? I think it`ll be more precise to scan that then the measurements on the 4 holes center to center then let me do the rest you`ll be surprised how accurate the scanner is

I dont need the actual size on the scanned object, just the top view picture, the one I need to be accurate is the 4 holes distance in mm using your caliper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here`s a sample clip on the feeds and speeds on the aluminum on a 2 flute carbide straight bit

Downloads
    Uploads

Worth noting: a 1/4" or 5/16" router bit is a LOT stronger than a 1 mm bit, plus the surface speed will be a LOT faster with the bigger cutter. So yes, if you take very shallow cuts the chip loading will be a lot smaller and you could go a lot faster with the bigger cutter.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Worth noting: a 1/4" or 5/16" router bit is a LOT stronger than a 1 mm bit, plus the surface speed will be a LOT faster with the bigger cutter. So yes, if you take very shallow cuts the chip loading will be a lot smaller and you could go a lot faster with the bigger cutter.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi Roger,

This seems such an excellent solution. You and Khouj have restored my faith in CNC milling. I know what I am doing this weekend

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

Herewith a scan plus two printouts (one with dimensions) from my ArtCam software

Cheers

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-rocker-box-dimensions-pdf   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-10a-pdf   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-rocker-box-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok this is all I need I need the measurement on this in millimeters the red lines

Edit: Ok after 5 minutes im done I cannot proceed without the precise measurements of the red lines sir....also the precise diameter of the tool bit you are going to use on it. just measure it with a caliper and post the measurements here in mm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-capture00132-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-1-jpg  
    Last edited by KH0UJ; 01-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Ok this is all I need I need the measurement on this in millimeters the red lines

Edit: Ok after 5 minutes im done I cannot proceed without the precise measurements of the red lines sir....also the precise diameter of the tool bit you are going to use on it. just measure it with a caliper and post the measurements here in mm.

The short red line is 65mm. The long red line is 86mm. I will use a 1/4" router bit (6.5mm dia). The four holes are 3mm dia. To mill out the inside of the rocker box, do I drill a, say, 8mm hole at the milling start point for the router bit to decend into? On my router bit, the cutting flutes only protrude about 0.4mm. If I try to step down too far, the centre of the router bit will hit the aluminium block as the cutting tips do not cover the whole of the end of the router bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWilliams View Post
    The short red line is 65mm. The long red line is 86mm. I will use a 1/4" router bit (6.5mm dia). The four holes are 3mm dia. To mill out the inside of the rocker box, do I drill a, say, 8mm hole at the milling start point for the router bit to decend into? On my router bit, the cutting flutes only protrude about 0.4mm. If I try to step down too far, the centre of the router bit will hit the aluminium block as the cutting tips do not cover the whole of the end of the router bit.
    The way I attack this kind of model is first I load a 3mm tool bit and punch the four holes with 3mm depth, then I zero all axis and install the 6.5mm tool bit then zero the Z axis on the material, then cut the inner first, it will have 4 tabs on it so that it will not move when the machine is done cutting the inner part, then last the outer part also with tabs, after the machining process, i`ll use a hack saw blade for metal on cutting the inner and outer tabs, then drill the 4 holes with an 8mm drill bit, this material is 40mm right?

It`s something like this

on an autoCAM process the inner part will be a pocket and of course it will take a very long time scraping all the middle hatch, while on a custom CAM it is direct to the point, you can still use the inner material for future projects

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-capture002-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast