Milling Aluminium - too fast? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

About your GX rocker box, is it possible to let it run on the scanner and post it here? I think it`ll be more precise to scan that then the measurements on the 4 holes center to center then let me do the rest you`ll be surprised how accurate the scanner is

I dont need the actual size on the scanned object, just the top view picture, the one I need to be accurate is the 4 holes distance in mm using your caliper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here`s a sample clip on the feeds and speeds on the aluminum on a 2 flute carbide straight bit

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Worth noting: a 1/4" or 5/16" router bit is a LOT stronger than a 1 mm bit, plus the surface speed will be a LOT faster with the bigger cutter. So yes, if you take very shallow cuts the chip loading will be a lot smaller and you could go a lot faster with the bigger cutter.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Worth noting: a 1/4" or 5/16" router bit is a LOT stronger than a 1 mm bit, plus the surface speed will be a LOT faster with the bigger cutter. So yes, if you take very shallow cuts the chip loading will be a lot smaller and you could go a lot faster with the bigger cutter.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi Roger,

This seems such an excellent solution. You and Khouj have restored my faith in CNC milling. I know what I am doing this weekend

Cheers

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

Herewith a scan plus two printouts (one with dimensions) from my ArtCam software

Cheers

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-rocker-box-dimensions-pdf   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-10a-pdf   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-rocker-box-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok this is all I need I need the measurement on this in millimeters the red lines

Edit: Ok after 5 minutes im done I cannot proceed without the precise measurements of the red lines sir....also the precise diameter of the tool bit you are going to use on it. just measure it with a caliper and post the measurements here in mm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-capture00132-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-1-jpg  
    Last edited by KH0UJ; 01-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Ok this is all I need I need the measurement on this in millimeters the red lines

Edit: Ok after 5 minutes im done I cannot proceed without the precise measurements of the red lines sir....also the precise diameter of the tool bit you are going to use on it. just measure it with a caliper and post the measurements here in mm.

The short red line is 65mm. The long red line is 86mm. I will use a 1/4" router bit (6.5mm dia). The four holes are 3mm dia. To mill out the inside of the rocker box, do I drill a, say, 8mm hole at the milling start point for the router bit to decend into? On my router bit, the cutting flutes only protrude about 0.4mm. If I try to step down too far, the centre of the router bit will hit the aluminium block as the cutting tips do not cover the whole of the end of the router bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWilliams View Post
    The short red line is 65mm. The long red line is 86mm. I will use a 1/4" router bit (6.5mm dia). The four holes are 3mm dia. To mill out the inside of the rocker box, do I drill a, say, 8mm hole at the milling start point for the router bit to decend into? On my router bit, the cutting flutes only protrude about 0.4mm. If I try to step down too far, the centre of the router bit will hit the aluminium block as the cutting tips do not cover the whole of the end of the router bit.
    The way I attack this kind of model is first I load a 3mm tool bit and punch the four holes with 3mm depth, then I zero all axis and install the 6.5mm tool bit then zero the Z axis on the material, then cut the inner first, it will have 4 tabs on it so that it will not move when the machine is done cutting the inner part, then last the outer part also with tabs, after the machining process, i`ll use a hack saw blade for metal on cutting the inner and outer tabs, then drill the 4 holes with an 8mm drill bit, this material is 40mm right?

It`s something like this

on an autoCAM process the inner part will be a pocket and of course it will take a very long time scraping all the middle hatch, while on a custom CAM it is direct to the point, you can still use the inner material for future projects

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-capture002-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here`s the code Gary sorry for the long delay, been working offsite lately, install the 3mm tool bit first, position the spindle on the material, zero all axis with the tool bit tip slightly touching the material, make sure you jog all corners to make sure it fits on the material, load the 3mm program and start plunging the pilot holes, after the program it will return to zero, turn off the spindle and press Z upwards enough to install the 6.5mm tool bit, after installing zero the Z axis again on the material, use 2% jog mode so that it will go down slowly slightly touching the material, zero all axis using "ref all home", start the spindle @ full speed (24000 RPM) and load the 6.5mm program, it`ll take you a whooping one hour and 28 minute to complete the program @ 100% FRO, use 50-50 kerosene+cooking as your lubricant just like I did on the video or you can use whatever coolant / lubricant you want available in your area by the way you dont need to worry about the depth cut, it`s only 0.25mm so it`s not gonna touch the middle part of your tool bit, it`s just like scratching the aluminum in a thin foil degree that you can run it all day without worrying of your tool bit getting dull in the middle of the program, flush the chips using compressed air and squirt some lubricant on it after blowing the chips away. enjoy milling with your router

Sorry I forgot, after all is done, extract the machined material using a metal hacksaw blade, I put a 2mm tabs on it to hold it`s place while the router is still working, grind the tabs to the level of your material, drill the pilot holes using a drill press to make it through the other side. it`s faster to just drill it than include it to the program because I was worried of the total height (40mm) using a 1/8 tool bit to create a 40mm long hole is too risky, I also doubt there`s an available 1/8 dia. 50 mm long available (40mm+10mm for the chuck to hold), the last time I used to cut 60mm thick aluminum it was just a straight long bit custom sharpened into a single flute. and the hole I cut on the model is 60mm in diameter not 8mm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-capture001-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-capture002-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

Thank you for all your efforts on my behalf. I now have the important information to sucessfully mill aluminium on my 6040Z! You have really sorted out how to mill inexpensively. I've been buying expensive super-duper end mills from Germany (and breaking them by milling too fast) and using aerosol cans of silicon lubricant. A simple router bit and a kerosene+cooking oil lubricant is an excellent replacement. The information you have give in this topic should be made a 'sticky' for noobie CNC users like me. I'll post some photos and videos of my first attempt.

Cheers

Gary

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gary

Depending on the alloy,it might be worth your while looking at two other sorts of milling cutters:
    * Aluminium-specific cutters - sharper angle on the cutting edge to slice into the aluminium better
    * HRC 55 rated or even HRC 65 rated cutters from someone like CarbideChiu on ebay (HRC is a steel hardness rating)
    Both may be a little more $$, but I have found them to be worth the money.

I use 3 parts kero to 1 part olive oil as a pulsed misting lubricant: works well.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger,

Thanks. I'll have a look at those cutters. I like the cheap lubricants you and Khouj use. I do have and air pump and valve/nozzle to create a mist and another 1" dia nozzle that I connect to my home vacuum system to suck up MDF and now, aluminium, chips. I really must make a decent bracket to hold these close to the cutting tool. Cable ties are a bit naff!

Cheers

Gary

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast