Anyone made their own low profile fixture clamps - like mitee bite pitbull?

Thread: Anyone made their own low profile fixture clamps - like mitee bite pitbull?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone made their own low profile fixture clamps - like mitee bite pitbull?

Hi,

I am in the process of making a large fixture plate to make a bigger run of parts that I have usually made. I usually just use my two vices with softjaws, and have a top op and backside op, but as the qnty has risen this makes less sense.

I can make a fixture plate to take 20-30 of these at once on my mill, it will be a really good thing to do, but I'm struggling to find a way to hold 5mm or less at the bottom of the part in the fixture - normally my vice can do this fine with a set of softjaws on, but on the fixture plate the only option I have found is the mitee bite low profile clamps and the pitbull clamp - but I can't bring myself to pay the sort of money they want for such simple devices.

Has anyone made there own?

I am thinking of using Hex steel stock to reduce machining, and having a go at making some - if anyone else has done this before I'd welcome your pointers.

Cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone made their own low profile fixture clamps - like mitee bite pitbull?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
    Hi,

I am in the process of making a large fixture plate to make a bigger run of parts that I have usually made. I usually just use my two vices with softjaws, and have a top op and backside op, but as the qnty has risen this makes less sense.

I can make a fixture plate to take 20-30 of these at once on my mill, it will be a really good thing to do, but I'm struggling to find a way to hold 5mm or less at the bottom of the part in the fixture - normally my vice can do this fine with a set of softjaws on, but on the fixture plate the only option I have found is the mitee bite low profile clamps and the pitbull clamp - but I can't bring myself to pay the sort of money they want for such simple devices.

Has anyone made there own?

I am thinking of using Hex steel stock to reduce machining, and having a go at making some - if anyone else has done this before I'd welcome your pointers.

Cheers
    Where do you think this system came from, this kind of clamping system have been used in many forms, since mass production was born, there is nothing new, with this clamping system, or any other that you can buy, they have just made it easy for people to buy it instead of making there own

If you are a machinist anything is possible, clamping techniques is the most important part of all types machining, it is all about time, do you have the time to design your own, and machine them, if you do, you have the answer

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone made their own low profile fixture clamps - like mitee bite pitbull?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Where do you think this system came from, this kind of clamping system have been used in many forms, since mass production was born, there is nothing new, with this clamping system, or any other that you can buy, they have just made it easy for people to buy it instead of making there own

If you are a machinist anything is possible, clamping techniques is the most important part of all types machining, it is all about time, do you have the time to design your own, and machine them, if you do, you have the answer
    errrr...

Thanks...