Need Help! problem after changing PC's

Thread: problem after changing PC's

Downloads
    Uploads

Default problem after changing PC's

I had to change my PC because of some issues with the monitor output , it was just easier and buying a refurbished PC on ebay with Windows 7 and 1 yr warranty is less than $75 so i did just that. The problem is now i get nothing from the motors? I use RS485 to control the spindle and that is working but nothing on the X Y A or Z axis, the newer_sh PC is running Windows 7 Pro. and I am not sure if that is the problem I have made the change in Ports and Pins as far as the parallel port goes and after that did'nt work I installed the Startech PCI board from another old PC thinking that was the problem and after changing to that Parallel port settings I do not get a green light on the C-10 BoB but if I change back to the Parallel port that came on the new PC the green and red light come on. So now i am pretty sure the onboard PP card is working. Keep in mind it all worked before changing PC 's and with the old PC I was using UC100 and C-10 for some reason I can't remember. So now I have this PC and a C-10 BoB without the UC100 that seems to be working but nothing coming out if the motors? I know I am missing something small and simple but my brain is dead thinking about it. Please let me know what it is I am missing and do I need the UC100, I don't think that works so well so I left it out .

Thanks

Pat

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: problem after changing PC's

It needs to be a 32 bit version of Windows 7 to use the parallel port. It it's 64 bit, it won't work, unless you use the UC100.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks Gerry, I just looked and it is a 64 bit, crap!! i just ordered a copy of 32 bit W7 software and I will give that a try. the whole reason for changing the PC is because after installing the UC100 every time I ran a G-code for a 3D model the CNC would freeze around line 3500 or so (varied) leaving the spindle running without anyway to control it short of the 220V cutoff switch, and it all started because the old PC had a bad parallel port so I though I was being smart (lol) anyway, thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

You would be far far better Not using the Parallel port. I have a Windows 10 computer I keep off the internet for my CNC control computer.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

The best OS for me using pport is WinXP. It isn't bloated with crap. I had glitches trying Win7. Luckily I have old XP discs from 2005 lol.

Bought a cheap motherboard combo as well just in case of PC failure.
    I can't be bothered updating to UC300eth and changing everything else yet.

When I update my systems I'll use windows 10.
    I only actvate it's network to transfer files.
    However, I found I don't get any faults with Mach3 if the wifi is active during running.
    My current PC has a lot of processor and ram though.

Downloads
    Uploads

so if you go to Windows 10, will you still have a parallel port card? and if not how will you connect to BoB? Using a UC100 adapter? I was using one of those and I think either it (UC100) was bad or just not installed the right way. If I would run a 2D G-code there was no problem but if I would run a 3D G-code I would get errors and the CNC would stop working almost like you pressed the emergency button, only the spindle would keep running. And it is a 2.2Kw 220V spindle, not a good idea. I did put an safty shut off switch for the 220V but that does not make it less scary. I was working with he guy from CNC4PC, where I bought the UC100 and also a BoB to match the adapter but the only thing he would tell me was to run the "installer" again and that would fix it until next time. I ran Windows 7 on the PC and no internet or any other programs at all for years and had no problem until the PP card went bad, that is where all this started, I got in touch with CNC4PC and asked about a PP card that would match up to the controller and he suggested using the UC100 instead, as this would soon be the standard because of this very problem. Again that is why I am starting over with a new (refurbished ebay) PC with Windows 7 and PP card, because it worked so well for so long

thanks
    Pat

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PJRU0304 View Post
    so if you go to Windows 10, will you still have a parallel port card? and if not how will you connect to BoB? Using a UC100 adapter? I was using one of those and I think either it (UC100) was bad or just not installed the right way. If I would run a 2D G-code there was no problem but if I would run a 3D G-code I would get errors and the CNC would stop working almost like you pressed the emergency button, only the spindle would keep running. And it is a 2.2Kw 220V spindle, not a good idea. I did put an safty shut off switch for the 220V but that does not make it less scary. I was working with he guy from CNC4PC, where I bought the UC100 and also a BoB to match the adapter but the only thing he would tell me was to run the "installer" again and that would fix it until next time. I ran Windows 7 on the PC and no internet or any other programs at all for years and had no problem until the PP card went bad, that is where all this started, I got in touch with CNC4PC and asked about a PP card that would match up to the controller and he suggested using the UC100 instead, as this would soon be the standard because of this very problem. Again that is why I am starting over with a new (refurbished ebay) PC with Windows 7 and PP card, because it worked so well for so long

thanks
    Pat
    I did the same. Got a refub Dell 780 and a radeon 7470 for £40.
    Loaded win XP and no probs whatsoever.

I reckon that because Win10 computers don't have a pport the windows drivers are defunc by MS.
    Tbf the UC100 always seemed like a bit of a band aid to me when pc manuf started removing the pport. and I wouldn't touch it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.

There are daughter LPT cards. You could get into the motherboard BIOS to disable the internal PC port and so set the card address to the original PC address. Or perhaps your software can be configured to use different addresses for the LPT card.

One brand I know of is MANHATTAN.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Parallel port is a NO-GO on 64-bit operating systems.
    Last known OS that lets Mach3 use the parallel port is Win7 32-bit.

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.

I´m not familiar with MACH 3 or any other software system for that matter as I write my own systems but to my understanding MACH 3 needs to be run on a 32 bit OS.

The LPT daugther cards include the needed drivers for both 32 & 64 bit systems. I know because I have used them.

I even have designed systems where two LPT ports are required hence I installed a card either with one LPT port to complement the one on the PC or a double LPT daughter card.

On a personal note I buy cards with double LPT ports just in case should any of the in-use ports fails. This far no one has failed but I rather have the additional and not use it than need it and not have it. Besides the price difference wasn´t really significant at the time.

Regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the help... happy to say that I just now got it back up and running. After all that it was the PP card, I replaced it and changed the settings for the new card and it started running fine, so lesson learned on my part I should have never got into the UC100 I just don't think it is very stable.

Thanks
    Pat

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PJRU0304 View Post
    thanks for the help... happy to say that I just now got it back up and running. After all that it was the PP card, I replaced it and changed the settings for the new card and it started running fine, so lesson learned on my part I should have never got into the UC100 I just don't think it is very stable.

Thanks
    Pat
    Glad to hear you got it going.
    Like I said. The UC100 seems like it came out as a bit of a band aid when they started removing the pport from PC's.
    I've always looked at it as a total bodge unit.