Mach 3 Homing the wrong way

Thread: Mach 3 Homing the wrong way

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach 3 Homing the wrong way

Hi,
    I'm just refurbing an earlier build and upgraded to proximity switches, using the existing Gecko 540 and 4 x Nema 24’s.
    I put four NPN proximity switches on it, 2 on the Y, one of the X and one on the Z. When I press Ref All Its homing to the top on the z fine but then heads off up the Y away from the front. I want to reference/home front left standing at the machine. Here’s a couple of screen shots. I ticked and unticked a combination of both these screen but it to no avail. Am I just looking in the wrong place
    Mach 3 Homing the wrong way-screen-1-jpgMach 3 Homing the wrong way-screen-2-jpg? Mach 3 Homing the wrong way-cncz-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach 3 Homing the wrong way

The menu shown in your screenshot controls the general direction of movement. Set it so that the machine moves correctly when you press up/down/left/right/PgUp/PgDown keys.

Homing is set up in Config - Homing/Limits menu. There is a tick mark labeled "Home Negative".

P. S. Also, your pin numbers don't seem to be set correctly.

You said you have 1 switch on the X axis - then why do you have both X++ and X-- set in the menu? Same goes for the Z axis.

On the Y axis, do you have one switch on each side of the portal? Why are they both wired to the same pin? That could make automatic squaring of the portal a bit problematic. Also, same problem with Y++ and Y--. You really have home switches, not limit switches, so it would be best not to use X++, X--, Y++, Y--, Z++ and Z-- at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    The menu shown in your screenshot controls the general direction of movement. Set it so that the machine moves correctly when you press up/down/left/right/PgUp/PgDown keys.

Homing is set up in Config - Homing/Limits menu. There is a tick mark labeled "Home Negative".

P. S. Also, your pin numbers don't seem to be set correctly.

You said you have 1 switch on the X axis - then why do you have both X++ and X-- set in the menu? Same goes for the Z axis.

On the Y axis, do you have one switch on each side of the portal? Why are they both wired to the same pin? That could make automatic squaring of the portal a bit problematic. Also, same problem with Y++ and Y--. You really have home switches, not limit switches, so it would be best not to use X++, X--, Y++, Y--, Z++ and Z-- at all.
    Thanks. Very good andswers and questions. I had totally forgotten about the Homing/Limits menu, dhoh!. This is a sign that working at low temperatures does not always make for rational descision making at the end of the day ha. I have motor on Y axis and slave the A xis to it, giving two motors on the Y. Your right i'll uncheck lots of these switches. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have all my limits and homing on the same pin and it works fine. All my switches are NC and wired in series. When the Homing sequence is started, Z goes to the top and hits the switch and backs away until its cleared, then X and then Y. When the machine is in the running mode the switches are now Limits. Works like a charm, I think it worked the same on Mach3 but its been a while and I'm on Mach4 now.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro