Problem Mach3 Partial Lockup

Thread: Mach3 Partial Lockup

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 Partial Lockup

I have a gantry configuration router with stepper motors and USB RnRMotionController, running purchased and licensed Mach3 on a Windows 7 Thinkpad. Laptop has all the power management and screen saver turned off, runs continuously.

On several milling jobs recently I've experienced the Mach3 GUI stops updating the g-code display somewhere in the middle of the program. The CNC motion program actually completes successfully, except last line which stops the spindle fails to execute. I have to exit Mach3 to clean things up. Yesterday had a more severe variant of the failure where it corrupted my mill.xml file.

So far when things screw up they don't seem to cause a motion error. I am thankful for that!

The jobs are 3D milling, with pretty big files up to ~80,000 lines of g-code.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 Partial Lockup

Confirming another instance of this. Machining sequence completes successfully. G-code display is stuck somewhere in the middle of the run. Spindle is still on, am able to turn it off manually. Unable to feed-hold and jog. Able to exit the program.

Seems like an identifiable problem signature. Anyone seen this? Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Try turning off the toolpath display and see if it helps.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Will try that. Had another instance today, and I can simply repeat the same cut with no work as a test. Does turning off the toolpath display mean editing the definition of the screen content? Or do you mean leaving the display there but disabling updates to it? The toolpath display shows up on two different tabs. Would I want to disable both? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Run-time option on Mach3 to turn the path display screen off. May help.
    How much free memory in the laptop?
    Any network connection (by any means)? This is a big no-no.

At the worst, you could try re-installing Mach3.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Ger21 and Roger,

Thanks for the suggestions. Turned off the path display and re-ran the program. Twice for good measure. First run terminated nominally. 2nd run terminated with all G code but the last completed per the code window display, and spindle still running. Stuck with a Mach3 error message which I could not close, could not touch Mach3 GUI, could not pull up program manager, had to hard boot the PC. It is XP, not Win7 as previously stated. Something is intermittent, not entirely deterministic (or I haven't identified the subtle determinism).

No, not running any networking. Wireless is disabled and Ethernet is unplugged.

How can the program motion commands all run to completion successfully, then get stuck with an error and fail to run just the last two lines in the file M05, M30??? That sounds like an identifiable signature!

-Vadim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vkonradi2 View Post
    Ger21 and Roger,

Thanks for the suggestions. Turned off the path display and re-ran the program. Twice for good measure. First run terminated nominally. 2nd run terminated with all G code but the last completed per the code window display, and spindle still running. Stuck with a Mach3 error message which I could not close, could not touch Mach3 GUI, could not pull up program manager, had to hard boot the PC. It is XP, not Win7 as previously stated. Something is intermittent, not entirely deterministic (or I haven't identified the subtle determinism).

No, not running any networking. Wireless is disabled and Ethernet is unplugged.

How can the program motion commands all run to completion successfully, then get stuck with an error and fail to run just the last two lines in the file M05, M30??? That sounds like an identifiable signature!

-Vadim
    Do you have a % at the top and bottom of the program this happens sometimes when this % code is missing

Never use the pause button when cutting a program this is a known problem with Mach3

May be it is time to get a UC100 that will free up your computer and run Mach3 a lot better, If you get one make sure it is genuine

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thinking...
    Not executing the m30 at the end could be one thing, although the program has run successfully on occasions.
    Not executing the m5 before that is another matter. That is a real problem.

Question: when the program fails to terminate, is it always at the m5 line, or is it sometimes in other places? And is it always hung up so you can't do anything?

Before spending any money, you could try reinstalling Mach3, using the .062 version rather than anything else. The version number is important.

If that does not work then I suggest the problem must lie in the hardware. You could try replacing the RnR with a genuine UC100, or a genuine ESS from Warp9. Both are known to work well. Neither are expensive. Sadly, we do know some of the Chinese clones have faulty code in them and do not execute all g-codes properly.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

When it gets stuck it seems right at the M5 line. The entire cut is completed successfully, and the spindle still spinning.

The severity of hang is variable: (sometimes no failure), sometimes MACH3 GUI unresponsive but am able to x-out of the window, other times MACH3 showed a persistent error dialog and some kind of OS wedge so I have to hard boot the PC with the power button. When in that error dialog I click OK, and another different dialog flashes by too fast for me to see, then replaced by the same error dialog, endlessly. Maybe I could video the screen in slo-mo then play it back to see the other dialog.

Interesting point about the Pause button. The total program is composed of 2 separate cuts, separated by a programmed pause and wait for cycle start. It self-pauses after making a boundary cut, I feed-hold, then jog far enough to remove the cut-off piece, then cycle-start to run the final cut 2nd sequence. But I am not doing any feed-hold while executing lines of code.

I'll try adding the % lines. I'll check my MACH3 version tonight. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

When it gets stuck it seems right at the M5 line. The entire cut is completed successfully, and the spindle still spinning.

The severity of hang is variable: (sometimes no failure), sometimes MACH3 GUI unresponsive but am able to x-out of the window, other times MACH3 showed a persistent error dialog and some kind of OS wedge so I have to hard boot the PC with the power button. When in that error dialog I click OK, and another different dialog flashes by too fast for me to see, then replaced by the same error dialog, endlessly. Maybe I could video the screen in slo-mo then play it back to see the other dialog.

Interesting point about the Pause button. The total program is composed of 2 separate cuts, separated by a programmed pause and wait for cycle start. It self-pauses after making a boundary cut, I feed-hold, then jog far enough to remove the cut-off piece, then cycle-start to run the final cut 2nd sequence. But I am not doing any feed-hold while executing lines of code.

I'll try adding the % lines. I'll check my MACH3 version tonight. Thanks!
    Cut and past the last few lines of your program there may be something wrong with how it is formatted also

Just add the % signs which should be in all programs it's part of how code should be formatted when there is a program fault it never stops at the actual fault line

Because of what you are doing mid program I would make it 2 separate programs and the last move of your first cut I would have it move to where you want it, you never want to hit the feed hold and jog somewhere, this could end up being a disaster

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Last few lines of the program are as follows. This was generated by DeskProto. This is the end of a waterline style 3D milling cut. A bunch of relative X-Y movements followed by a final absolute Z movement which raises the bit, then a command to turn off the spindle.
    G1 X323.571 Y-31.419
    G1 X323.286 Y-31.134
    G1 X323.000 Y-30.562
    G0 Z55.000
    M05
    M30

I guessed my procedure to feed hold during a pause then jog for clearance was ok because the code following is an absolute movement. And because it works fine in practice. For me this construct is a practical way to generate my boundary cut and final cut together, maintain my organization. Agreed if the jog were followed by a relative movement it would in fact be a disaster. Is there a fault in that logic? Entirely possible I admit.

In real-time programming the things that work sometimes and fail other times often boil down to timing. Maybe I need to insert a delay after the last move, before execution of the M05. For what root cause reason I have no idea. It just smells like it. I'm going to try that.

Really appreciate the help!
    Vadim

Downloads
    Uploads

Last few lines of the program are as follows. This was generated by DeskProto. This is the end of a waterline style 3D milling cut. A bunch of relative X-Y movements followed by a final absolute Z movement which raises the bit, then a command to turn off the spindle.
    G1 X323.571 Y-31.419
    G1 X323.286 Y-31.134
    G1 X323.000 Y-30.562
    G0 Z55.000
    M05
    M30

I guessed my procedure to feed hold during a pause then jog for clearance was ok because the code following is an absolute movement. And because it works fine in practice. For me this construct is a practical way to generate my boundary cut and final cut together, maintain my organization. Agreed if the jog were followed by a relative movement it would in fact be a disaster. Is there a fault in that logic? Entirely possible I admit.

In real-time programming the things that work sometimes and fail other times often boil down to timing. Maybe I need to insert a delay after the last move, before execution of the M05. For what root cause reason I have no idea. It just smells like it. I'm going to try that.

Really appreciate the help!
    Vadim
    The Feed hold is a known problem sometimes it works as you have found out, and sometimes it is a fail, your procedure may well be what the control likes when using the Feed Hold, and does it without any problems, my warning was just a heads up as I never had any problems with it as well, not that I used it very much

Code is fine just needs the % top and bottom of the program, and it should all work as programed

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Added the leading and trailing % lines. Each is %CRLF specifically. Ran the operation sequence 3 times and it failed on the 3rd run. Same symptom, all moves executed but the spindle-off command not executed and hung. So yeah it is one of those nasty intermittent things. Unfortunately did not respond to the % lines.

I think I'll chop down the sequence, investigate if there is any dependence on length of the move sequence. If I can pare it down to a manageable size that executes quickly (and still fails) I can iterate on experiments without waiting hours of machine time. Maybe experiment with adding delays before the spindle-off command.

Downloads
    Uploads

Added the leading and trailing % lines. Each is %CRLF specifically. Ran the operation sequence 3 times and it failed on the 3rd run. Same symptom, all moves executed but the spindle-off command not executed and hung. So yeah it is one of those nasty intermittent things. Unfortunately did not respond to the % lines.

I think I'll chop down the sequence, investigate if there is any dependence on length of the move sequence. If I can pare it down to a manageable size that executes quickly (and still fails) I can iterate on experiments without waiting hours of machine time. Maybe experiment with adding delays before the spindle-off command.
    How do you have the M5 On / Off controlled Relay or some other method, if you are having an electrical fault then it won't move past that point until it is completed

Are you switching a VFD Drive On / Off

A snip of your wiring would help could even be a Noise problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

vkonradi2

I came across this thread searching for a solution to the same problem. I'm wondering if you got this resolved, and, if so, how? I'm having the exact same issue, except the hangs I'm seeing aren't dependent on the G code. It just happens randomly.

I'm also wondering what controller card you used when this was occuring. I'm using the super cheap card called RNRMotion or BitSensor. It has a white eagle silked screened on the card. It seems to work OK, but I'm suspicion of anything this cheap from China. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The Feed hold is a known problem sometimes it works as you have found out, and sometimes it is a fail, your procedure may well be what the control likes when using the Feed Hold, and does it without any problems, my warning was just a heads up as I never had any problems with it as well, not that I used it very much

Code is fine just needs the % top and bottom of the program, and it should all work as programed
    Had to do a feed hold yesterday to remove a stuck bit of ally on a pre finishing pass.
    Started back up and it forgot how to do a radius. Instead of doing a bend it went through a diagonal going straight through my part.
    Didn't sound too good but it did cut at 12mm deep with a 3flute 6mm cutter at 500mm/min.

I am still playing with this new machine of mine and the fact it cut with no stall etc is Interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your running on the parallel port do yourself a big favor and switch to Warp9 ESS or I am running now PMDX USB card. I think your getting RFI or EMI causing glitches in your running program.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I had issues with odd things like this which is why I have moved on from Mach 3. From what I noticed mach 3 seems to work better on older computers and I have no idea why. The advice above about getting an ESS (Ethernet Smooth Stepper) is a good one. That made a big improvement for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I had issues with odd things like this which is why I have moved on from Mach 3. From what I noticed mach 3 seems to work better on older computers and I have no idea why. The advice above about getting an ESS (Ethernet Smooth Stepper) is a good one. That made a big improvement for me.
    Same thing Mach3 has some issues and some on here will argue that point, but going to Mach4 (and both ran Warp9 ESS ) solved those minor unexplained glitches .

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Same thing Mach3 has some issues and some on here will argue that point, but going to Mach4 (and both ran Warp9 ESS ) solved those minor unexplained glitches .
    With the trouble I had with mach 3 I was not confident about mach 4. Even with the ESS I had some really bizarre things happen. I actually went with a Centroid acorn instead of mach. So far I'm glad I made the switch.