Need Help! Suggestions for Inexpensive Computer(s) for Windows/Mach 3, Fusion and for LinuxCNC?

Thread: Suggestions for Inexpensive Computer(s) for Windows/Mach 3, Fusion and for LinuxCNC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Suggestions for Inexpensive Computer(s) for Windows/Mach 3, Fusion and for LinuxCNC?

Suggestions on inexpensive, but usable computers for running Fusion 360 and for Windows/Mach 3 (I have a license) and maybe also LinuxCNC?
    Minimum config for being usable?
    Oldish garage sale and surplus computers with parallel ports?
    Where does one obtain Windows inexpensively?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for Inexpensive Computer(s) for Windows/Mach 3, Fusion and for LinuxC

I guess the only possible snag may be in running Fusion.....I'm not sure.
    I good source, to me ,would be second hand Gaming Machines. They would have
    good solid processors, lots of RAM, and a reasonable video card, abeit, a couple of years old.
    Must be dozens on Ebay, or anywhere else people sell gear.Craigslist in the US?
    PC's with parallel ports are rare these days. I would look at getting a Motion Control Card, so you don't need to go that way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for Inexpensive Computer(s) for Windows/Mach 3, Fusion and for LinuxC

Where I'm you can get as many as you want from craigslist. I bought 6 of them.
    You can install the OS either 32 or 64 bit. If you want to run Mach 3 with a Pport you have to install it 32 bit.
    Running fusion 360 might be possible because it is cloud based so there is not much to install.
    You probably need maximum amount of Ram for fusion 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

A PC such as this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PC-I...EAAOSw4EJcyDyo
    Even a 2.6 core 2 duo would be plenty. 8gb ddr3.

Then throw one of these old boys in there and you'll be well away.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-N460GTX-Cyclone-1GB-DDR5-OC-Graphics-Card-Used-in-excellent-condition/274043943115?hash=item3fce4ab8cb:g:z2wAAOSwfmldbY8 T

Downloads
    Uploads

I also need help choosing a laptop. I work as a writer. I am writing this article for blogs https://d-addicts.com/customwritings...students/2019/ . I need a fast and functional laptop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ScotMarquez View Post
    I also need help choosing a laptop. I work as a writer. I am writing this article for blogs https://d-addicts.com/customwritings...students/2019/ . I need a fast and functional laptop.
    I'd get a refurbished Dell i3/i5 6th Gen.

I actually bought an older Dell not long ago (i3 3rd gen E5430 under £100gbp) and it is pretty damn good

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought an old Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB machine with LCD and wireless keyboard and mouse for $10. Has a parallel port on it.

Suggestions on where to get legit Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro?
    Which would be better for running Mach 3 under?
    I’m keeping my eyes peeled for an inexpensive i5 or i7 machine.

Is Ethernet SmoothStepper still a good thing for Mach 3? USB SmoothStepper?

Recommendations on digital step/direction compatible or regular +/-10V AC/brushless servo drives and motors, say 500W-1500W range for axes and 3.5KW for spindle?

And 4-6 axis, Mach-compatible servo controller recommendations?

Downloads
    Uploads

I use this stick PC running Mach 3 and UC300ETH. https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Windo...gitaltren0b-20

I can surf the net run Fusion 360 I simply have it plugged into the HDMI in an old TV with a wireless keyboard. Running windows 10 Home works perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post

Suggestions on where to get legit Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro?
    Which would be better for running Mach 3 under?
    I’m keeping my eyes peeled for an inexpensive i5 or i7 machine.
    Not sure about availability of XP anymore. I luckily have my retail discs from 2005.
    As for Windows 7 I bought a product key from ebay for £5. Downloaded the OS from Microsoft as ISO. Created bootable USB and it all worked fine.

I couldn't get Mach to work on 7 well enough but it was prob me.

Be warned though. XP will only work with older machines and will need a SATA controller driver under F6 install.
    There is also issues installing windows 7 on machines post generation 6 processors.

Windows 10 is being forced (and I hate it) and manufacturers are dropping support.

I just got a new laptop with a Ryzen 5. There are no drivers available for Win7 and it refuses to install it on the SSD anyway. If I'd known this I would have got a refurbished one from Generation 6.