New Machine Build How stiff is your machine?

Thread: How stiff is your machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How stiff is your machine?

Hi All - I'm designing a new router and I'm trying to determine what machine stiffnesses are out there. I'm currently using 10N/um or 10N/0.001mm as a guide. This is the stiffness at the bottom of the Z axis at maximum extension or say at the bottom of the tool clamp. Anyone know their machine stiffness or can you measure it? Ta Peter

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How stiff is your machine?

Hi All - I've done some research and there are machines out there from <10N/um to 100N/um. Mainly good info on vertical machining centres. Found some theoretical works and some practical. Still going with the 10N/um at the moment. Peter

I also found a reference to a Kuka robot that had 1N/um stiffness and it mentioned typical VMC at 50N/um so where in the ballpark.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-24-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unsure what size or type of machine you are going to be building, but you'll be surprised how hard it is going tot be to reach any of those figures. If you've ever gotten to push on a robot arm, even a small one, you'd be amazed at how rigid they are. Not sure if my benchtop machine (more rigid than a router for sure) would even make the 1N/um stiffness. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

But looking at the theory is quite fun and required for industrial machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- found this on a UK forum. Router gets 1N/um maybe 3N/um

stiffness measurements cnc mk3

Hi mcardoso - I used to program industrial robots and they are quite stiff. Search for Maximus in this forum, can follow its development if you like. So far I'm at 10N/um but thats theoretical. Got to shot somewhere. Found some article on a machine that was +100N/um was a very precise mill.

discussions here on 3-5N/um
    Planet CNC • View topic - Machine rigidity.

So far I think 10 is a good target

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How stiff is your machine?-machine-stiffness-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-24-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

After much reading on the topic thanks to this post, I agree with your number to shoot for. Certainly going to be tricky, good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mcardso - 10 is a good number, would be great if someone out there had a real number from a known machine like a CNC RP machine or shopbot? Peter