Need Help! backlash issues uc100 mach3

Thread: backlash issues uc100 mach3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default backlash issues uc100 mach3

I recently hooked up 4 of my mills with the uc100 . One uc I've had for quite a while and finally decided to hook it up , 3 others were bought recently thru either cnc drive or their authorized resellers (not ebay knockoffs) .

The problem that I'm running into is with backlash compensation in mach 3 . if I run with it disabled then everything is fine , but when backlash comp is enables then the motors stall out or lose steps . I have tried every type of setting to resolve this issue but backlash compensation really reacts badly with the uc100 . These are sold as supporting backlash comp but I don't see it .

These mills have been running for yrs and they produce parts on a production scale daily and have been for all this time , and I've never had these types of issues . I've been able to tweak a couple of the mills to the point of almost being trust worthy , but it's almost since they still screw up and stall the motors or lose steps in clusters (if that makes sense) , I can hear it here and there as the axis's are moving around .

I contacted cnc drive yesterday with the hopes of getting some insight to resolve this but I haven't heard back , and with it being the weekend I don't expect to hear back till the beginning of the week .
    As it stands I've pulled them off my mills until I can get a better understanding to if these actually support backlash comp or not . It 's a bit disappointing and I've also got one of their ethernet boards as well but I can't see that being any better .

Anyone have backlash comp working with the uc100 ? if so is there something you tweaked that I'm missing ?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: backlash issues uc100 mach3

Have you ever used backlash comp in Mach3, and do you know how to set it up properly?
    The Shuttle Accel setting is often the source of problems with backlash comp.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ger , as I mentioned I've been running these mills for yrs day and night , backlash comp has always been on and has always worked . I adjusted the shuttle from one end of the spectrum to the next , lowest being .005 , I've always had it set to .05 before now and the comp feed has always been set to 20 or 50% depending on the mill . I've adjusted the backlash feed from 5% to 100 , accel decel etc . Each mill reacts differently to the various settings . I've set the kernel speed from 25000 to 100000 . I've tried so many setting and combinations of setting but as long as the backlash is enabled the problem persists . I can minimize the problem but I can't seem to resolve it .
    before now everything has been connected thru pp and has been trust worthy , either I am missing something or these us100's don't actually support backlash comp . My milling doesn't consist of of simple 2d . I do a lot of surfacing where a tool can surface from 15 minutes to an hour , the tool is always changing direction and backlash comp is kicking in quite often . Even still , the motors can stall and lock up in rapiding from one point to another

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm beginning to think I'm sol . I've sent a couple emails but I've got no reply back from cncdrive , I'll keep trying because I just want to know if they actually support backlash comp as advertised or not . As it stands I've pulled them from my mills because I can't get good parts . If backlash is not supported in the uc100 then thats fine , lesson learned and they'll get tossed in the scrap pile . But , it would be nice to get them working right

Downloads
    Uploads

It should work, as it's a supported function according to the manual, and I see an LED that shows when it's active in the plugin window.
    What version of Mach3 are you using?

You might try posting on their forum, even though technically, it's mainly for their UCCNC software.

You might also look into trying UCCNC. It's very similar to Mach3, but much better imo.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

the kicker is that is says in the ads that it is supported and the led lights up when comp is getting kicked in , so it is sort of working but not properly . One mill i was able to get working with the backlash feed set to 100% another had to be set to 5% to get working the best , and when I say working I just mean what worked best with the least amount of stalling or lost steps .
    I've considered trying their software but I don't feel confident that it's worth pouring more water on a sinking ship . I've got $700 worth of their products and I can't get the respect of a simple reply to an email . I'm not knocking them but if thats what I can expect moving forward then it's not worth it for me . I've got a lot of product to put out in a week so plug and play is a necessity because i can't afford the down time , or anymore scrap parts
    A lot of guys knock mach and pp , but it's rarely let me down , which to me says a lot

Downloads
    Uploads

I've always received prompt replies to any emails I've sent, and questions on there forum are answered very quickly.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been polite and straight to the point , so I don't know whats happening there . I sent 3 emails and heard nothing back other than the automated reply that says they will reply when they can .
    Maybe I'll try their forum , it looks like no one on here has experienced the same issue

Downloads
    Uploads

still no reply to 4 emails , but I did get a response on their forum . In a nutshell , mach 3 backlash comp won't work with uc100 . Why it is said to be a supported function when it really isn't is beyond me but it is what it is .
    All this gear will get shoved into a bag and forgotten

Downloads
    Uploads

It's interesting, because I used backlash comp. with UC100 and with Mach3 and it worked but I switched to UCCNC software over a year ago so I have no mach3 anymore and can't test it now.

Downloads
    Uploads

he more or less said that to a certain level it is supported , but , overall it's not trouble free and the motors can lock up , which is the problems that I am having .
    He's offered to give me a refund on the uc100's that I've got , so I'll take him up on that offer