Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head

Thread: Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head

Looking for a manual, or diagram of the Journeyman 320 spindle head assembly. Will have to dig into the unit and would feell better about it if I had some documentation of how it all goes together (or comes apart).
    Any other docs on the mill would also be very welcome too!
    Thanks!

BC

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let me know if you find this info. If you don't take a lot of pictures and post them. I'm wondering about how to fit an encoder on the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tree Journeyman 320 Spindle

Will, I managed to get the gearbox completed. Replaced idler shaft bearings, and shaft-end o-rings (now it doesn't leak!). On the gearbox cover plate there is a plug (Welch?) directly over the spindle shaft. There could be a way to go through the plug, or the plug hole and connect to the sprocket underneath maybe? Might be room in there.
    I have attached the only pics I took of the re-assembly.

BTW: Thanks a million for the .pdf of the wiring diagram. I have been searching everywhere for info on the "Tree-Spin-Cont" board that controls the spindle speed. Could not find any info at all on it. Mine has a few burned resistors that could not be indentified. Page 19 had the complete schematic with part#'s and values!

Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120903_120637-jpg

Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120903_124728-jpg

Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120903_150525-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad the manual helped you out.

I see the reluctor wheel is directly belted/geared to the spindle. I wonder if that would be enough for rigid tapping. Maybe with a reluctor with more teeth?

Do you have any more info / pics of the gear shift mechanism?

Downloads
    Uploads

These are the only other pictures I have of the gearbox assembly.
    There are two shift forks, one raises/lowers the back-gear. The other one (slides on the shaft with the spring) is linked to the back-gear fork, and fits into a bushing on the idler shaft that engages/disengages the reluctor wheel. Basically I think what it is doing is driving the spindle with the belt in high range, and with gears in low range. I'll check tonight to be sure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120823_184023-jpg   Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120823_184049-jpg   Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120823_204933-jpg   Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head-a20120823_205013-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. So in picture 3 (gears on mill table) the power is coming in on the shaft on the right. Gear shift collar goes one way and power goes out on the pulley(top). Gear shift collar goes the other way and power goes out on the gear (bottom).

What is directly above the gear shift collar? Looks like a small straight cut gear?

Downloads
    Uploads

That is correct.
    I am not sure what the straight-cut gear is for, unless it's part of the clutch, it doesn't mesh with any of the other gears.
    Here is a link to a .pdf for an older mill (2UVR). The spindle gearbox is very close to the J320 in a lot of respects, and was actually helpful.

Here's a link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByT...GNhYVhaY0thRVU

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whats the top speed of your spindle? Mine tops out at 2900 or 3000 measured with a non contact tachometer? I'm debating trying to increase it with a VFD, maybe new bearings etc. or maybe I'll just move on from this mill to something else. I also want a tool changer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Was that in High Range? Seems too low. Any chance the vari-speed belt is slipping/worn? Could be the sheave lift, or counter spring is not adjusted properly.
    I have the whole spindle head rebuilt, but have not mounted on the machine to run it. Still working on overhauling the rest of the machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That was in high range. I haven't opened the head at all so anything could be worn. I have the spindle speed motor hooked up to a switch and I can increase and decrease the speed. It seems to be working properly. Did you replace your belt?

I'm reluctant to dig into it until I know there is a problem.

I would like higher rpm. Any thoughts on increasing spindle speed by increasing motor speed? Do you have the spindle bearing numbers or specs?

Downloads
    Uploads

High Speed on the Tree 320 is 450 to 3300 rpm.
    Low speed is 60 to 420 rpm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the definitive answer. Any thoughts on increasing spindle speed? Higher rpm motor with a vfd? Any idea what bearings are in there?

Downloads
    Uploads

If I were to go after a spindle speed project, I would use a VFD and a higher rpm motor. Unfortunately I have no idea what bearing are in the machine. I saw a post about a Tree upgraded to a Hitachi VFD, but he didn't specify the motor or RPM.
    I'm guessing fahrphrompuken didn't get the bearing info on the spindle when his gearbox was apart.

Here are a couple links to Tree conversions that address VFDs, but none really address max rpm due to bearings:
    http://www.cnczone.com/vb...pecial-101663/

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tree/3...n_310_vfd.html

I have the manuals for the mechanical repair of the machine, but nothing for the electrical side. On a different topic, do you have any info on the Tree spin control board? i.e. wire connections and adjustment?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have scanned the wiring diagrams that came with my machine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gothamm...7628431509777/ If you want higher res PM me your email address and ill email them to you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need manual for Tree J320 spindle/head

I have electrical information on this machine, do you still have the mechanical repair manuals? Would you share a pdf copy with me?

Thank you very much
    checkko