SFPM for dielectric canvas phenolic ??

Thread: SFPM for dielectric canvas phenolic ??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SFPM for dielectric canvas phenolic ??

I haven't run this stuff in years, and don't remeber what I ran it at. I'm thinking 300-500 with a med chip load? (.001-.003)

Any ideas?

BTW, milling, drilling 8" x 12" x .75" lots of small holes, .040ish +-.002 etc.

TYIA

'Rekd

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

I was running some a few weeks ago and was using 500 sfpm. A feed of .005 was working fine but needed to blow air on tools to help keep them cool
    as you are not suppose to use coolant as the material will absorb it.
    Also put a air filter on the machine to take away the fumes as they are not nice.Hope this helps.
    This material is not nice to your machine.Keep the ways wiped off with a oily cloth and change out your coolant when done.Make sure your spindle seals are secure,lost my spindle bearings and swear that I will never machine any phenolic again.

Downloads
    Uploads

That stuff is smelly when machined, We call it "that hard brown s**t"

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

'rekd

We ran thousands and thousands of Phoenolic parts about 5 years ago. The material was per Mil-P-15035. I checked and we were running:

Drilling around 250 SFM and .001 chip load on a .189 drill. Seems conservative, but we were running unattended pallets and reaming final size trying to hold good true position. These were carbide drills.

I think you could go close to Max RPM with .001/.0015 IPM on the drills you mentioned.

Facemills were running between 1500 and 4500 SFM (3" Face Mill at 6000 RPM) These were fairly light axial DOC and I think the lower SFM was cuts where the radial DOC was bigger (ie full width of cut)

+1 on the vacuum. I bought a BIG Niederman Filter Box Dust Collection System for the job. But like I said it ran for over a year and I could justify it. The guys had a big sign up over the machine that said "Welcome to Phoenolic City"

We set the dust collector up to suck across the fixture and mounted a spray mist nozzle hooked to an airline to the head on the machine. to just spray enough air on the cutter to clear the powder from the cutter. Blowing large abounts of air seemed to get the Sh@# airborne and didnt seem to provide any significant cooling effect as we could tell.

Hope something in there helps.

Oh one last thing ....

VO5 ... the shampoo . Youl need lots of it to wash that crap out of that mane of yours :rainfro:

CAM

Wee aim to please ... You aim to ... PLEASE.