New Wizard - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Wizard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One Problem Solved...

Andy and Gerry,
    Placing the 700 file in all the folders fixed the post code problem...but I now have the same problem detailed in my initial post with the generated code including the graphic of the inside or outside button.

Here's the code files: (Had to add .txt to upload them.)

Thanks,
    Fatboy
    Been working with CNC since Jan...but fairly computer savy, not a wiz or programmer however.

BTW: Thanks for the help!!!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Fatboy; 03-28-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Add text

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I'm a little confused. Are you claiming that you select a different type of path ( such as the "Pocket") but it generates code for the "Inside" circle routine instead?
    You will need to be a little clearer for me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Some Observations...

Ok, I've been looking at the generated code and see the G03 and G02 which coincide with the display. For some reason this is being inserted into the wizard post.

Like I said, I'm not a programmer (CNC or otherwise) but I have nothing but time and love a good challenge. Being self taught has it's drawbacks but I'm not able to attend any kind of formal training, the internet and forums like this one are the basis of my knowledge of the subject at hand. Youtube helps a lot too.

I'm going to remove the G03 lines and check the result.
    Thank you all for the opportunity to participate.
    Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you possibly referring to the leadins and leadouts? They are supposed to be there. I don't know what you mean by the "graphics". Exactly what kind of output are you expecting? I have run each of the different toolpath types and they do exactly what they should. Huh

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shinosky View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused. Are you claiming that you select a different type of path ( such as the "Pocket") but it generates code for the "Inside" circle routine instead?
    You will need to be a little clearer for me.
    What I get is the actual graphic that is on the selected button, 0( for outside or 0) for inside. This occurs on both my computers.
    Removing the G03 gave an bad result, like I said I'm not a programmer.

Now if I could just keep from moving the wrong mouse and typing on the wrong keyboard, the hazards of using 3 computers at one time.

Thanks,
    Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

That is the idea...to end up with a toolpath that looks like the button. What kind of results are you looking for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you possibly referring to the leadins and leadouts? They are supposed to be there. I don't know what you mean by the "graphics". Exactly what kind of output are you expecting? I have run each of the different toolpath types and they do exactly what they should. Huh
    They are Half moon cuts on either the inside of the circle or on the outside of the circle. I would expect just a circular cut, does the code that I posted not show the half moons? If they are lead-ins then why do they cut? My understanding of a lead-in is to position the tool in the correct location to z down and begin a cut. I have the idea that a lead-in is a straight move, but I could be wrong.

Just to be clear, the "On Center", "Pocket", and "Arc" do not have this half moon.

Also, when I run the code the cut starts at the end of the half moon arc and proceeds counteclockwise (G03) until the arc touches the circle and the cut follows the circle around clockwise (G02) to the arc. Then G03 completes the arc. If there are repeat cuts then the z retracts and the whole process is repeated. In other words I get 1-1/2 circles.

This happens on both my computers regardless of settings, plus there isn't a reverse finish cut option. The fact that I haven't read any other posts on this leads me to think that something is not right on my end. This might be a good time to learn about arcs ad quit using wizards as a shortcut.

Sorry to be a pain on the weekend...take the rest of the day off. I really should shup down all my systems till this major thunderstorm passes.

Thanks,
    Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Haha....Yes, the leadins "are" supposed to cut. In this case you would not want the cutter to plunge directly down onto the finished path because the cutter will tend to gouge the profile. The recomended method is to plunge away from the finish profile and then feed into the profile through a gradual arc and then gradually move away at the end of the profile. The other variations are for times when you don't want any leadin/out such as a radial slot. I hope this is clear now.
    Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One more little thing...

If I select "Conventional Cut" all the cuts are conterclockwise (G03) including the half moon. "Climb" cuts the half moon counteclockwise (G03) and the circle clockwise (G02).
    Same results in "Inch"/"Metric" or "2D"/"3D".

Thanks,
    Fatboy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haha....Yes, the leadins "are" supposed to cut. In this case you would not want the cutter to plunge directly down onto the finished path because the cutter will tend to gouge the profile. The recomended method is to plunge away from the finish profile and then feed into the profile through a gradual arc and then gradually move away at the end of the profile. The other variations are for times when you don't want any leadin/out such as a radial slot. I hope this is clear now.
    Andy
    Ok, then cutting just a simple circle is not what is going to happen here?
    My thought was that the ramping would be done in first few moments in the cut of the actual circle path, like what happens with cutting a pocket.

Also, why is there no such half moon lead-in cuts in the "On Center" selection?

I must be missing something here.

Hope that I'm not being difficult, I thought that I was gaining an understanding of cnc and I still have a truckload to learn but for some reason this makes no sense to me. I tend to play with all the buttons to see what each does and the effect on actual cuts...like I said earlier, I've got nothing but time to experiment. Even built a router to play with which to learn all I can.

Did you look at or try to dry run the code that I posted, I think that you would see what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks,
    Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure I looked at the code. It does what is intended. Conventional cut is used most often when your machine has backlash or slop in the mechanism. Climb cutting is preferred and used when your machine is tight without any slop in the screws and bearings. If you attempt to cut using a climb cut and you do indeed have backlash in your system the tool will climb ahead taking too great a bite resulting in a poor finish, or quite often in a broken cutter or worse. That is the reason for the climb/conventional option in the wizard.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andy,
    I completey understand the difference in conv and climb milling as I have been "playing" with machining for over 9 years...with the amount of backlash in my junk machines it was a quick lesson, however it's cnc that is new to me.

Let me ask just one more question. In the circle wizard written by Kiran, I get a good circle that includes the requested stepdown in the circle cut. Why is this not the case for me with your wizard?

I really like your wizard in that the dros are lined up unlike the Kiran (and most of the other wizards) which use the shotgun dro placement method. I hope to use it for pocketing, on line circles, and arcs.

I really appreciate all of your time and effort in writing this wizard and in helping me here.

Thanks,
    Fatboy
    My third grade teacher wrote on my report card that I was "Argumentive". Little did she know...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Let me ask just one more question. In the circle wizard written by Kiran, I get a good circle that includes the requested stepdown in the circle cut. Why is this not the case for me with your wizard?
    I'm guessing because Andy wrote the wizard to work the way He wanted it to, not the way Kiran wanted his to.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

OK...one more time
    The "Outside Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then offsets the toolpath to the outside and creates lead ins/outs. The finished part is a boss of the programmed size.
    The "Inside Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then offsets the toolpath to the inside and creates lead ins/outs. The finished part is a Hole of the programmed size.
    The "On Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then centers the toolpath to it without leads. The finished part is a Circular Slot of the programmed size.
    The "Pocket Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then offsets the toolpath to the inside and clears out the interior of the programmed circle. The finished part is a circular pocket of the programmed size.
    The "Arc" routine takes the programmed circle diameter with start and end points then centers the toolpath to it without leads. The finished part is a Circular Arc Slot of the programmed size.

Finally....slotted holes/arcs can't have leads, but bosses and holes can benefit from them. I really hope this clears it up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK...one more time
    The "Outside Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then offsets the toolpath to the outside and creates lead ins/outs. The finished part is a boss of the programmed size.
    The "Inside Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then offsets the toolpath to the inside and creates lead ins/outs. The finished part is a Hole of the programmed size.
    The "On Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then centers the toolpath to it without leads. The finished part is a Circular Slot of the programmed size.
    The "Pocket Circle" routine takes the programmed circle diameter then offsets the toolpath to the inside and clears out the interior of the programmed circle. The finished part is a circular pocket of the programmed size.
    The "Arc" routine takes the programmed circle diameter with start and end points then centers the toolpath to it without leads. The finished part is a Circular Arc Slot of the programmed size.

Finally....slotted holes/arcs can't have leads, but bosses and holes can benefit from them. I really hope this clears it up
    Ok, I came out to the shop and cut three different circles (inside, on center, and outside) using the same dro setting for each. Material is .042" vinyl siding scrap. Took a still pic from the video cam and posted below.

One thing that stands out in the above post is the word "boss". I don't want to create any bosses, all my work is thin material. However, I do understand feed-in to allow an end mill to reach a set depth while in motion to create a desired boss in a piece of stock. I guess the difference in the words CIRCLE and CIRCULAR in this context confused me. Also the use of lead-in to me means that the tool is not cutting while transversing to the point of a cut.

Sorry for being difficult.

Fatboy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Wizard-circles-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that most of your problems seem to be that your interpretation of the terms used is different from what is intended.

Boss could also be considered a disc, when cutting thin materials.

As for Lead ins and Lead outs, I typically use them to ramp into the material

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm basing my understanding of lead-ins as the traces shown in the g-code graphic depiction. Also the fact that they can be turned on or off in Lazycam which displays them as the rapid moves between cutting locations. (Leads Off button, in the project info box "Leadins Turned Off") None of the pieces that I have finished using Lcam cut the leadins. To me once a cut is started the leadin ends...
    I certainly wouldn't want to be dragging the cutting bit across the work piece during a rapid move to a cut position.

One good thing, I have begun to write my own code for circles and shapes that suits me and they cut as written.

Thanks for the help,
    Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

A rapid move and a lead in move are not the same thing. Another misunderstanding, or miscommunication.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Crow stops here.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    A rapid move and a lead in move are not the same thing. Another misunderstanding, or miscommunication.
    I have seen the light...you're right and I was incorrect.

To Andy and Ger21, I owe you both a big apology...sorry that I wasted so much of your time.

Fatboy
    Crow tastes like raw chicken that's been sitting on the counter for a week!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast