XYZ Probe modification - Page 5

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: XYZ Probe modification

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fixture and holder

Here is the fixture and holder I made. Fixture is 3" square and 1" thick counting the plastic base. Base is recesed 1/8" back from edge in case there is sawdust so the metal will fit tight against the stock in edge finding. The fixture can also be placed on edge if stock is too thick for it to be used flat. This has to be one of the best things since commercial sex!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ Probe modification-zerofixture-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

I love this thread, and have already made the center and Z height fixtures, and got them to work. Here's the problem, I'd like to be able to use these in the middle of a program upon a tool change. When I try it, a couple of odd things happen. I get the message "Cannot probe with cutter radius comp on" and at other times, "Cannot change units with cutter radius comp on Line number #0". This latter one occurs when using the "Run from here" command, I think. I have added a G40 code to the VB script for the auto tool zero button that I got from this site, in order to cancel the cutter compensation mode before checking the depth.

However, I'm wondering if it's possible to retrieve and store the status of the cutter comp (G-code 41 or 42) at the beginning of the script, cancel it with G40, then run the script listed in this thread, and finally run the appropriate g-code (again G41 or G42) to get back to where I started. This would all be written into the VB script for the Auto Tool Zero button.

There may be an easier way to do this, and if so, I'm all ears!! Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'm including the VB Script as I currently have it below for ease of use.

PlateThickness = GetUserDRO(1151) 'Z-plate thickness DRO

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then 'Check to see if the probe is already grounded or faulty

Code "G40" 'This is to cancel the modal G41 or G42 code. (Added by mr. technical)

DoOEMButton (1010) 'zero the Z axis so the probe move will start from here
    Code "G4 P2" ' this delay gives me time to get from computer to hold probe in place
    Code "G31Z-2 F5" 'probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move
    While IsMoving() 'wait while it happens
    Wend
    ZProbePos = GetVar(2002) 'get the exact point the probe was hit
    Code "G0 Z" &ZProbePos 'go back to that point, always a very small amount of overrun
    While IsMoving ()
    Wend
    Call SetDro (2, PlateThickness) 'set the Z axis DRO to whatever is set as plate thickness
    Code "G4 P0.25" 'Pause for Dro to update.
    Code "G0 Z.3" 'put the Z retract height you want here
    Code "(Z axis is now zeroed)" 'puts this message in the status bar
    Else
    Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)" 'this goes in the status bar if aplicable
    Exit Sub
    End If

Downloads
    Uploads

Ernie,

I just wanted to thank you again for this thread as it got me to finally go ahead and get into (and finish!) this project. This is a huge time saver and quite a convenient tool to use. I also wanted to thank Lester Caine over at the Taig forums for helping me connect this in the proper manner on my particular controller.

Thanks again!
    Dave

Dave->..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Not working properly

I have installed the Mach Blue screen and the probe modifications as well as hooked up the necessary wires for the touch plate but have a problem.
    Mach thinks the touch plate is grounded most all the time. Sometimes the probe test light will flicker off but very rarely.
    I am using the Bob Campbell breakout board, aux input pin 15 have Mach probe configuration set to active, port 1 pin 15 active low.
    The LED on the breakout board will turn on when I touch the plate to the ground wire and will go off when they are not touching but Mach thinks they are connected all the time.
    Anyone have any ideas?

This is a great idea and hope I can get it working soon.

Thanks
    George Skinner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cnc board

I have a board that does not bring all the pins out through the cnc board can I solder right to the printer port connection?? if not how can I bring the remaining
    pins out so I can add a probe and some limit switch?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cncwanabe2

You should probably connect another breakout board through a second parallel port and do it that way. There are some really cheap solutions available now.

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am still having this problem. Mach thinks the plate is grounded all the time even without anything connected to the parallel port. Yes I do have the pin set to active low. I have Mach on my office computer and it seems to work properly although the computer is not hooked up to my router.
    Has anyone had a problem like this with any particular computer boards?

Thanks
    George

I have installed the Mach Blue screen and the probe modifications as well as hooked up the necessary wires for the touch plate but have a problem.
    Mach thinks the touch plate is grounded most all the time. Sometimes the probe test light will flicker off but very rarely.
    I am using the Bob Campbell breakout board, aux input pin 15 have Mach probe configuration set to active, port 1 pin 15 active low.
    The LED on the breakout board will turn on when I touch the plate to the ground wire and will go off when they are not touching but Mach thinks they are connected all the time.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ??

how can I get another printer port?

the controler I have does not have a break out board every driver goes right to the pins on the printer port connector so can i just add a wire and resistor to an empty pin if not what would I need to do to the pin to make mach 3 understand it

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

cncwanabe2,

how can you get another printer port?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815317014

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post
    I am still having this problem. Mach thinks the plate is grounded all the time even without anything connected to the parallel port. Yes I do have the pin set to active low. I have Mach on my office computer and it seems to work properly although the computer is not hooked up to my router.
    Has anyone had a problem like this with any particular computer boards?

Thanks
    George

Anyone have any ideas?

George, I would seriously ask this question over at the Mach 3 forum. The guys are great there and I'm sure someone would help you figure that one out -

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php

Dave->..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Excellent post

excellent post I am going to rig this up tomorrow! Thanks for doing all of the hard work for me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am still having this problem.
    George
    I have seen this once on another post.... what they did to correct it was uninstall Mach and deleted the screens. Then reinstalled and inserted the screen and it worked properly...Sometimes Windows gets confused (simple explaination) Hope that helps

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Question XYZ Zero and their Relationship to Cut Start Point

Ernie

I just finished building your XYZ tool/utility and an anxious to try it.

Have several questions and will use the shotgun approach to ask, I don’t know enough about the system to put them in a good order. Am using Mach3 and LazyCam to translate DXF files to Gcode.

Have a question about the use of your XYZ tool/utility and its relationship to the piece being cut.

When you Zero, then press the X-Y Zero axis button this sets those axis to Zero. How does this relate to where the part will be cut?

I have downloaded several DXF files from the Forum and when I load them, many times they appear off the screen, or at least not where I would like to cut it. Will your XYZ tool/utility fix this?

Or is the start position hard coded into the Gcode? How do I change it to the X-Y zero position using your utility?

Thanks,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool position

Mr. Chips-

The commands in a g-code file specify x,y and z coordinates for cutting. If you use the XYZ Probe to move the cutter to a position on your work piece corresponding to a point in the g-code file you should set the DRO values to those of the g-code file for that spot.

For example suppose you have the following g-code program:
    G1 1 1
    G1 1 2

This will move the cutter head to xy position 1,1 and then move in a line to xy position 1,2. To cut this line at an exact spot on your work piece, put the pipe touch tool over the starting location for the line. Manually position your cutting tool inside the pipe and mouse click the center button on the probe panel. Then change the x DRO to 1 and the y DRO to 1.

The key here is that you need to know the g-code x,y value for a specific feature of your part. That could be the origin, a corner, or any other easy to identify feature. You then center over that feature using the XYZ probe and then change the DRO readouts to the values for that feature.

If you are unsure about how the g-code file was created you need to read through it to find what coordinates were used.

I hope this helps-

Ernie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

erniebro........... great work and a very interesting read, keep up the good work

cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by erniebro View Post
    Mr. Chips-

The commands in a g-code file specify x,y and z coordinates for cutting. If you use the XYZ Probe to move the cutter to a position on your work piece corresponding to a point in the g-code file you should set the DRO values to those of the g-code file for that spot.

For example suppose you have the following g-code program:
    G1 1 1
    G1 1 2

This will move the cutter head to xy position 1,1 and then move in a line to xy position 1,2. To cut this line at an exact spot on your work piece, put the pipe touch tool over the starting location for the line. Manually position your cutting tool inside the pipe and mouse click the center button on the probe panel. Then change the x DRO to 1 and the y DRO to 1.

The key here is that you need to know the g-code x,y value for a specific feature of your part. That could be the origin, a corner, or any other easy to identify feature. You then center over that feature using the XYZ probe and then change the DRO readouts to the values for that feature.

If you are unsure about how the g-code file was created you need to read through it to find what coordinates were used.

I hope this helps-

Ernie
    Hmmm. Lost in Translation.

Below is the first few lines of "Tinkerbell" in BLUE text.

The first listing of X and Y I see is "X5.3771 Y0.3814 " And from the screen display in Mach3 it looks like that would be the lower left corner of the cut.

So, set the XYZ too to the lower left corner of the piece of wood and zero, then type in 5.3771 for X and 0.3814 for y and then press start to cut. Is this correct??

If not I need another clue.
    Thanks.

N5 (File Name = Tinkerbell on Sunday, June 29, 2008)
    N10 (Default Mill Post)
    N15 G91.1
    N20 G0 Z1.0000
    N25 M3
    N30 X5.3771 Y0.3814
    N35 Z0.1000
    N40 G1 Z0.0000 F60.00
    N45 G3 X5.2902 Y0.4548 I-0.9804 J-1.0715
    N50 X5.2514 Y0.4595 I-0.0230 J-0.0282
    N55 G1 X5.2316 Y0.4441
    N60 G2 X5.0628 Y0.3448 I-0.2400 J0.2147
    N65 X4.8599 Y0.4139 I-0.0334 J0.2340
    N70 X4.5540 Y1.4613 I0.8738 J0.8235
    N75 G0 Z1.0000
    N80 X4.6899 Y2.9715
    N85 Z0.1000

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setting DRO's

Mr. Chips-

That should do it. Give it a try. (If you zeroed z at the top of your work piece it looks like this file will just cause the cutter to run along the surface of your work piece...)

Here's some comments on what your code is doing-

N20 G0 Z1.0000 -- rapid move to 1.0000 in z

N25 M3 -- turn on the spindle

N30 X5.3771 Y0.3814 -- rapid move to 5.3771, 0.3814 (this line should cause no movement if you already set x,y DRO's to this value)

N35 Z0.1000 -- rapid move to z = 0.1000

N40 G1 Z0.0000 F60.00 -- move to z = 0.0 at feed rate 60.0

etc.

-Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by erniebro View Post
    Mr. Chips-

That should do it. Give it a try. (If you zeroed z at the top of your work piece it looks like this file will just cause the cutter to run along the surface of your work piece...)

Here's some comments on what your code is doing-

N20 G0 Z1.0000 -- rapid move to 1.0000 in z

N25 M3 -- turn on the spindle

N30 X5.3771 Y0.3814 -- rapid move to 5.3771, 0.3814 (this line should cause no movement if you already set x,y DRO's to this value)

N35 Z0.1000 -- rapid move to z = 0.1000

N40 G1 Z0.0000 F60.00 -- move to z = 0.0 at feed rate 60.0

etc.

-Ernie

I just have to pick up and solder in a cap. And I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am having trouble editing the buttons on the Mach Blue screen set. When I go to operator and edit edit button script the cursor changes to the finger and I click on one of the probing buttons and it prompts for a password. What is the password? Is there any way around this? -Adam

www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Polarity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    ErnieBro,
    I used pin 15 on my HobbyCNC Pro board. You may also have to connect a 0.10uf capacitor between the wire and ground.
    "Thanks
    Ernie,

I'm retired and we have been traveling and now I'm back and ready to give it a try.

Is there a polarity with caps? Or can it be soldered in either way? I'm gun shy at this electronic stuff.

Thanks
    Hager

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast