Hi all,

I am trying to make a useful z-height thing to run during an M6 tool change call. This is for a router-style machine where the tool height is variable because of the collet-holder, so i want to read and zero the tool at each change.
But Mach does not seem to work right if i try to call G31 two times in the same macro. Does this make sense?

Additionally, it seems that my chinese break-out-board w/ Ethernet SmoothStepper does not implement GetVar(2002), so i'm loading the z-height from the DRO.

That seems to work fine for the first run of G31, but the second time G31 runs, it will not stop its negative z travel before it reaches the point where the first G31 stopped! Yikes! During that time, i can see the "probe" LED turn on and off in the "diagnostics Alt-7" page, so signals are going places.

Once we pass the point where the first G31 stopped, it will respond to probe input and quit its negative z travel. Whew.

But the DRO value for z, whether we check
GetDRO(2)
or
GetOEMDRO(1002)

always contain the z-height from the first run of G31, never the second.

Banannas! Anybody know a fix? I've spent all day thinking i was either crazy or braindead trying to fix this before finally deciding it must be a bug of some sort, or??

Code:
slowFeed = 10 'in/min

OldProbeTouch = 0
NewProbeTouch = 0
ToolHeightDifference = 0

currentZ = 0
newZ = 0

allowedBreakThrough = 0.002 '2 thousandths of an inch

ToolChangeX = GetUserDRO(1200)          
ToolChangeY = GetUserDRO(1201)
ToolChangeZ = GetUserDRO(1202)       'use Settings / tool change location / for touchplate location

GageH = GetOEMDRO( 1001 )            'Gage Block Height from offsets screen *upper left hand one

Code "G53 G0 Z" & ToolChangeZ ' go to tool change z location FIRST
Code "G53 G0 X" & ToolChangeX & "Y" &ToolChangeY ' go to tool change x & y location SECOND

'FIRST PROBE CHECK'

Code "G31 Z" & -3  & " F" & slowFeed          'G31 is probe command
	                                                    'enabling G53 (absolute coordinates' for z argument could help us target the bed of the machine
	                                                    'or let soft limits help prevent a crash?
	                                                    'If we don't find the probe within the z move
	                                                    'we throw an error

While IsMoving()
		Sleep(10)
	Wend

'	If GetOEMLed(825) = True Then         'Probing successful
		'OldProbeTouch = GetVar(2002)      'Exact height touch plate was contacted  // DOES NOT WORK ON CHINESE MACHINES?
		OldProbeTouch = GetDRO(2)
		'OldProbeTouch = GetOEMDRO(1002)
		code "g4 p.5"
		Code "G1 Z" & OldProbeTouch      'Go there (corrects for potential over-run)   
		While IsMoving()
		Wend

'	Else 
'		Message("Zero not achieved - Check probe and try again manually")
'	End If 
'FIRST PROBE CHECK'

MsgBox ("hit cycle start to begin second probe")
	SystemWaitFor (Start) 'Pause macro to jog the Z axis close to the switch

'SECOND PROBE CHECK'
   	Code "G53 G0 Z" & ToolChangeZ ' go to tool change z location 
	Code "G31 Z" & -3  & " F" & slowFeed          'G31 is probe command
	                                                    'enabling G53 (absolute coordinates' for z argument could help us target the bed of the machine
	                                                    'or let soft limits help prevent a crash?
	                                                    'If we don't find the probe within the z move
	                                                    'we throw an error

'	If GetOEMLed(825) = True Then         'Probing successful
		'NewProbeTouch = GetVar(2002)      'Exact height touch plate was contacted // DOES NOT WORK ON CHINESE MACHINES?
		NewProbeTouch = GetDRO(2)
		'NewProbeTouch = GetOEMDRO(1002)
		code "g4 p.5"
		Code "G1 Z" & NewProbeTouch      'Go there (corrects for potential over-run)   
		While IsMoving()
		Wend

'	Else 
'		Message("Zero not achieved - Check probe and try again manually")
'End If 
'SECOND PROBE CHECK'

ToolHeightDifference = OldProbeTouch - NewProbeTouch

currentZ = GetDRO(2)
newZ = currentZ - ToolHeightDifference

Call SetDRO(2, currentZ) 'set work coordinate z0 based on difference between old and new tool

newZMin = NewProbeTouch - GageH - allowedBreakThrough

Message("Old Height " & OldProbeTouch & " New Height " & NewProbeTouch & " Toolheighdifference " & ToolHeightDifference & " new Z should be: " & newZ & " new Zmin should be: " & newZMin)

'   SetOEMDRO(158, newZMin)     'OEMDRO 158 is the z min limit
				'set it to be at the tip of the tool when the touchplate is removed