help wiring in MPG handheld pendant to work with mach3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help wiring in MPG handheld pendant to work with mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default help wiring in MPG handheld pendant to work with mach3

I have just bought an ISMM2080 handheld jog pendant and want to wire it in to work with mach3 on a cnc router.

I have purchased a second parallel port for my computer and a 25 pin solder port so I can connect all the wires. I am hoping someone has wired one of these before as I dont want to damage it by my lack of electrical know how.

On the wiring diagram there seems to be several choices for wires number 3 and 4 and 9 and 10. I think I ignore purple and purple/black for line driver? and pink and pink/black as I only need x,y,z?

What I need to know is assuming I have the above bit correct do the numbers on the wiring diagram follow the port designations so I only use pins 1-17?

Here is the link for the wiring diagram

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/p...68%20Range.jpg

As well as the coloured wires there is also a wire with no sheathing on, just a bare wire which has been solder prepped from the factory, where does this go?

Thanks for any help.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help wiring in MPG handheld pendant to work with mach3-ism2080_handwheel-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the information you need to wire it to a second parallel port: http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/guide_fo..._over_LPT2.htm. You can use the supplied brains.

Please note you should wire the e-stop button to relay that will disable your system, as you should not leave mach3 alone to disable to shut down your system, as it the cause of the need for e-stop could be a problem related to the PC control. You could use our C22 – Pendant Interface Board: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=159, which comes with this relay. This wiring sample shows more information on how it is done: http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/E-STOP_RELAY.pdf. That is why all our breakout boards come with a terminal that allows the system to be disabled at hardware level.

Please also note there are also other ways of commenting this pendant to Mach3:

1. Modbus: Please we offer a Modbus system with 64 I/Os, of which 16 can be analogs. : http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=39. Check the M13 : http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=184. Gives you the following features:
    a. Comes with a DB25 connector for connecting the pendant.
    b. Has a relay that reflects the status of e-stop, which can be used to disable your system at hardware level on e-stop.
    c. Has lots of additional I/Os, this board is very practical for configuring advanced control panels with lots of buttons, knobs and lights. Many users when retrofitting, just fit the board in the existing control box, wire all the buttons and knobs to the board, and just run a serial cable back to the PC.
    d. You can use the plugin for easy configuring the pendant (and other stuff connected to the M13 board): http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=209.
    2. PoKeys: We offer a mother board and a Pokeys core board: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=54. If using the M2 Mother Board: . You will have the following benefits:
    a. Has a DB25 connector for connecting the pendant.
    b. The M2 has a relay that reflects the status of e-stop button, which allows handling e-stop at hardware level.
    c. You can use the supplied brains and instructions.
    d. You can use lots of additional expansion boards, including keypads, LCD displays, and lots boards with additional features. There are several other boards in the works.
    e. Configuring and programming it is fairly easy using mach3 brains.
    f. Plugins to empower the user with new features are in the works.
    Arturo Duncan
    http://cnc4pc.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the reply arturo. Is it possible to wire it directly into the 25 pin port I have bought to go on the end without using c22 boards and adaptors and such like?

Downloads
    Uploads

It could be possible....

Just remember what I said about e-stop.

You will also need an external power supply.

You can use the information I sent to make your own circuit.

Arturo Duncan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

do I just use the pin numbers in the LPT2 column in the table you provided to convert from the wires on the MPG pendant?

I have 2 e-stops on the machine and controller anyway, can I leave out the one on the pendant for ease of setup?

Do you know what the 'bare' wire coming out the MPG is for ?

Thanks for all the help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh you mentioned about needing an external power supply, does that not come direct from the 2nd parallel port?

Downloads
    Uploads

The pin numbers and cable colors are in the links I sent.

If you have two e-stops, they should be connected in series, so that any of the buttons can open the circuit an trigger e-stop (now you see why the C22 has a relay?).

A parallel port cannot source current for external devices, you need an external power supply. You could draw power from the USB port.

Arturo Duncan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I still cant get the MPG pendant to work and its driving me absolutely mad.

I initially thought it was the LPT2 address and it turned out I did indeed have it wrong, so reset it to 0xECF8 in mach3. As far as I know the port works fine, I can use a printer from LPT2 no problem.

I wired the pendant into a 25 pin connector as per the cnc4pc document so:

red and orange/black were connected to USB + 5v
    black and white/black were connected to USB ground
    green to pin2
    white to pin3
    yellow to pin4
    yellow/black to pin5
    brown to pin6
    nothing to pin7
    grey to pin8
    grey/black to pin9
    orange to pin10

the e-stop blue and blue/black were left disconnected for now until I can get it working and I dont think I need pink, pink/black, red/black and brown/black. I am fairly sure what I have done so far is wired correct. There is still a bare non coloured wire which has solder on the end and not sure what that is?

I have followed cnc4pc`s instructions manual for settings and loading the brains etc and when I plug it in the led light comes on but absolutely nothing happens.

In diagnostics the output 6 light is on.

What tests can I do to start eliminating things and hopefully reduce the hair pulling and get it sorted?

Downloads
    Uploads

I suggest you get one of these: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=159.

Arturo Duncan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dougie

Just a thought. Have you checked tha your LPT card is working OK? Suggest you try a bidirectional printer (one that reports on the printer ink levels or better still incorporates a scanner) on the new card. If this checks out OK then try and configer Mach3 to use that port and check each line input monitoring from the Mach config ports and pins screens.

If the second port can be used in a bidirectional mode and the pendant is still playing dead. Look at the driver rescources as it is possible that the second card has not been automatically configured at the BIOS interupts level. I am not a computer wiz but the memory and interupt settings need to different for the two ports to work. Perhapse an expert in PC configuration will step in and help.

Arturo's suggestion of one of his interface cards will solve the emergency stop configuration but I suggest that the new card be verified as OK first.

Hope this helps

Pat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Arturo, just requested a shipping price for 2 off C22 interface cards. I will get some in anyway.

Pat, the PCI card is made by sunix and is a 4008T, looking on their website they are all bidirectional ports.

I have used the gecko driver/motors on the LPT2 and everything jogs and seems to work fine. I have also plugged a printer into LPT2 previously and it works.

I can get 2 lights to come on and off when I rotate the pendant wheel but absolutely nothing else, no movement it all seems locked out.

I am going to try the C22 interface and go from there, if that doesnt work then im in bother

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dougie

The LPT port is bidirectional and I think the substitution tests you have done may only have tested control from the PC to the printer / Gecko. My point is that the MPG is using the input capability of the LPT extended interface. If you are using XP as the operating system then plug and play should have found the 'new' card and configured it with out your help. BUT it is possible that there will be shared interupts and memory locations that overlap. These are shown in the driver configuration under the control pannel/system/hardware tabs for the LPT ports. Major problems are indicated by XP in yellow so if you have no yellow you are probably OK.

You mention lights when the encoder is rotated. Are the 'lights' on the Mach3 Jog screen? At the risk of stating the obvious the quadratue inputs need to be configured in Mach3's ports and pins. Since you have no machine movement can we assume you can still jog the axis using the on screen buttons in the MPG sub window?

Can we also assume that the pendant has been configured correctly as set out in the Mach3 manual paragraph 5.3.5?

The boad you have ordered from CNC4PC is brill for sorting out the problems of adding 'Estop' functionality and possibly improving noise imunity due to the buffering. However the quadrature signals from the rotating dial appear to either not reach the appropriate Mach3 input port/pins you have configured due to faulty pendant or wiring. There is a remote possibility the Mach3 has become corrupted but this is a very remote possibility.

Regards

Pat

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick thought.
    Did you check the box to use pins 2-9 as inputs on one of the config pages in Mach3.
    I don't use pports much but remember seeing this on one of the pages.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are no yellow question marks in device manager.

My comment about the lights when the encoder was rotated were a bit confusing sorry. They came on in diagnostics under certain conditions BUT when the MPG was plugged into LPT1. I cant seem to recreate it now.

I have plugged everything back in as normal with the gecko/motors to LPT1 and pendant to LPT2, pins 2-9 box was ticked all the time yes.

If I open the jog pane by pressing tab I can move the axis using the keys in continuous mode, nothing happens in MPG mode.

If I disable all the brains nothing at all but when I press the enable button I get a green light coming on in diagnostics, all brains disabled the LED is not on. As soon as I enable the axis_jogres_selector_ brain the red light comes on but so does the input#6 red light. Its all very strange, my C22 boards were sent out yest so hoping they arrive next week and I can solve this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dougie

Might be worth checking again that the pins for the encoder from the MPG are correct and on the port you are using. I know it is stating the obvious but each port has to have the correct pins programmed to Mach3 to recieve the correct inputs and make the right drive connections. Also is the 5 volt supply available at the MPG jog wheel - measure between the two supply pins on the back of the jog wheel

Might also pay to check the wiring as the wire in that curly lead is not easy to terminate and from the fault not to be replicated might point to a loose wire or an intermitent short circuit. If the pendant was supplied with the 25 way plug fitted I would wait for the interface card to arrive before investigating the wiring back to the MPG jog wheel's four terminals.

Good luck.

Pat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Found solution?

Hep!

Did you managed to connect your MPG directly to LPT or did you really needed an C22 board between? Seems that I am facing exactly the same challenge here...

- Eikka -

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Eikka

I think it is possible to connect the MPG directly but seeing as I was having problems I got the C22 board. After the C22 board arrived and I connected it no it still does not work. I would however suggest that the C22 board is worth having as it sorts out the e stop on the MPG and makes wiring easier.

After a lot of discussion with Arturo at cnc4pc and endless hours troubleshooting it seems most likely that I have a faulty encoder, I took the cover off and poked about with a tester and was getting 5v on one channel but nothing on the other. It was poorly put together inside so I am hoping it is just a faulty encoder and not all bad. I got mine directly from the OEM manufacturer HEDSS.

I contacted HEDSS nearly 4 weeks ago about the problem and they are just messing me around wasting my time so it is not fixed yet after all this effort. Looks like I will have to get an encoder from elsewhere and replace it myself.

I would suggest if you are having problems getting it to work that you hook it up to the USB 5v and see what signals you are getting from channel A/B on the encoder while turning it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default i am in the same boat but !

hi all I have also the same problem !! but I have sort of got it sort of working ! here is what I have found so far . I disabled brains , then hit the tab key and callibrated the mpg . now I can get the mpg to work and toggle the thing via the mach . I am thinking there is somthing wrong in the brains . I can see the imputs in the diagnostics page . all flashing and moveing . Its great to find I am not on my own here .Art from cnc4pc is helping us I think . I have two pendants and two boards so surely I cant have 4 duds .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is another thread on mach3 forum where people have had the same problem.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind....msg93252.html

No resolution as yet, went out and bought a new pci parallel card with recomended chipset and it gets more response than before but is very unstable and lots of buttons dont work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

been messing around with things a little more,

After quite a bit of soldering, playing + calibrating the MPG I can now tab out the MPG screen on mach, set it to MPG and it actually moves the axis and steps the perfect distance etc. The selector switches for axis and distance do not work and enable button does nothing but if I actually click on the MPG axis switches in mach3 screen I can move the different axis (this is with no brains active). If I activate the brains, or indeed one by one thats when things either stop working or go all weird. Are the brains necessary for using this? which ones are needed if any?

Do the hotkey codes for OEM triggers mean anything or need assigning? I have tried to automatically assign the oem trigs/pins in mach but it doesnt recognise any button movements.

I feel like I am getting closer as this is the 1st time I have been able to use the wheel to move it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast