Pendant controls for Mach2/3

View Poll Results: Would you consider buying a pendant at cost price? How much would you spend?

Voters
558. You may not vote on this poll
  • Between $50-60

124 22.22%
  • Between $60-70

47 8.42%
  • Between $70-80

39 6.99%
  • Up to $100

177 31.72%
  • Up to $200

48 8.60%
  • Any reasonable price so long as it was good.

123 22.04%
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendant controls for Mach2/3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pendant controls for Mach2/3

I am considering making up a pendant for Mach2/3

I am looking to use the ipac interface along with a custom made membrene keypad. I figure that with a bulk order of components the prices could be reduced substancially.

I was wondering who would be interested in buying a pendant at cost price along with me.
    Also, if you have a good design idea, you could post it in this section and we all could vote on the best format to be made. Verbal suggestions would be good too. I guess our only design limitation would be our technical ability and our hip pocket.
    Please also post any relivant links for such a project.

When you vote, please consider that the price you are prepared to pay may effect the number of features.

Thanks

Below are some sites that could supply our needs.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ynneb; 11-08-2004 at 07:55 AM.
    Being outside the square !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

ynneb - Benny, I vote for the less than 70 bucks - seems thats where I'll be when I finish mine up. The IPAC I bought was like 35, add a box and I cobbled a set of switches using old computer keyboards - (I was gonna hack an approach - but went IPAC cause of ease of pNp. Like the membrane idea. Radio Shack (in US - maybe Dick Smith downunder too) has a box and multi-button membrane keypad bundeled together and pretty inexpensive - maybe less than 15 bucks - so you could get there fairly inexpensively.

I like the approach (image) on the "Tren-Tec" site that advertizes on the 'zone. The sorta circular layout (on their software) helps show the z axis as I recall. That seems to be the biggest hurdle - how to 2D display the 3D layout - without getting too confusing. Best of Luck Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim thats the other approach I was thinking about. If you can get USB keyboards for about $20 AUS and just use the interface in that. If they are selling the keyboard for 20 bucks retail then surely the interface chip is 5 bucks. I was wondering if it was possibel to just buy the interface chip on its own.

Also, if you can get USB game pads for $15 bucks then surely that is 90% of the job almost done.
    I would really love to incorperate 3 axis DRO into the hand controller but that is beyond my technical scope. Maybe the complete circuit board could be designed by one of our budding young electronics nerds on the Zone.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some more interesting reading.

How to hack a keyboard.
    http://www.mameworld.net/emuadvice/keyhack2.html

An alternative to Ipac
    http://www.groovygamegear.com/Page5.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Benny - Yer right Mate - Its the KeyWiz ver of the IPAC I got - -- oops!
    And thats a good ref to the keyboard hax too - I'll look for mine tomorrow and edit into this post - cheers - Jim

Here's a blatent copy of the "TWINTEC" layout I mentioned previously. - The prices Benny look real good - outta have a market it seems!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pendant controls for Mach2/3-twintec-model-jpg  
    Last edited by High Seas; 10-20-2004 at 08:48 AM. Reason: add image
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have managed to source the main chip in the ipac setup at $2.45 each US for 100 units.
    I am guessing that the circuit board will cost $5 bucks to make. If someone can make up the circuit board design I think we might be able to make this thing real cheap.

I am desperately hoping I will get help and this is not just a dumb Ynneb idea.

Last edited by ynneb; 10-24-2004 at 10:21 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Benny I didn't do the poll but I would like to ask a couple of questions. Is this to be a kit you are going to gather the parts for, or are you going to build the pendent and offer it for sale as a working unit?

My thoughts: I personally don't have time to build a kit much less the frustration of testing and then doing it all over again! I would much rather pay extra for a working model that was well testd than go through the hassle of having to do it myself. I gave $200 for one 7 years ago that didn't work right and never did....so I don't want to go down that road again. $100 would be nice but I could give blood and get the $200 if necessary!

Mike

ps I would also need a 20ft cable with mine!

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need a pendant for EMC. Since Mach2 is based on EMC, I guess it would be very little if any difference.

The electronics can be made a number of different ways. Some was already mentioned. If using the old PS2 keyboard interface, the protocol is simple and well known, so a microcontroller can easily use that. USB is not that easy.

But the membrane keypads are very expensive in low volume. I know because I use them in a design I made at work. They have a very steep price curve that doesn't level out until you're ordering them in thousand(s). So if there is a cheap mass produced product that has a suitable keypad, that would be nice to know. To us it may be more worth dead than alive! So keep your eyes open, and keep on posting any links. Of course international availability is desired here, as we are all over the world, and freight cost often prohibits sending items like this.

The $5 cost price for a PCB is not too far off for a professional quality board in qty. >100 and a couple of weeks lead time, as the size is small. A pool board may come at that price, but you loose some quality. Again, what about freight costs? Bulk shipments to "distributors" in Aus, Asia, Africa, Eur, USA?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am interested Ben, nice one. Of course, it will come down to final cost, but I reckon $100 sounds ok, perhaps a little more as the ipac costs around $60 to get here in the UK. Of course, the PS2 ipac should be easier to use with Les' keygrabber program.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes i have wonderered about supply it as a kit or a prebuilt.
    I guess if it was in kit form, it could be sold at cost, but if I had to assemble them I would need to charge for that.

Kong, you mentioned that i ipac costs $60, I dont know if you read my previous post but I have managed to source the main ipac chip for about a dollar. The other components are sundry in terms of cost.

I have had a price estimate for the keypad and it is around 25 bucks. I am guessing the box might cost 10-20 bucks.

All up at this stage I recon $60 bucks Australian would cover the costs. Cheaper in US dollars.

My other thought is to get the whole lot made up in China. They have amazing ways of building things for litte cost.

Some mentioned freight costs. Surely it could be sent anywhere in the world for 10 bucks max. Guessing.

Jim, thats the idea, thanks for posting that picture. That is a good start to the design, we can edit/build from there.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Benny I want my button to be made from solid blacks (opals) !! Lighting Ridge would be nice!

Mike
    ps still under $200 though

Last edited by ynneb; 10-21-2004 at 08:23 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to see a couple of MPG'sincorporated in the design, or at least an easy way to add them in. I will use this predominantly for my lathe, so two axis jog wheels would be great. I saw you mention the chip, but as I know little about electronics, I did not comment

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you decided to make them or provide the compontents for kits? Personally if you do the kits thing you really need to add something for your time in putting everything together....just don't..well I think you need to make something anyway!

Mike

Last edited by ynneb; 10-21-2004 at 08:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kong, I know what you mean by MPGs (Rotary knobs that can control speed) But what is it an an acronym for. ( Miles per gallon? A video codec? )

I am having a hard time desciding what buttons we actually should have on it.
    Could you please help me to descide.

Obviously all the buttons that Highseas suggested. Go to zeros for each axis and one for all. Should we have a set to zero set for all the axis ?

What else?

Should we have a forth axis control, just to make it a bit more universal?

EDIT: I am in the process of making a drawing. I guess it will need to be a verbally edited ongoing drawing depending on concensus.

Last edited by ynneb; 10-21-2004 at 08:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some possible keys.
    Halt: Behave as emergency switch (stop everything)
    Clr: Clear the keyboard buffer, i.e., stop pending command (if any)
    F-/F+: Adjust Feedrate
    SON/SOFF: Spindle On/Off
    CON/COFF: Coolant On/Off
    *->0/*=0: All Axis goto 0 (G0 command) and Set All Axis to Zero
    X->0/X=0: X Axis goto 0 (G0 command) and Set X Axis to Zero
    X-/X+: Press once to take 1 step, continue pressing to repeat taking steps

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pendant controls for Mach2/3-pendant-jpg  
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    Kong, I know what you mean by MPGs (Rotary knobs that can control speed) But what is it an an acronym for. ( Miles per gallon? A video codec? )
    I believe it's manual pulse generator

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Should we have a forth axis control, just to make it a bit more universal?"

I have a 4th axis and the ability to operate it with the pendent would be nice.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, since the buttons will be programmable, would it not make more sense to produce a "bare pendant" and then people could create and share their own artwork? The reason I say this is because lathe and mill/router will require two seperate overlays, and then you have the 4th axis as mentioned. Some people will want coolant/spindle/dust controls, some won't etc. Just my 2 penneth!

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Kong. With 'bare pendant' and programmable buttons, the pendant can also be used with other softwares such as TurboCNC. Just need to optimize the number of buttons and a generic layout applicable to lathe/mill tasks; so that the pendant is not as big as a normal keyboard

Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't finished my pendant project - but as I understand the IPAC/emulator setup - you basically get the option to identify what each pin/key does. That being the case, the nly thing to resolve is what butons and where. My thoughts:
    1. Yes, 3 axis set up in a spaceally (sp?) significant manner
    2. Yes, A MPG/rotary axis set upfor at least 1 rotary axis - more seems too many for the initial design concept
    3. Yes, An E-Stop/Halt button
    3a. Yes, a Program START button
    4. Yes, an axis select, x, y, z that could link to a home key - sorta' like a CTRL + work out
    5. Some means to do a "PAUSE" and single step thru the program
    6. Nice to have, Program rewind with a reset/clear (MACH2 Users would know what I mean - I hope)
    My thoughts at this moment - Cheers - Jim
    NOTE: Just added a few photos to the Member's Gallery of my prototype using an IPAC and tacticle switches. Cleaner setup would be membrane keypad I think.

Last edited by High Seas; 10-22-2004 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added note

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast