mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction

Downloads
    Uploads

Default mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction

hi

i havve a 2 axis cnc

when i jog x and y axis the dro in mach3 shows fine...positivve an negative values however both actual axis only moves one direction

i checked voltage at direction pin going to the x and y stepper driver board and i get same voltage results at both boards 3.5v during axis move direction an .5v during opposite axis move but the axis only moves 1 direction no matter what

both stepper drivers are very old from the 1980s SLO SYN 230-T by Superior Electric

note: the slo syn 230-t manual shows 5v going to the step (pu) pin....i only get 3.5v max coming from my parallel port cable to the step and direction pin .....im wondering if since its not seeing 5v if that could be the issue....

can someone help me fix this?

thank youmach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-s-l1600-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-s-l1600-jpg  
    Last edited by Shelby5041; 04-20-2022 at 02:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction

Hi,
    two issues, one you have already alluded to, that the parallel port output is only 3V, witha driver of that age you'll need 5V.

The bigger problem is that driver requires CW/CCW pulse whereas Mach3 is Step/Dir.

The cheapest and simplest solution is to buy some new drivers, you'll want at least 50V capable units and they can be had for $20- $50 each.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

hi thanks
    im not very knowledgeable with the in depth of cnc but i do know this cnc can be controlled by linuxcnc also so i figured mach3 should be doable

i thouight cw ccw notation is same as direction

but if you are correct saying that mach3 can not control this stepper driver then i guess there is no sense me trying to troubleshoot...ill see if there is someone else who can confirm this too

like i said i do get 3.5v one direction and .5v other direction so mach3 is doing what its suppose to to..

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    there are three common signalling schemes use to control stepper drives:
    1) Step/Direction, one signal represents which direction for the motor to go, and the other signal pulses it along one step at a time. Most common.
    2) CW/CCW, the CW signal pulses to step in the CW direction and the CCW signal pulse to go in CCW direction
    3) Quadrature, same signal output as an incremental encoder.

It is possible to convert between the signals, but its likely more time and trouble than just buying ordinary Step/Direction drivers. Note that may drivers
    have a switch that allows you select which of the three schemes you want to use. Mach3 is Step/Direction most commonly. Its been so long since I used
    Mach3 I can't remember if there is a setting to change to CW/CCW, quite possibly there is.

I use Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper. The Ethernet SmoothStepper ($190) motion controller, is highly recommended for both Mach3 and Mach4,
    and that allows me to set either Step/Dir, CW/CCW or Quadrature.....but.....$190 is more than three new drivers......

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the driver manual..if u get chance can u glance at it ...and if u know for sure it wont work with mach3 then let me know.

You obviousky know a lot...i dont

I dont want to retrofit unless i have to..this is just a project ...i got the small old engraver cheap.

UOTE=Shelby5041;2505722]hi

i havve a 2 axis cnc

when i jog x and y axis the dro in mach3 shows fine...positivve an negative values however both actual axis only moves one direction

i checked voltage at direction pin going to the x and y stepper driver board and i get same voltage results at both boards 3.5v during axis move direction an .5v during opposite axis move but the axis only moves 1 direction no matter what

both stepper drivers are very old from the 1980s SLO SYN 230-T by Superior Electric

note: the slo syn 230-t manual shows 5v going to the step (pu) pin....i only get 3.5v max coming from my parallel port cable to the step and direction pin .....im wondering if since its not seeing 5v if that could be the issue....

can someone help me fix this?

thank youmach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-s-l1600-jpg[/QUOTE]

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    on page 25 it says that the PU is the pulse input, and the CW/CCW pin is the direction.

So forget the previous description of CW/CCW, SloSyn have used different terminology. Despite the confusion those drivers ARE the SAME as Step/Dir, so you should have no trouble.
    You will need 5V signals though. You should have a breakout board, and almost all parallel breakout boards are 5V output.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

New drivers.
    DM556T from stepperonline.
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/di...r-motor-dm556t

If you then eventually need new motors to go with them:
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/p-...s-24hp39-5004s

Power it all with 48v main supply and 5v stp/dir control.

BEST bang for buck imho!!
    You won't be disappointed with them.

I do actually power my similar motors with DM860 drives running 60v and they fly. But that's on a mill which is stickier with the gibs.
    A router with rails is looser so the above info and links are really worth consideration.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    in fact what sort of parallel port are you using?

Note that Mach3's parallel port is rather more than just the parallel port output, there an interrupt driver motion control program running as well.
    It requires a parallel port that very strictly adheres to the IEEE parallel port standard, and many parallel port cards do not adhere to that and as a consequence don't
    work with Mach3. A USB -to-Parallel adapter will never comply or work with Mach3.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    in fact what sort of parallel port are you using?
    Note that Mach3's parallel port is rather more than just the parallel port output, there an interrupt driver motion control program running as well.
    It requires a parallel port that very strictly adheres to the IEEE parallel port standard, and many parallel port cards do not adhere to that and as a consequence don't
    work with Mach3. A USB -to-Parallel adapter will never comply or work with Mach3.
    Craig

What Craig said.
    The only type of usb-lpt adapter that is suitable is the UC100. It is a specific type of item.
    Anyway. Usb is already being replaced by ethernet because of its problems.

Last edited by dazp1976; 04-20-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could verify this is a low voltage problem by running a test by putting 5v on the direction pin and then try to jog. Does it move? I have used these exact drives in the past with an old pc with parallel port and they worked perfect

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for all the great info..this is a very old 1980s engraver it does not use a BOB ..the connections from the drivers go directly to the parallel port pins ..the manuf just soldered them directly to each pin...and the computer with built in parallel port im using with mach3 i have used on all my other cncs and mach3 works fine no issues...so im hoping this is a voltage issue..i may try using another pc to see if i get 5v from parallel port...i dont know if this is the issue or not but it seems mach3 should b able to control properly...but since threse drivers are from the 1980s there co7uld be a slight specification difference ...ill try an old desktop pc i have

Downloads
    Uploads

this is only pic i have of the drivers inside the machine...mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-20220416_191240-jpg i beleive this machine was controlled via an old DOS program via pc parallel port which is long gone nor do i even want to search.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-20220416_191240-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

hey cncman..so are you pretty sure mach3 / pc parallel port should b able to work with these old slo syn 230-t drivers? if so i will continue my troubleshooting...and do you think these drivers were produced in the late 80s which is what i beleive...the ibc boardmaker engraver i have i think was made in mid to late 80s ..the company went out of business in 1988 or 1989

Last edited by Shelby5041; 04-20-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Shelby,
    My drivers are even older than the ones you have as you can see in the photo. Keep in mind no parallel port outputs 5V on the output pins, and parallel ports have been around forever. I am certain your drivers will work provided you are using an actual parallel port not a USB to Parallel converter. MACH3 needs an actual port as well, no converters. This is because that software manipulates the pins individually. Keep playing you will get it to work.

mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-img_1876-jpg

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

hi cncman

im not using any adapter im using a parallel port

and i have used this pc and mach3 with all my other cncs no problem

but this is a 1980s driver modules and per manual it needs 5v...my parallel port only puts out 3.5v so im thinking this may be the issue...and per manual the motor will turn ccw on logic low and cw on logic high and my motorsd are only turning ccw so my theory may be correct....i hope so

to have both drivers / motors with exact same issue would rule out failed drivers or motor so im thinking its a mach3 setting issue or parallel port voltage issue..i will continue troubleshooting

ill try and feed 5v manually to the dir pin and see if dir changes.

Last edited by Shelby5041; 04-21-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It certainly is possible those drivers require a full 5V and you could build a simple interface board using a couple of transistors that pull the output voltage up to 5V using an open collector configuration. Do you motors have holding current? Meaning you can turn the motors by hand when they driver is turned on? The quick check of applying 5V directly to the direction pin with that wire disconnected from the parallel port cable will be the actual answer. You really only need three wires to check the parallel port output for one motor. Step Pin, Direction Pin, and Ground.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

possible..as driver manual schematic shows 5v to step pin

per driver manual if there is an open connection at the dir pin it will create a high logic condition so i will just remove the dir wire from parallel port to the driver and see if dir changes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup that should work. You can use a cheap logic level converter to handle all the output pins on a parallel port if you can verify the voltage level is the actual issue.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a schematic

UOTE=CNCMAN172;2505868]Yup that should work. You can use a cheap logic level converter to handle all the output pins on a parallel port if you can verify the voltage level is the actual issue.

Russ[/QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mach3 x and y axis only moe in one direction-screenshot_2022-04-21-10-24-07-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have the exact model number for these drivers? The PU pin looks like a pull up and they are using an open collector transistor to drive that pin.

Here is a simple example of a bi-directional logic converter. Step and Direction on each axis would go through the converter device.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26114519060...EAAOxy0bRTE-p-

Russ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast