Jumpy X Axis

Thread: Jumpy X Axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Jumpy X Axis

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a jumpy axis on a router table that was caused by the Motor Tuning in Mach.
    Could a miss tuned motor somehow cause a slight jumping effect that is more pronounced with faster speeds?
    I am pretty sure there is nothing with the gears or Nema 34 motor. It just seems as if there is a possible internal fight happening, but I could be crazy as well.
    I am not losing steps nor is there any kind of noise, but you can see the table shake slightly.
    The noticeable shake is at a speed of say around 120ipm but if you slow down to around 60-80ipm it is a lot smoother.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Jumpy X Axis

Hi,
    if its not losing steps, it sounds like it close to doing so. I would guess its a mid-band resonance. 34 size steppers seem to be prone to this kind of vibration.

What micostepping regime are you using?

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,
    I figured somebody might have some great info on this forum. It is very odd, but I did notice something tonight as I was changing tools, I use my remote pendant or arrow keys and it is moving as smooth as a baby bottom.
    I will also say I am noticing this more on 3d/STL type carvings like a waving flag type carve. I took a screen shot of the motor steps. Y is very similar but doesn't seem to be jumping.
    Do you think I am off on the steps or maybe the velocity is to high?
    Im using surestep motors and Automation drives.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumpy X Axis-stepper-config-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cost you nothing to slow down both speed and acceleration a bit for a test run.
    Cheers
    Roger