Need Help! Mach3 Soft Limit Issue

Thread: Mach3 Soft Limit Issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Mach3 Soft Limit Issue

I am having an issue with Mach3 on my home-built CNC. My machine working area is X – 100 inches by Y – 54 inches by X – 12 inches. With my soft limits on and I try and run a program that exceeds the machine coordinates of X > 73.6 inches it says, “Soft Limit Exceeded” and the machine hard stops. My Soft Limit on the X Axis is set to 100 inches and I can shuttle it to 100 inches. I can turn off soft limits and run any program over X > 73.6 without an issue.

I have recreated the XML configuration for my machine three times to see if it was something I had done. Several times with just the most basic settings and the issue persists. I have even opened a case with ArtSoft and all they said was to reinstall the software, which I did on two different PCs and still not working. I would like to resolve this issue as it would make running the machine more convenient and safer.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Machine Specs
    Windows 10 8gb RAM Dedicated PC
    Mach3 Version R3.043.062
    Mach3 2010 Screens
    PMDX-126 controller
    PMDX-107 for VFD
    Gecko G201x
    Warp3 ESS

Mach3 Soft Limit Issue-soft-limit-error-2-jpg'
    Mach3 Soft Limit Issue-soft-limit-error-1-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach3 Soft Limit Issue-soft-limit-error-2-jpg   Mach3 Soft Limit Issue-soft-limit-error-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 Soft Limit Issue

I am using the same Mach3 version (R3.043.062), but my soft limit warning looks different. Your screenshot says "Soft Limit Exceeded"; my verbage is "Softlimits System Movement Aborted" (in response to a command such as "G0 X1000"). Do you have any addons installed? Have you tried factory fresh Mach3 without 2010 Screens or any other mods?

As buggy as Mach3 is, I personally have not seen any problems with the soft limits. They work as expected for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Strangar View Post
    I am having an issue with Mach3 on my home-built CNC. My machine working area is X – 100 inches by Y – 54 inches by X – 12 inches. With my soft limits on and I try and run a program that exceeds the machine coordinates of X > 73.6 inches it says, “Soft Limit Exceeded” and the machine hard stops. My Soft Limit on the X Axis is set to 100 inches and I can shuttle it to 100 inches. I can turn off soft limits and run any program over X > 73.6 without an issue.
    I have recreated the XML configuration for my machine three times to see if it was something I had done. Several times with just the most basic settings and the issue persists. I have even opened a case with ArtSoft and all they said was to reinstall the software, which I did on two different PCs and still not working. I would like to resolve this issue as it would make running the machine more convenient and safer.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Machine Specs
    Windows 10 8gb RAM Dedicated PC
    Mach3 Version R3.043.062
    Mach3 2010 Screens
    PMDX-126 controller
    PMDX-107 for VFD
    Gecko G201x
    Warp3 ESS

Mach3 Soft Limit Issue-soft-limit-error-2-jpg'
    Where your soft limit 0.000 mark is, that is your home position as far as Mach is concerned. This is completely different position to your initial 0.000 of your stock you will be ctting.

You need to set your Work Coordinates (WCS) to the same position on your work table 0.000 point as you selected in your cam program for your stock and zero your x,y position.
    The soft limit will be warning simply because your initial WCS starting point has been put in the wrong place.
    You may have confused +100 & -100 distance and simply have it the wrong way round.

RTM. If you set it properly there is no problem.

Do you see table size outline in toolpath screen?. (normally white I think).
    Change your 0.000 point for WCS (move x,y and click zero axis) the outline and blue cross will move.
    Your cam toolpath will end up inside the table boundary once you get 0.000 position correct.
    No more errors will appear.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    I am using the same Mach3 version (R3.043.062), but my soft limit warning looks different. Your screenshot says "Soft Limit Exceeded"; my verbage is "Softlimits System Movement Aborted" (in response to a command such as "G0 X1000"). Do you have any addons installed? Have you tried factory fresh Mach3 without 2010 Screens or any other mods?

As buggy as Mach3 is, I personally have not seen any problems with the soft limits. They work as expected for me.
    If I give my machine a command that is outside of the soft limits like "G0 X1000" I get "Softlimits System Movement Aborted" as it know that is outside of the machines capabilities and stops it. As a command of "G0 X80" passes the initial check of less than 100, that is set in my Soft Limit Max, it starts moving. But when it gets to MC 73.6 it hard stops and reports "Soft Limit Exceeded".

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Where your soft limit 0.000 mark is, that is your home position as far as Mach is concerned. This is completely different position to your initial 0.000 of your stock you will be ctting.
    Yes, and I have set my stock home close to my machine home for this test.

Do you see table size outline in toolpath screen?. (normally white I think).
    Change your 0.000 point for WCS (move x,y and click zero axis) the outline and blue cross will move.
    Your cam toolpath will end up inside the table boundary once you get 0.000 position correct.
    No more errors will appear.
    As you can see from my second screenshot my X coordinates for both Work position and Machine position are only off by 18 thousands. That does not explain the hard stop at ~73.6 witch is off by over 26 inches from my setting 100 inches in the config. If I had soft limits on and tried to run a program that exceeds them I get an error as soon as hit the Run command. In this case I do not get such a warning. The program runs and when it exceeds ~73.6 it hard stops.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the ESS have its own soft limit system? Could it be that it has a bug with importing the limit values from Mach3? I am not familiar with ESS, so it's just a wild guess at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Does the ESS have its own soft limit system? Could it be that it has a bug with importing the limit values from Mach3? I am not familiar with ESS, so it's just a wild guess at this point.
    Good thought but from the manual https://warp9td.com/index.php/documentation/doc-ess it looks like it is just a dumb Ethernet to Parallel Port module with limited jumper configuration.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Strangar View Post
    Yes, and I have set my stock home close to my machine home for this test.
    As you can see from my second screenshot my X coordinates for both Work position and Machine position are only off by 18 thousands. That does not explain the hard stop at ~73.6 witch is off by over 26 inches from my setting 100 inches in the config. If I had soft limits on and tried to run a program that exceeds them I get an error as soon as hit the Run command. In this case I do not get such a warning. The program runs and when it exceeds ~73.6 it hard stops.
    It doesn't actually say which axis it is.
    Are you sure it isn't Z that is actually causing the problem?.

Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't actually say which axis it is.
    Are you sure it isn't Z that is actually causing the problem?.
    Positive as it always happens when X=~73.6 no matter where the Y and Z are. Also the Screen Shot shows that the Z is at -0.3395 which is between the soft limits of 0.01 and -12.00.