Newbie Mach3 control of stepper motor issue

Thread: Mach3 control of stepper motor issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 control of stepper motor issue

I am in the beginning process of converting a Sieg X2D mini mill to CNC. I have a SainSmart CNC 4 Axis Kit with ST-4045-A1 drivers and a Mach3 USB Motion Card (STB4100) to connect to PC. The stepper motors are NEMA 23 270oz-in. I am a total beginner to this but I was able to get the steppers turning on the work bench. The issue is the motor shafts will only turn about 1-1/4 revolution while I hold the direction key down (jog). It does the same on all 3 axis. If I type in a command in the MDI screen, it will do what it is told (G0 X125.5 - no problem). If I load a g-code file and cycle start - it will do what it is told (at least it shows on the screen). The motors turn and change direction indicating to me that it is getting the commands and doing what it is supposed to - It just won't jog beyond 6.6703mm on the DRO. 6.6703 is the magic number.

Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully, it is a configuration issue that is fixable. I am using the configuration file that came with the kit.

Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 control of stepper motor issue

OK... If you release the key and press it again, will the motor move? Or will it not go beyond X=6.67mm no matter what?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have checked and I am i continuous jog mode. If I push and hold the movement key, it will go exactly 6.6703mm If I push and release the movement button, it will only go a short distance (revolution). If I go into incremental mode, it goes the distance indicated in the cycle jog step.

Thanks again for the help

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

I just reread your reply, sorry I misunderstood the first time. Each time I push and hold the direction key it will move exactly 6.6703mm. After it goes the first 6.6703mm, if I release the direction key and then press and hold it, it will go another 6.6703mm. I would need to push and hold the direction key 10 times to get a travel distance of 66.703mm.

I tried with another computer I have that is running Windows 7 with a different USB Motion Control Card and Mach3. It is set up for an Omio CNC router and that is working fine. I hook up to the new pieces (motion card and steppers) and I have the problem again.

Michael