Default Post processor fusion 360 to mach3 mill

Rustyj said:
    Today 04:58 PM
    Post processor fusion 360 to mach3 mill
    Rustyj said:
    Today 08:14 AM
    Post processor for fusion360 to mach3 mill
    Hi all,
    Have been struggling to find a post processor that is compatible with how we operate,
    That is, we have a post and arm machine that we wish to mill primarily 2+1 axis cutter programs with,
    The issue is this,we will be making manual orentation changes to the milling head,and will then use a master set up point for each change to maintain accuracy,
    Basically we have to generate cutter paths to mill an oblong form(your car) from the side, head change mill top,head change mill front,head change mill back,
    At each head change in orentation we will return to master point to 're reference,
    Any thoughts much appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Post processor fusion 360 to mach3 mill

I'll take a stab at this. It sounds like you may be using something akin to a common industrial robot to do your milling? My experience (as I recall) was that the machine frame (robot speak for machine coordinates) effectively changes each time you re-orientate the head, thus changing the relationship with the workpiece ( the object frame). And re-orientating the head in a robot to a known fixed position in the work space was a common way to re-align the machine.

In my workflow, this change was initially recognized in my CAM software by changing the settings for my machine set-up, i.e. as a 5 axis mill. Although I was doing primarily 3+2, it is still essentially 5 axis work and involves changing the construction plane relative to the object being milled. It was all about the machine settings in CAM and had little to do with changing the post (the change in relationship, head to object, is then recognized in the post). I've not done any milling in Fusion yet, so I don't know if this can de done, but I would look to machine set-up in the CAM portion of Fusion first to try to accomplish this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rustyj,
    Sorry, I missed the part about Mach3. Something I have no knowledge of. If the machine OS has no capability for doing 5 axis work (5 axis interpolation - and I don't know if Mach3 or your control does), then you may have hit the proverbial wall.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    Rustyj,
    Sorry, I missed the part about Mach3. Something I have no knowledge of. If the machine OS has no capability for doing 5 axis work (5 axis interpolation - and I don't know if Mach3 or your control does), then you may have hit the proverbial wall.
    Mach3 can do 6 axis so no problem with 5 axis interpolation, he just needs a Postprocessor that can output the code from Fusion 360

Sounds like he is only using a 3 axis machine with a head that he can change to a fixed angle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Love to see a pic of the machine.

I started with an Anderson Stratos with a C axis using a Benz manual change angle head with output from MasterCam. Early 2000's with a lot of promises from hardware/software people. It was a bit of a bear to get working then.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    Love to see a pic of the machine.

I started with an Anderson Stratos with a C axis using a Benz manual change angle head with output from MasterCam. Early 2000's with a lot of promises from hardware/software people. It was a bit of a bear to get working then.
    Hi,
    It is a post and arm CMM with an adjustable bracket for the spindle,
    Thanks for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it reasonable to think the spindle is on some type of gimble? Or a device that allows angular rotation in X and Y? My last experience with 5 axis was using Rhino Cam Premium. If I remember correctly, when doing the set up for 5 axis, there were parameters that could be made to "recognize" your changes in orientation. Their standard 5 axis post did the rest.

Have you put your question directly to the folks at Autodesk? With Powermill being the gold standard in their lineup, I would think they might have an option for you (albeit, not an inexpensive one). Hope this helps.

I can help with post and setup. Mail me at maniac.cnc@gmail.com