Need Help! Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).Help!

Thread: Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).Help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).Help!

Hello, I'll try to keep this as short and concise as possible. Problem:I have wired up the CNC, set the correct ports for my controller in MACH3 but can't calibrate the motors because they won't move when instructed.
    Setup:
    -Workbee CNC mechanical kit (openbuilds) https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...4e096319wVSxB7
    -Electronics kit. Novusun. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...73c62b00ZTExG2
    -MACH3
    -Makita router as spindle

Here's the wiring diagram i followed: https://bulkman3d.com/wp-content/upl...-BM3D-v1.2.pdf
    Here's the manual for the controller kit https://bulkman3d.com/wp-content/upl...ware-Setup.pdf

Additional info: The controllers power up as expected, the motors freeze up as they should when in MACH3 and nothing else happens. I can't jog the machine or anything. When I attempt to motor calibrate the motor doesn't turn a bit.

I appreciate any type of help I can get and I'll provide more info if needed.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).He

as the motors are locked I expect the problem is with the motion controller

wired as shown on page 7 of the manual
    Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).Help!-controller-manual-page-7-jpg

with only 3 connections between the motion controller (common +5V , step & direction)
    the stepper drivers will be enabled

double check the mach 3 pins and port settings
    is each axis correctly enabled using the correct port ?
    are the correct pins assigned as the step & direction signals and the active high/ active low correct ?

a screen grab / photo showng your setting will help

Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).Help!-pins-ports-jpg

John
    PS
    PDF manual
    Novusun-Controller-Wiring-and-MACH3-Software-Setup.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).He

Hello John
    I have everything setup according to the manual I was provided, not like the picture you included on ports and pins. Those Are all filled as 0, see page 11 of the manual. I tried your setup with the other setp pin number and dir pin number but it didn't change anything. In the Novusun manual it says "Because our usbmach3 interface board stepper motor signals are fixed," So I think the ports and pins should be set to 0.
    -I have double checked and everything is wired up correctly.
    -I also have the correct and provided plugin installed and it's in use.
    -Do I need to set homing / soft limit?

The motors still won't move when I attempt to calibrate them. I honestly have 0 clue to what might be wrong.

Edit: Also there is a novusun BIn file for my controller do I need to do anything with that?

Last edited by cncnoob67; 03-29-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I replaced the zeros to assigned pins 2 to 9 as the step and direction signals for the 4 axis -
    default setting for mach3

did the motion controller come with any details ot the printer port pins that are associated with the output sent to the screw terminal blocks ?

from what I can see in the photo of the controller no details are given as to which emulated printer port pin signal is passed through
    to which terminal block

John

PS

link to mach 3 manual from Newfangled solutions

https://www.machsupport.com/wp-conte...all_Config.pdf

PDF manual
    Mach3Mill_Install_Config.pdf
    another example is on page 62 has the pin assignment for another BOB

PPS
    for example the Gecko G540 has the pin assignment for the 4 axis step and direction pins printed on the case
    Motors won't turn but they are locked!(Workbee CNC, MACH3, Novusun Controller).Help!-g540c-jpg

Last edited by john-100; 03-29-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add PPS