Need Help! How do I configure the A-axis settings?

Thread: How do I configure the A-axis settings?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I configure the A-axis settings?

I want to set up a rotary table and need to know how to configure the settings in Mach3. Are there any good threads on this forum or any good videos on the web which explain this topic in a simple way?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by jaru-eri; 02-18-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do I configure the A-axis settings?

It's not that hard. In Config/Ports and Pins/Motor Outputs check the "enable" box for A. In General Logic Configuration, check the "A=Axis is angular" box, if it isn't checked already. In Toolpath Configuration, make sure that X-Axis is checked if your A axis is set up parallel to X (if not, uncheck X and check Y or Z)."A-rotations Enabled" and "Use radius for feedrate" boxes should each have a check too. And in the Settings box (alt-6) you should set a diameter for A in Rotation Radius that's greater than zero (like ,001"). Then test A and see if it works.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thankyou for the info!
    Do you also know what I need to do in order to configure a setting for a full 360 degr. rotation?

Downloads
    Uploads

That's in General Logic Configuration/General Configuration/Rotational. Uncheck Rotational soft limits, and check "Rot 360 rollover". .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That's in General Logic Configuration/General Configuration/Rotational. Uncheck Rotational soft limits, and check "Rot 360 rollover". .
    Ok!
    So far, so good. But which values do I need to set in the Motor Tuning and Setup/A-axis motor movement profile?
    My rotary table requires 72 rotations from the stepper motor in order to move 360 degr. so what do I need to set in "steps per". and the other windows there?

Last edited by jaru-eri; 02-24-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most stepper motors have 200 steps per rotation. Your rotary table takes 5 rotations to go 360 degrees. So 1000 steps equal 360 degrees. Since your unit is one degree, you'd divide 1000 by 360 to find the number of steps (2.777777...). You don't mention your drivers, but they usually introduce a microstepping factor (generally 2 to 10), which you'd need to multiply by to get the figure you'd put in the box.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most stepper motors have 200 steps per rotation. Your rotary table takes 5 rotations to go 360 degrees. So 1000 steps equal 360 degrees. Since your unit is one degree, you'd divide 1000 by 360 to find the number of steps (2.777777...). You don't mention your drivers, but they usually introduce a microstepping factor (generally 2 to 10), which you'd need to multiply by to get the figure you'd put in the box.
    My drivers are Gecko 540. I´ve understood that it has 10 microsteps, so the formula for me will then be: 10 x 200 x 72 = 144000 divided with 72 rotations = 2000 steps per unit.

Will that be the right value to set in?

Downloads
    Uploads

In the calculation above I misunderstood your gear ratio; if it's really 72 to one and not 5 to one then it goes like this: 72 times 200 (1440) is the number of steps it takes for the motor to turn the rotary table 360 degrees. Divide by 360 to get the number of steps for one degree (40) then multiply by your microstepping factor to get the number of microsteps per degree (400).

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this setting made my rotary table to move a full rotation for each line in a generated toolpath as you can see in another post in vectric forum: Vectric Forum • View topic - Is my 3D rotary toolpath wrong calculated?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure why your machine is behaving that way, but it probably has to do with Vectric's way of coding its "wraparound" version of 4-axis milling. Apparently it doesn't get along with the rollover. Here's another thread in the Vectric forum that goes into it: Vectric Forum • View topic - Wrapped Job -> Mach3