M5 doesn't turn off spindle

Thread: M5 doesn't turn off spindle

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default M5 doesn't turn off spindle

Hi,

When I bring mach3 out of reset, my spindle turns on at low speed. The RPM on screen shows as 0.

Then M3 brings it to the set speed both on the screen and also the spindle rotation.

Send M5, the spindle returns to low speed and the screen shows 0.

I did a full spindle speed calibration and it ran through the RPM range just fine.

Putting the software into Reset turns off the spindle.

So it feels like software and not hardware.

Any idea which setting I have wrong?

I attached my xml, maybe it has a clue of what's going wrong.

Thank you!

Peter

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ptoro01; 10-14-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: M5 doesn't turn off spindle

A complete lack of any details about the Mach3 interface to the spindle driver, the spindle driver, the spindle motor, and even the general interface ...
    makes it a bit difficult to make any suggestions.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ptoro01 View Post
    Hi,

When I bring mach3 out of reset, my spindle turns on at low speed. The RPM on screen shows as 0.

Then M3 bring it to the set speed both on the screen and also the spindle rotation.

Send M5, the spindle returns to low speed and the screen shows 0.

I did a full spindle speed calibration and it ran through the RPM range just fine.

Putting the software into Reset turns off the spindle.

So it feels like software and not hardware.

Any idea which setting I have wrong?

I attached my xml, maybe it has a clue of what's going wrong.

Thank you!

Peter
    Are you using a Relay to turn it On/Off what kind of spindle control do you have VFD Drive or something else

You can't do a spindle speed calibration in Mach3 unless you have some type of spindle speed sensing like an Encoder feed back Etc.

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

As the spindle did the full range of speed calibration and stops under reset, I didn't think it important to include details about the controller or hardware.

I'm running a DC motor through a Danfoss S1000 and a feedback loop through a OPB900W55Z sensor. I'm sending signal from a 32 bit Win7 through a parallel port.

The 3 axis are run through Geckodrive G210, they are vertically mounted on the bottom of the picture.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M5 doesn't turn off spindle-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

As the spindle did the full range of speed calibration and stops under reset, I didn't think it important to include details about the controller or hardware.
    That would be perfectly true IF the system was working properly.

Off the top of my head, and this is purely a guess, it sounds as though whatever drives the Danfoss S1000 driver is open circuit at boot time. That leaves the input to the Danfoss floating at some low voltage until Mach3 actually starts to drive the Danfoss. This may be a Ports&Pins config problem.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

That still doesn't give the pertinent information.

How is Mach3 configured to start and stop the spindle? Are you using a relay?

How is Mach3 controlling RPM? step/dir, PWM?? Is there an analog signal going to the Danfoss? What is creating that?

Either your S1000 is bad, or something is sending it signals to control the spindle, and it's unlikely that it's Mach3.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just tried plugging in the ancient laptop that came with the machine, and it works correctly. So it's a missing setting of some sort.

I did my best to transfer all the numbers I see in the setup screens.

One thing the laptop shows that is different is "Initialization Macro called on Reset". Not sure where I can set that.

Under General Logic Config, the Startup Modals both show the same Initialization String G80 G21.

Spindle setup shows that Relay Control are both pin 1 and enabled and Motor Control has both Use Spindle Motor Output and PWM Control enabled.

On the diagnostic screen, Output 2 is off on the laptop, while the desktop shows it on.

Downloads
    Uploads

So it's a missing setting of some sort.
    If that's the case, just copy the .xml file from the old PC to the Laptop. Doesn't really sound like a setting, though, but if the pin numbers are wrong, anything is possible.

Sounds like you have a really old version of Mach3? Config >Logic disappeared 10 years ago.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well the SSD in my desktop corrupted. To be continued in about a week.

I transferred the details by copy and pasting and there might have been a mistake.

I'll try the .xml method.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The desktop is back up running win 7 32 bit, big plus is that windows update found the driver for the parallel card.

I Installed the latest Mach3, set the parallel port and transferred the .xml and .lic files from the old laptop and it was behaving strangely.

Wouldn't load the screen for example. The spindle was always on, even in reset.

So I basically copied all of c://Mach3 from the laptop to the desktop.

Now the version number shows as the one downloaded.

And the machine moves in all the right ways and the spindle stops.

After reset it displays the "Init macro called on reset".

Other than jogging it around a bit, I didn't test it further.

I wonder if I should trust it. I don't really understand it.

Downloads
    Uploads

"Init macro called on reset"
    That is correct.

Trust? Only after running several test programs!

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slowly but surely moving forward.

So I figured out about the Fusion 360 hobby license and got it all setup. I created a fairly simple thing to cut out, setup the cam toolpath, transferred it into Mach3 and ran into issues.

The machine does a few setup moves and then stalls out when the machine gets to the The G1 X-29. F333. line.

It also overlooks or at least requires manual input at S1000 M3, and I haven't managed to get the spindle to turn on by clicking on screen.

I would think there would be an error message that the spindle isn't spinning and it would stop, instead of stalling out. By stalling, I mean the motors are jittering, making noise but not moving.

It almost sounds like a mismatched data speed somewhere, as in Mach 3 is speeding through the code too quickly, but I have no idea where to look.

It can manually jog just fine and does the first few moves of G code correctly.

I could use some pointers. Thanks in advance!

Peter.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ptoro01 View Post
    Slowly but surely moving forward.

So I figured out about the Fusion 360 hobby license and got it all setup. I created a fairly simple thing to cut out, setup the cam toolpath, transferred it into Mach3 and ran into issues.

The machine does a few setup moves and then stalls out when the machine gets to the The G1 X-29. F333. line.

It also overlooks or at least requires manual input at S1000 M3, and I haven't managed to get the spindle to turn on by clicking on screen.

I would think there would be an error message that the spindle isn't spinning and it would stop, instead of stalling out. By stalling, I mean the motors are jittering, making noise but not moving.

It almost sounds like a mismatched data speed somewhere, as in Mach 3 is speeding through the code too quickly, but I have no idea where to look.

It can manually jog just fine and does the first few moves of G code correctly.

I could use some pointers. Thanks in advance!

Peter.
    I'm looking at the G code and it's basically gibberish until line 67909 and then it starts into the toolpath. Apparently the machine is doing exactly that.

Half of the mystery solved.

Got it. In Fusion 360, under 2D Adaptive, the Helical Ramp Diameter was freakishly small, hence causing the really slow descent.

Last edited by ptoro01; 12-29-2018 at 09:45 PM.