Problem Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875

2018-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4088875)

I have automatic updates disabled but will manually install updates from time to time. Installed the above today (3/14) along with two other updates on two Win7 machines with Mach3 installed. Starting Mach3 after the updates caused Windows to spontaneously reboot without exception during at least four attempts on both machines. Mach3 worked fine the night of 3/13 and continues to work fine after uninstalling the above update.

Reinstalling the update caused a repeat of the reboots and it had to be uninstalled again. That update is now hidden on both machines.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875

This is why i use XP sp3........

Thank You for proving this old Latin phrase

New is not necessarily better,

Been doing this too long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is probably due to the mitigation they're implementing for the Spectre vulnerability. It has a lot of backwards-compatibility problems.

Microsoft has provided an optional update, that you can install after this one, which will take out the most problematic part of the Spectre fix. That's worth trying. Here's the info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ctre-variant-2

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming that you are using the parallel port with Mach3, and it's Mach3's parallel port driver causing the problem. Those using a motion controller probably won't have this issue.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

A fleeting conspiracy dribble of mine pictured M$, ArtSoft and motion controller makers in cahoots trying to drain the legacy swamp. Seriously though, I've gone years without updating Windows 7 without ill effect, so if it came down to giving up PP use vs giving up Windows updates, the latter would be the first to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update....

Microsoft stops pushing buggy Win7 patch KB 4088875, hopefully as a precursor to yanking it
    Folks who had Windows Automatic Update turned on and installed Patch Tuesday’s Monthly Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, KB 4088875, have encountered a viper’s pit of problems.
    https://www.computerworld.com/articl...anking-it.html

Best to avoid even if one has a motion controller. Several things amiss with that puppy as the article indicates.

Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATES????.....since when has any update had a significant effect on the day to day running of Win.........if the system is working OK now who needs to be constantly updated?

I'm on Win 10 on my PC....Win 7 32 bit on my CNC mill........ and the last update on Win 10 took 2 hours to ....."DON'T SWITCH OFF YOUR COMPUTER, UPDATE IN PROGRESS 1% COMPLETED"...........grrrrrrrrr, all I wanted to do at 2 AM was browse EBAY for a quick look at some tools.

The following morning at 10 AM a message informed me "DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR COMPUTER, UPDATES BEING INSTALLED".......grrrrrrrrrrr again.

As I do not load new programs that probably need the latest update I think disabling the update process would be good.

I get the distinct impression that Win is going around in circles and trying various "improvements" by way of an update only to find they cause a problem and need another update to fix it or remove it.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not a big fan of Windows updates either. Automatic updates is disabled, using GPE, on the three Win10 machines here because of the very reason you stated. "Never check for updates" is the update setting on the Win7 machine connected to my mill's CNC drives. "Check for updates but let me choose..." is the setting on the other Win7 machine. That's how I know when Win7 updates are available and years can go by before updating either of them. Just my luck to choose updating on Wednesday. Probably a victim of "March Madness".

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi .........thanks for the info....I'm not computer literate at all even though I've used one since the 486 era......Win 10 is starting to look good now I've navigated the paths without a manual or road map.....I hope the options for updates are the same as you say...

I like the "let me choose " option, probably after midnight once a month etc.......if I know it wants to update then I'll choose the when.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope the options for updates are the same as you say
    Those quoted for Win7 are, but to stop auto updates in Win10 you run the group policy editor (GPE) and then choose "configure automatic updates". It isn't as straightforward as in the case of Win7. This link walks you through it (just run gpedit at a command prompt);

How To Disable Windows Update In Windows 10

It also shows how to disable Win10 updates completely but I've never tried it. Probably would if I had Mach, or something similar, running under it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, it seems from the comments in the link that the updates are contagious and are designed with Win 10 to get through no matter what the weather........I think this has something long term that will be cloud orientated to keep control of a computer using a Win OS connected to the 'net......you are not alone in the darkest corners of your cave.

They just don't want you to be free to choose your options and I suspect they can peek into your files at leisure to see what you're up to.........the updates are after all obscure and nobody knows exactly what they are doing......this is almost like a phone tap so beware what you save and profess to the World.

All of this is just a conspiracy theory, but if you take it to it's fullest extrapolation in the light of present day technology......BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU........HEE HEE
    Ian..

Downloads
    Uploads

Tell me about it....We have both Amazon Echo and Google Home as Christmas gifts from the children. So BB is already listening here and loose lips are known to sink ships.

Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875-220px-loose_lips_might_sink_ships-jpg

Last edited by eldata; 03-18-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well if Snowdon and Assange et al can get access to the most top secret of secret files by the ton, then the hope of keeping your mundane everyday stuff slightly private is gone with the wind.

I have to guess that if anyone who is paid to peruse all the files on all PC's connected to the 'net in the hope of detecting some nefarious business, then they'll have a job for life.

Mostly, the peeking bit is just a finger on the pulse for the retail trade to see what they should stock for maximum sales that in their opinion you must have.......the 80/20 rule applies here.

I've found a way of sorts around the update problem.....I keep an old Dell laptop running Win 7 on standby on my desk that is connected to the 'net........one that I bought for the CNC mill because it has the screen and keyboard all in one package as opposed to a separate PC on the side and a monitor on a jointed arm with various cables dangling etc.......as it's not being used yet I'll switch it on when the updates rear their ugly heads for an hour or more......if you can't beat them, join them.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I run W7 on my CNC machine, but it has NO connection to the Internet. Not a problem!
    I also run W7 on my desk, but it has ALL updates disabled.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW, problem still exists in the latest monthly rollup;

2018-04 Monthly Rollup - KB4093118

Downloads
    Uploads

Wish I had seen this a week ago and disabled Win updates. Tried to use my CNC today and have the dreaded reboot when I start Mach 3.
    Does anyone have a work around at all?

Downloads
    Uploads

There may be a temp fix on the M$ site - not sure.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone else that runs into this issue, its a simple roll back of the updates then hide them in Windows update to ensure they don't reinstall.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an update that I just encountered this now with my Win7 CNC that is normally ALWAYS standalone. A few days ago I installed the Autoleveller software which needed to download and update .NET and C++ Redistributable. This was on May 8th, 2018 I connected an Ethernet cable to the Win7 PC and downloaded and installed these. No problem, Mach3 and the Autoleveller app worked just fine. Then I forgot and left the Win7 connected to the Internet for several hours while not using it. As I was getting ready to shut down the Win7 PC there was an MS message on the screen telling me updates were ready to install. I clicked OK, they installed and I shut down the PC and disconnected it's Ethernet cable.

Several days later, (tonight) I started the Win7, logged in, went to start Mach3 and about when the Artsoft logo would appear the PC rebooted. I went through this scenario 3 times with the same results. I also confirmed the reboot behavior was independent of the BOB being connected to the PC's parallel port, as that is what I use. Then I Google'd this Mach3 behavior and saw this post. I went back to the Win7 PC, logged in then looked at installed updates that could be uninstalled. There were 8 updates installed dated today, May 11th, one was a "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4054518)" the other 7 were just "Update for Microsoft Windows..." I uninstalled the "security" update, rebooted, confirmed it was removed and then Mach3 started and worked properly. I left the other 7 updates installed.

So the KB # that I experienced was different from the one in this topic's Subject line.

Last edited by airnocker; 05-11-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added disconnected cable from parallel port from BOB
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

Downloads
    Uploads

OOOHHHHH it scares the hell out of me!!!!!!.................................................. ..............................................NOPE ! not a chance

I can do whatever I want on computers, operating systems, system operations, whatever you wanna call it haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast