Problem Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Beware of Windows 7 update KB4088875

Hi Folks,After many tries to patch my windows 7 system to eliminate the update that cause Mach3 to fail to start, I had to resort to an old checkpoint as non of the software/registry patches worked. I found a simple way to resolve the issue, that may work for some folks. Windows 7 by default create a "restore point" before it does any automatic update. To use an older "restore point", on windows 7, go to "All programs" -> accessories -> system tools -> system restore. Once the "system restore" dialog box comes up, go "next", select the "show more restore point" checkbox, and choose a "restore point" with a date before March 2018. The process should restore, the system prior to the update date. The restore worked on my window 7 machine with Mach3 loading, I have now turned off windows automatic update. Good luck!cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct me if I'm wrong...........it's better to run your CNC computer without any internet connection, just bare bones and Win XP etc......this will not enable updates to occur and is a fail safe way to prevent virus inclusions too......why would you want to have the internet on your CNC machine's computer?..........I suppose that answer would be if you only had one computer to work with.

The convenience of having the keyboard and screen in one package means many people use a laptop computer for their CNC machine........you can still find laptops with Win XP or 7 32 bit at give away prices.

I do all my small G code programming projects on a stand alone CNC computer running Win 7 32 bit with Notebook and save them to a flash drive.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

.it's better to run your CNC computer without any internet connection, just bare bones and Win XP etc......this will not enable updates to occur and is a fail safe way to prevent virus inclusions too
    Which is how any serious CNC user does it. End of story.
    (OK, W7 also works with an ESS quite nicely.)

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, if you insist on using 10 year old software.
    Just about any other modern control software has no problems with the latest version of Windows and automatic updates.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, if you're getting updates that means you're connected to the 'net and are at risk from a virus that will not make your day.

It means that if you earn your crust of bread from your machine then probably you'll have more bells and whistles to blot out the nasties, but only after the anti virus software is aware of it's presence and has a solution which is long after your program is going haywire.

How many times has industry come under a virus attack.....worldwide.......and had a chaos situation before the attack was analyzed and dealt with.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, if you insist on using 10 year old software.
    Just about any other modern control software has no problems with the latest version of Windows and automatic updates.

Well, there was a time when WXP was the bees knees. Then there was a time when W7 was the bees knees. As far as running Mach3 goes, they still have exactly the same excellent functionality. Of course, back then we kept the CNC PC isolated from the net, same as we do today.

And of course you can run Mach3 on W10 if you want, as long as you use the ethernet interface. I don't do that myself (I use W7), but I am assured it runs just fine on the latest versions - as long as you do NOT have it connected to the net with automatic 'updates'. Those auto updates can introduce both system faults, as noted, AND quite unacceptable delays to the real-time control Mach3 requires.

As for running anti-virus and firewall SW while trying to run Mach3 - that is something which is strongly recommended AGAINST. Both sorts of SW can interfere with Mach3 by introducing 'invisible' delays - always a no-no for real-time system control.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I shudder to think that eventually any offerings of Mach 3 (or perhaps Mach4 by that time) will only be available on the cloud......that will be a sad day.

In that case I could imagine a computer with Mach 3 resident would be worth more than the computer itself.

I think the only reason anyone moves to a later version of Win's to run Mach3 is because they have a new laptop with the latest rendition of Win's on it.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ian

Mach3 or Mach4 on the cloud?

I will stick my neck out and say it will NEVER happen. It can't.
    For a start, there is no further development of Mach3 being done (or the occasional backhoe-induced carrier outages).
    Second, CNC can NOT handle the variable delays due to the real-life comms offerings. Production managers just won't buy it.
    Third, how could anyone stop someone from running Mach3 (or Mach4) and WXP on a local PC anyhow?

And fourth: there is a huge vendor market out there selling (fairly) modern PCs running WXP. You may not be aware of it, until you get into industrial systems. Yeah - manufacturing plants running huge dedicated production lines off W95 and WXP. They run, so why should management upgrade into the unknown? We are talking about a billion dollar market here. To be sure, these are not the latest Asus/Dell/HP laptops by any means; they are rugged steel boxes with rugged boards - and plenty of LPT ports available as well. And to be sure, they are a bit more $$ than the latest discount High Street PCs, but they will probably last a wee bit longer as well.

Relax: ain't gunna happen.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Rog, my mind is at rest.........I was just imagining a CNC cloud based machining centre......you don't actually have one in your workshop or at home you dial into one somewhere distant and work if from your PC....you get billed for the usage and the parts get posted to your customer when they're finished machining.......I wonder if in the end you really need to get out of bed....LOL
    Ian..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eldata View Post
    2018-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4088875)

I have automatic updates disabled but will manually install updates from time to time. Installed the above today (3/14) along with two other updates on two Win7 machines with Mach3 installed. Starting Mach3 after the updates caused Windows to spontaneously reboot without exception during at least four attempts on both machines. Mach3 worked fine the night of 3/13 and continues to work fine after uninstalling the above update.
    Hi,

There was nothing "from time to time" about it for me -- launching Mach3 caused the system to reboot each time.

As people suggested, it is related to a Spectre workaround. The good news is there's a way to disable some of the workaround without having to stop automatic updates and other drastic things like that.

From this page:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erabilities-in

I got the following two lines which I ran in a powershell (as administrator) and everything was then right as rain.

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
    Of course, I think you ARE disabling a security mitigation, so keep that in mind, but it sure beats disabling all subsequent updates.

Sauce

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eldata View Post
    2018-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4088875)

I have automatic updates disabled but will manually install updates from time to time. Installed the above today (3/14) along with two other updates on two Win7 machines with Mach3 installed. Starting Mach3 after the updates caused Windows to spontaneously reboot without exception during at least four attempts on both machines. Mach3 worked fine the night of 3/13 and continues to work fine after uninstalling the above update.

Reinstalling the update caused a repeat of the reboots and it had to be uninstalled again. That update is now hidden on both machines.
    dont you just love it when you finally find the solution online...after having found the solution yourself?

this started a few months ago... i just got the squirts and played 3d printers and lasers instead.

at some point, after uninstalling nearly everything to no avail, i did a complete win7 reinstall.

yay! mach3 worked! then i didnt use it. today, finally...time to get it running again... boom boom!

i had allowed updates last week. knew that was a bad idea!

finally did a restore. that required getting in safe mode btw...gonna have to do some digging...theres something lurking on my puter...

do you know how many different ways i tried to search for "mach 3 crashing windows" with no results?

now i know its an update, i search for that. boom. here we are. first damn hit!

i hate computers....

well, now i know what update to watch out for!

one day, i gotta get me an old dedicated XP...

with so much stuff on hand, one spends more time locating it rather than using it.

Downloads
    Uploads

i had allowed updates last week. knew that was a bad idea!
    It was, obviously, but perhaps allowing your CNC PC to be connected to the internet is the real 'bad idea'.
    Most of us won't do it. I wonder why?

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Awwww gee, the simple solution is to NOT have your CNC machine's computer connected to the internet in any way.....why would you.....Mach 3 runs without a constant computer update necessity.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by headsmess View Post
    one day, i gotta get me an old dedicated XP...
    YES and YES, Multiple Dell XP 32/64 dual workstations from an Architect's office when they "upgraded" there was a pallet of then $50 each i am Back to SP3 and dependable. The cad is 1999, everything works stand-alone even has floppy discs for the Fadal. Got them stashed in a closet.
    When the paycheck depends on the Gcode, no reason to mess with success.

Been doing this too long

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12