Mach3 plus fusion360 on one pc bad idea?

Thread: Mach3 plus fusion360 on one pc bad idea?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 plus fusion360 on one pc bad idea?

I've read that a machine control PC should be dedicated to machine control only and should even be kept off the internet. Is it likely I would have issues if I ran fusion on the same PC? It's just super convenient having both on one pc and being able to go back and forth from cam to mach3, posting gcode, etc. I've already been doing it on our home computer and haven't had issues but now I need to put the computer back in it's place and get another one. If I really need a dedicated PC for machine control only, then that means I pretty much have to get 2 of them and put them side by side So I can run fusion. What if I just turn off internet while cutting? Still a bad idea to share the PC?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 plus fusion360 on one pc bad idea?

There is no way to tell what Fusion (or its framework) might be doing in the background, with or without Internet connection. I personally would recommend against it. You can certainly try, but be prepared to format the drive and do a clean install if it does not work out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, sounds like I just shouldn't do it. I'll just have to get a second pc. Thanks for the input

Downloads
    Uploads

One more question, I'm gonna build my machine control PC from scratch, so how much GPU power can mach3 really benefit from? Eventually I might be running programs with a large amount of code, like molds for carbon fiber blades.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    how much GPU power can mach3 really benefit from?
    Not sure how much the GPU matters. The largest G-code files I ever used were about 2-3MB in size. They run perfectly fine on Dell Optiplex GX280 made in 2004 (Intel 915G built-in graphics).

I do it all the time and have yet to have a single issue.

I do have a modern PC and I use an Ethernet Smooth stepper, 16gb ram, 3gb GPU, I5 processor (a slightly older gen). I rarely see more than 40% of the CPU used, not much GPU, and maybe 50% Ram. I'm on Windows 7 Pro, but I might go for Windows 10 soon. I leave the internet on, I even stream YouTube or play music from my Plex server. I use Wifi to connect to the net and ethernet to the smooth stepper.

I often revise my CAM and even model while the same PC runs Mach and parts are being made.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach3 performance can vary greatly from PC to PC, even when the PC's have the same specs. With a modern PC, and a motion controller like an ethernet smoothstepper, you probably won't have any issue running both on the same PC.
    Mach3 uses very little memory, even with large files. But Mach3's toolpath display is rather inefficient, and on really big files, and marginal PC's, it's common to need to turn off the toolpath display.

Fwiw, I run Mach on a Dell GX150, which is a 1Ghz Pentium 3, with 512Mb of RAM, using the parallel port.

I run other software on the PC, but not while Mach3 is running.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm, maybe I'll just go for it then. I can build the first PC with enough power to run fusion 360 which will be more than enough for mach3. If I have issues I'll just build the second one for mach3. Also I do plan on switching from uc100 to Ethernet smooth stepper before long so I can add my 4th axis. Also sounds like there's less chance for issues if I take the USB out of the equation.

I'm in the process of converting from ESS to UC300ETH, not sure how it will work with that controller, but hopefully it will be fine. Ethernet as a hardware, especially Cat 6 and Cat 7, have major advantages over other methods.

p.s. shoot me a PM if you have questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    I'm in the process of converting from ESS to UC300ETH, not sure how it will work with that controller, but hopefully it will be fine. Ethernet as a hardware, especially Cat 6 and Cat 7, have major advantages over other methods.

p.s. shoot me a PM if you have questions
    Out of curiosity, why are you switching from ESS to UC300? So you can run uccnc? Or some other reason?

So that I can run both, but yes on UCCNC. Mach 3 is great, I find I can get pretty great results with it, but some of it quirks are growing old after years of using it. With UCCNC I'm hoping for an improved experience. I do have some work to do to get UCCNC to function in ways that Mach 3 already does for me, but I'll get there eventually.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    So that I can run both, but yes on UCCNC. Mach 3 is great, I find I can get pretty great results with it, but some of it quirks are growing old after years of using it. With UCCNC I'm hoping for an improved experience. I do have some work to do to get UCCNC to function in ways that Mach 3 already does for me, but I'll get there eventually.
    Ok, I figured that was the case. Actually not a bad idea to go with the uc just so I have the option. Only 60 bucks for the license if I ever want to try uccnc. That was actually my plan originally to go uccnc but as a beginner I decided to go with mach3 since there's endless YouTube tutorials but now that I'm comfortable with machine control in general, I'm sure I wouldn't have issues figuring out uccnc. I'll consider the uc300 route just to keep my options open

I think it's a good idea, it definitely adds a bit of future proofing to your hardware. Gerry (Ger21) is actually an active member on the UCCNC forum as well, not just with the hardware, but also the software.

I am currently rebuilding my controller, new power supplies, more drivers and second BOB, new case, wiring layout, so I haven't tried the UC300 or UCCNC yet, but the documentation seems good and the software is very easy to navigate. Married hardware and software also makes a lot of sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to report back here for anyone else curious on this subject. I built a pc based around running fusion 360 with good performance, quadro p2000 video card, ssd, Intel 8600 cpu. Figured if it didn't work out for running mach3 as well, I would build a second pc for that.
    Finished the build, runs cad like a champ, also running mach3 with Ethernet controller. I've put maybe 50 hours of machining time on this setup, some of it multiple hour 3d mills, and there hasn't been a single hiccup. I even model in fusion while the machine runs, also leave google open for looking things up. No matter how hard I try, i can't get it to screw up. Very solid setup.

Cool! I have hundreds of hours of Fusion and Mach 3 as well. Works like a charm. I listen to music, read the news, update CAM. I basically use it like any other PC.

I have switched to the UC300eth and with both Mach and UCCNC I do the same things. Works great. Modern computers are really quite capable and fairly inexpensive, it's a glorious time to be alive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Me doing the same. Listening musing, watching videos while the UCCNC and my UC400ETH controller is running and machining, no problems.