Setup Mach3 for Sherline Rotary Table 4th axis

Thread: Setup Mach3 for Sherline Rotary Table 4th axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setup Mach3 for Sherline Rotary Table 4th axis

I am trying to setup Mach3 CONFIG to use a Sherline Rotary Table on a Sherline 2000 Mill. Followed what directions I could find but it's not working properly.When given the commands G00 A360 on MDI screen, table rotates to approx 88 degrees instead of 360 degrees. The table does turn in the right directions and no other problems seem to occur. Obviously, I have done the math wrong, or used the wrong setup/speed figures!

Does anyone have the correct numbers to plug in for using Sherline High Torque stepper motors with the above mentioned equipment. Any assistance appreciated!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setup Mach3 for Sherline Rotary Table 4th axis

I believe Sherline's motors are standard steppers that have 200 steps per revolution. Their rotary table has a 72-1 gear ratio. Make sure the A axis is defined as rotary, with the units in degrees and not mm or inches. The idea is to define one degree in terms of the steps (or microsteps) your drivers are set to. So the math would be 200 times 72 divided by 360 for the number of whole steps per degree (40). Multiplying that by your microstepping factor should give you the correct value to put in the box in the Motor Tuning dialog.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setup Mach3 for Sherline Rotary Table 4th axis

Andrew,
    Thanks! The steps per revolution are 400 according to Sherline. I tried the math using 400x72/360=80. When tested via G00 A360, table stopped at 180 degrees. However, I changed the "steps per" box in Motor Tuning to 160 and it worked fine. Again, thanks for the quick response!!
    Bob