Problem Soft Limits

Thread: Soft Limits

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Soft Limits

My K2 KT3925 came with the Homing/Limit switches installed at the far right XY corner and top of the Z of the machine, so when doing a reference all home that becomes the 0,0,0 machine coordinates. Soft Limits were never set up. In setting up the soft limits I assume I would jog to the opposite X and Y positions and the bottom of the Z. X would be -23, Y would be -29, and Z would be -5. With that set if I test jog they all seem to work fine. Here is where I am unsure if I am misunderstanding how this all works. I reference all home, machine coordinates are 0,0,0, then jog to my start point of X,Y,Z (in this case it is the center of the my work piece) and I zero out the X,Y,Z. If I go to run the job I immediately get a Soft Limit error on the Z. I have attached pictures of my settings. If someone could explain where I have gone wrong here that would be greatly appreciated. The machine will run with Soft Limits off, but that really doesn't seem wise.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soft Limits-img_1265-jpg   Soft Limits-img_1263-jpg   Soft Limits-img_1262-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Soft Limits

You have the Z axis marked as "reversed." This would indicate to me that zero for the Z is at the bottom of the travel, and the top is -5. Since you now lower the Z to set your WCS, you have moved the Z axis below 0 giving the error. That's my guess. It's been a long while since I've set up soft limits in Mach 3.

IT's something to try until someone else jumps on here.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    SoftLimits are distances from the machine coordinate 0,0,0, and ONLY make sense once your machine is Homed (or Referenced)

I assume I would jog to the opposite X and Y positions and the bottom of the Z. X would be -23, Y would be -29, and Z would be -5
    You are correct to home your machine. You don't need to jog anywhere but rather open the Config/HomeLimits page.
    Pouplate the SoftMax and SoftMin for each axis.

The Z axis can be confusing because it is common practice to have machinne coord Z=0 at the top of travel, and in your case -5 at the bottom
    of travel. So Z axis SoftMax=0, SoftMin=-5

then jog to my start point of X,Y,Z (in this case it is the center of the my work piece) and I zero out the X,Y,Z. If I go to run the job I immediately get a Soft Limit error on the Z
    When you jog to the start of the job and 'Zero' your machine, that zero refers to the work coordinates, not machine cordinates. Its normal for the DROs to dislpay
    where the machine is relative to where you started the job, called work coordinates, at ALL times Mach also tracks the controlled point in macine coordinates.
    If the controlled point tries to go outside the envelope defined in the SoftLimits settings then Mach will fault.

The fault you describe is because Mach detects that the controlled point is outside of the envelope, which sggests to me you have incorrectly specified the
    envelope.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Craig,

I thought the Z travel was 5 inches on this machine, but it seems to be a bit more. I reset the Z SoftMin to -5.25 and that seemed to do the trick.

Another problem solved. On to figuring out why Mach 3 will lock up randomly even when it is just idle.

Thanks,

Bob