Mach 4 running tool off the table at the start?

Thread: Mach 4 running tool off the table at the start?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach 4 running tool off the table at the start?

Hi, not sure what is up but I have had this problem in the past fixed it... not sure how. In short, I have been running mach 4 fine for a few months but recently has some pc issues so I uninstalled and re downloaded everything. All seems well except when I run g code the tool immediately runs to a limit switch. I feel it is something to do with units, as the current position indicator will say the tool has moved a few mm but in reality it has moved half way across the table. In configuration I have everything set to metric but maybe I am missing something?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach 4 running tool off the table at the start?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfiore View Post
    Hi, not sure what is up but I have had this problem in the past fixed it... not sure how. In short, I have been running mach 4 fine for a few months but recently has some pc issues so I uninstalled and re downloaded everything. All seems well except when I run g code the tool immediately runs to a limit switch. I feel it is something to do with units, as the current position indicator will say the tool has moved a few mm but in reality it has moved half way across the table. In configuration I have everything set to metric but maybe I am missing something?
    Have you homed the machine, and then done your work OFF Sets does your program match you X0Y0 machine start point post the start of your program you are having trouble with past it in a post

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. I have homed the machine. I just recall in the past zeroing all axises above the work and starting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. I have homed the machine. I just recall in the past zeroing all axises above the work and starting.

Then in your program that has to have the same X0Y0 start point if it has not then the machine will go to where ever that is, as I said cut and paste the program here, and that will tell us if you have your program zero in the same as you machines work zero

So you are saying you are not using offsets, or don't know what they are

Post your program and I will tell you if it is your program or a machine setup problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I feel it is something to do with units, as the current position indicator will say the tool has moved a few mm but in reality it has moved half way across the table. In configuration I have everything set to metric but maybe I am missing something?
    If you want to work in metric double check the configuration is set to metric.
    If that checks out revisit the motor tuning and make sure the pulses/unit (or whatever Mach4 calls it) is set correctly. Mach4 will have a manual explaining the math.
    The steppers are most likely 200 steps/rev, don't forget to include any micro-stepping in the calculation.

edit/ A quick google shows Mach4 terminology is 'Counts per Unit'

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

My last reply came across a bit like RTFM.
    This Old Tony is a born teacher, the relevant information starts around the 19:50 mark

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.