BlueProbe issue-update Mach3?

Thread: BlueProbe issue-update Mach3?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default BlueProbe issue-update Mach3?

Hi all. I have an older gantry router I bought new around 2008. It has served well enough, but I am finally getting around to improving my probing capability. I still use the software bundle that came with it at the time. Running Mach3 on a dedicated XP machine that has never seen the internet. Rhino CAD/CAM for drawing/posting.

I have successfully installed a Z auto-zero script, and made a touch plate out of angle, and that has worked fine for a couple years.

So the other day I downloaded the Blue Screen, and installed the BlueProbeVer3 modifications to get the probing features. The screen looks as it should, and I get movement from clicking the cardinal directions, but am getting some odd responses. The first time I loaded Mach after the initial install of the Blue, the spindle would go in the opposite direction, and when the bit was touched with the probe plate (doing it manually with the Z at a safe height) the spindle would take of at rapid traverse speed until I hit E-stop.

Reloaded, clicked around zeroing axes and such, tried again and WORKING PERFECTLY!! Yay, but it didn't last. Now, it travels in the correct direction, but when I touch the plate to the bit, it stops (as it should), but momentarily, and then jumps anywhere from a fraction of an inch, to a few inches, again at rapid.

I suspect my problem lies with the fact that I am running Mach3 Version 2.60. It has always had a few annoying bugs, and in fact will often jump in a similar manner when I try to manually zero the X or Y axes to a touch plate embedded in my table, hence the desire to upgrade.

So my question to you folks is: can you tell me which version I should update to, that is known to be reasonably stable and will run BlueProbe correctly? I'm thinking of just going to 3.042.020. Again, the whole system is a bit dated, but it still serves my needs for now....

Do you think an update is a good plan, or should I be looking elsewhere? Is there a big difference between the 2. and 3. versions of Mach, i.e. potentially not working with my Gecko drives out of the box? PS I don't think noise is an issue in this case, the LED works like it should on the BlueScreen, but I'm not eliminating it as a possibility.

I appreciate any advice you all may have for me!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BlueProbe issue-update Mach3?

Most Mach3 users haven't used version 2.6 in over 10 years, if they've used it at all.
    I don't recall what the differences might be.
    Updating might be all you need to do. I still use either 3.042.020 or 029, not sure exactly right now.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ger21, I think I've seen you mention still running 3.042.020 while I was reading up trying to avoid making this thread Also seen you mention more than once not to update your system if your machine is working, and on that point i concur. Hence my thinking just to inch ahead for now, to a version of Mach that is still more or less of my machine's vintage. Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The update seems to have gone smoothly, but the problem persists...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I seem to have it sorted. Thought I would post my solution in case someone else down the line has the same problem. I'm grateful for this forum's existence, it has helped me more than once over the years...

I haven't made a center finding probe yet, so have not tested that button, but to make the four cardinal directions work for me, I had to delete the last command block from each button script. It contained G0, and was telling the machine to rapid back to the hit point in case of overshoot. Well, my Z script works fine without that function, so I figured this would as well. I also remembered that the person who wrote the original script (erniebro?), mentioned, in the thread in the original thread where I got this idea, having to write and test line-by-line, so I figured that, since mine was screwing up at the end anyway, why not try just working backward one command at a time, until either it worked, or lost functionality? Hey, it worked! Slowed the F to 0.5 IPM and it just crawls along, so I'm not worried about overshoot.

Regarding the machine sometimes moving in the opposite direction it was commanded, that seemed to be related to the DRO displaying a negative position. Zeroing out the DRO prior to running the script has so far fixed that bug.

Original thread:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach-...-software.html