Changing to Mach3 from Linux CNC

Thread: Changing to Mach3 from Linux CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Changing to Mach3 from Linux CNC

Hi All

I currently have a Sieg X2 that runs off Linux CNC quite adequately but I'm thinking of beefing it up a bit to add a further axis and down the line a tool changer, spindle speed control and coolant control. On linux CNC this looks to be a task that is in depth and having seen Mach3 and the wizards / setup interface from a few searches it on the face of it looks easier.

I just wondered if anyone here had converted from linux CNC to Mach and wanted to get their thoughts on if it was easy and more importantly how they did it. Does the hardware need changing? Do I have to change the pins or add parralel ports etc

Cheers

Jools

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Changing to Mach3 from Linux CNC

I personally think you are proposing a backwards step and suggest you stick with LinuxCNC. It took me 30 minutes to add an extra axis. Coolant should not take much longer. Spindle speed is also not that hard but you might have to add something like this https://mesaus.com/index.php?route=p...&product_id=91
    The tool changer might be a bit harder but I've no experience.

I would suggest that you ask some questions on the Linuxcnc forum before you go back to Windows..

I have not used Mach but from what I understand if you are using a parallel port, its possible to migrate from Mach to Linuxcnc without changing your hardware so I guess you can go the other way as well.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Do I have to change the pins or add parralel ports etc
    It won't be a problem but parallel port has no future. You'll be joining me with the dinosaurs

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    It won't be a problem but parallel port has no future. You'll be joining me with the dinosaurs
    I was too polite to say that. I thought the same could be said for Mach3.

There are still many Linuxcnc machines being built with a parallel port but I much prefer the ethernet Mesa 7i76e.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not dead yet!

There are still motherboards with the parallel port header on them... I don't think it is going away anytime soon. But as rodw said - linuxcnc hardware is pretty inexpensive.

sam

Downloads
    Uploads

This sounds like going back to Duplo from Lego Technic "because it's easier to mash the blocks together with my elbows".

Only reason I'm using mach is because linuxcnc doesn't support my ethernet controller. It's convenient, easy, came with the machine sure. But to save yourself a little homework this sounds like taking a massive step backwards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    This sounds like going back to Duplo from Lego Technic "because it's easier to mash the blocks together with my elbows".

Only reason I'm using mach is because linuxcnc doesn't support my ethernet controller.
    Just rip it all out and replace it with an ethernet Mesa 7i76e. You know you want to!

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope,
    I really don’t.

Next machine may be back to GRBL on a card; be interesting to see how that goes!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input guys. Could you give me more info on what a'<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">Mesa 7i76e.' is and what I would have to do/buy to make it work. I'm technically literate but am a noob when it comes to setting up computers and CNC machines so laymans terms help me loads.<br><br></span>

Downloads
    Uploads

Main thing is you need is the PREEMPT-RT kernel for Linuxcnc to use the Mesa ethernet card. The easiest way to do that is install one of these Linuxcnc ISO's
    Index of /testing-stretch-rtpreempt

I use a J1900 Gigabyte Brix PC with a USB network dongle as the included one creates very very high latency. You will get more support on the Linuxcnc forum. I did share a basic 7i76e config there under HAL examples.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au