How to get spindle pwm to work

Thread: How to get spindle pwm to work

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to get spindle pwm to work

Hi,

I am trying to get spindle pwm to work.

I have a Warp9 ESS and a G540 Bob.

What works so far is that by flipping the "Active High/Low" at Pin17 which controls VFD FWD via a Relay, I can make the spindle on my cnc start or stop.
    As i have input the correct 400 HZ, the correct max rpm of 24000, the Spindle will emediately run at ful speed when "Active High/Low" (Green/red/upp/down arrow) is flipped.

What doesn't not work is the button called "Spindle CW" in the Mach4 app/interface it self.
    I expect it to start running when I hit it, and I expect the spindle % slider to actually adjust the spindle RPM as it is running.

Where should I turn my attention to make it work?

I assume It is just a matter of configurations in Mach4 now.

In the spindle tab of the ESS plugin I have but chosen PWM from a dropdown, and 400 HZ for frequency (as that is the max on my vfd)
    The other options; "Duty Cycle Zero at Min RPM" "Averaging" "Report spindle rpm" "encoder Prescaler" "*Effective PPR" "Total Encoder Puls/Rev" I have not touched, Nor found through tutorials how to set up.

Another something I have tried is to Configure my Spindel motor under the tab "Axis Mapping", more specifically OB1(6) Motor5.
    It was new to me hat the spindle could be defined as an "Axis" just like the stepper, but it seems evident from vids and forums that can.

Thanx for anny hint, suggestion or help!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to get spindle pwm to work

VFD needs to be programmed correctly as well. More info would help. What VFD, wiring diagram, list of your settings for VFD and Mach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vlod View Post
    VFD needs to be programmed correctly as well. More info would help. What VFD, wiring diagram, list of your settings for VFD and Mach.
    VFD is a Chinese DZB100Series
    I do not think the wiring or VFD programming is the problem, But I have attached the pages from the manual where the parameters F1-00 and F1-01 shows. These are both set to 0001, whih is "0-10v" for "Operating frequency source", and "Operating instructions determined by the external terminal connections, Keypad not enabled" for the relay controll of FWD. This has enabled me to start the VFD at 400 HZ from Mach4 by activating relay. But Not yet by typing G-code in MDI or pressing Spindle CW button.

One observation though is that VFDs lcd-display constantly shows "H.400" which means 400HZ. Tis is not the case, when ever Mach4 program is closed. That may mean that Mach4 constantly sends has Spindel at max speed, so that the G540 sends a constant 10 v to the VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

How to get spindle pwm to work-20221014_153138-jpg

How to get spindle pwm to work-20221014_153134-jpg

How to get spindle pwm to work-20221014_153048-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

The Parameters I posted where for a Different model Fuling VFD Drive I will check what I have on your 100 Model I have the manual

You first should run the VFD Drive with the KeyPad before you connect it for remote control than you will know that everything is correct with the VFD Drive Programing the minimum speed must also be programed in the VFD Drive

Last edited by mactec54; 10-14-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m not familiar with Mach4 or your controller but you set PMW in one and 0-10V in VFD. It wouldn’t work this way.
    Check in Mach4 settings if Spindle button enable (in my Mac3 it’s disabled by default).
    As your VFD accepts voltage or current to control RPM not a “PMW” then you need to provide it. Check your controller , most of them let you choose between PMW and 0-10V.
    If there is no option in controller you may have to consider a converter.
    And Mactec54 is right, there are more parameters to set in VFD and you might set them right but there was only one page in your photo to show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by I_V_A_R View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to get spindle pwm to work.

I have a Warp9 ESS and a G540 Bob.

What works so far is that by flipping the "Active High/Low" at Pin17 which controls VFD FWD via a Relay, I can make the spindle on my cnc start or stop.
    As i have input the correct 400 HZ, the correct max rpm of 24000, the Spindle will emediately run at ful speed when "Active High/Low" (Green/red/upp/down arrow) is flipped.

What doesn't not work is the button called "Spindle CW" in the Mach4 app/interface it self.
    I expect it to start running when I hit it, and I expect the spindle % slider to actually adjust the spindle RPM as it is running.

Where should I turn my attention to make it work?

I assume It is just a matter of configurations in Mach4 now.

In the spindle tab of the ESS plugin I have but chosen PWM from a dropdown, and 400 HZ for frequency (as that is the max on my vfd)
    The other options; "Duty Cycle Zero at Min RPM" "Averaging" "Report spindle rpm" "encoder Prescaler" "*Effective PPR" "Total Encoder Puls/Rev" I have not touched, Nor found through tutorials how to set up.

Another something I have tried is to Configure my Spindel motor under the tab "Axis Mapping", more specifically OB1(6) Motor5.
    It was new to me hat the spindle could be defined as an "Axis" just like the stepper, but it seems evident from vids and forums that can.

Thanx for anny hint, suggestion or help!
    Your G540 has a 0-10v analog speed control output, it needs you to add a 10v supply from the VFD Drive or a Power supply to the G540

You need to have this work at the G540 before you connect it to the VFD Drive

The written attachment is not all correct, just focus on the 10V+ supply to the G540

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to get spindle pwm to work-g540-analog-output-jpg   How to get spindle pwm to work-g540-spindle-control-pins-png  
    Mactec54

I sent you a G540 Wiring Diagram with Spindle Control as a reference

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...-4-axis-driver

Send us a email , We will email you a Mach4 setup file

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to get spindle pwm to work-g540wiringdiagram-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vlod View Post

So, I believe that all wiring is allredy correct. The gecko +ESS+Mach4 was a change to an allredy working machine Meaning the VFD is allredy programmed and adjusted for the spindle. The Spindle has previously worked wih an analogue potentiometer, and now i believe i have set the VFD to the same parameters for analogue frequency controll except the 3 wires go to the gecko instead of the potentiometer. Never say never but i think the issue is somewhere in Mach4. Or thre might be aditional settings in the VFD that I might have overlooked. I am starting to concidder a RS485 option,
    with a separate USB interface, but this shouldnt realy be necsary as a 0-10v controll should work fine

Downloads
    Uploads

Connect voltmeters to 0-10v output on your controller and see if it changes when you change the speed in Mach,
    Then you know if it’s Mach or VFD.
    Some controllers require additional 10V power supply for this operation, usually one takes it from VFD.( You said- it worked with potentiometer before. That is what the controller does - it acts as a simple potentiometer: ground 0 V on one side , 10 V on the other side and the middle slides between providing Voltage between 0 and 10.
    Most of VFD needs to know what is the feed - voltage or current or PMW . It should be in schematic/manual and some have on board switch .
    Here is a link to PWM setting with 0-10V converter it might help. Mactec54 said that your controller has 0-10V output, it could be buit in converter.

Last edited by Vlod; 10-15-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by I_V_A_R View Post
    How to get spindle pwm to work-20221014_153138-jpg

How to get spindle pwm to work-20221014_153134-jpg

How to get spindle pwm to work-20221014_153048-jpg
    The signal cable needs to be Twisted Pair shielded cable, some old mouse cables or phone cable can be used.

Your Main Ground / Earth wiring should be terminated not joined with a connector like you have.

Do the Arrow keys work to Change Speed on the VFD Drive??

If you used an external Pot, then the Parameters would not need any change, as you would have already been setup for remote control for that part.

You must get the 0-10v working at the G540 first before connecting to the VFD Drive, this is easy to check with a meter.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The signal cable needs to be Twisted Pair shielded cable, some old mouse cables or phone cable can be used.

Your Main Ground / Earth wiring should be terminated not joined with a connector like you have.

Do the Arrow keys work to Change Speed on the VFD Drive??

If you used an external Pot, then the Parameters would not need any change, as you would have already been setup for remote control for that part.

You must get the 0-10v working at the G540 first before connecting to the VFD Drive, this is easy to check with a meter.

You might be right about the Ground / Erarth. By terminated do you mean connected directly to the ground terminal of the ICE socket?
    I did it like this because i didn't want 2 cable shoes on the same ICE terminal, but maybe that is the better practice. One earth wire goes to VFD, the other proceeds to the powersupplys of G540 and ESS.

I double checked VFD parameters by remounting the potentiometer, It does work, so the VFD parameters Is correct. (I never used potentiometer before, It was physically there as an option, but VFD parameters were instead set to the chinese hand-controller interface, which I am now replacing with Mach4>ESS>G540)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. I did send you my email.

Yes this is indeed my setup. Just like that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    I sent you a G540 Wiring Diagram with Spindle Control as a reference

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...-4-axis-driver

Send us a email , We will email you a Mach4 setup file
    Thank you. I did send you my email.

Yes this is indeed my setup. Just like that.