Macro for disabling and enabling soft limits between tool changes

Thread: Macro for disabling and enabling soft limits between tool changes

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Macro for disabling and enabling soft limits between tool changes

Hey all. I just built an Avid CNC with Mach4 as the control. I'm also using an S30C tool changer from CNC Depot as the spindle. I built and populated a tool rack for the holders. The rack is along the back of the machine and I would like a way to toggle soft limits on and off between tool changes, as the spindle while in cycle can travel into the rack region and crash into the holders. I can't seem to find any documentation regarding a macro or code used to execute for this scenario.

They (Avid) are currently in development for a tool changer product, but it's on the horizon and they have nothing to release at this time. I, however, would like to have something in place so I don't have to be super vigilant about my workpiece and machine travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Dean

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Macro for disabling and enabling soft limits between tool changes

Hi,
    yes that can be done. This post would best be on the Mach4 General Discussion board of the Mach4 forum to get max exposure to those who can program in Lua.

This is from the Mach4 API:

Code:
    LUA Syntax: 
    rc = mc.mcSoftLimitSetState(
    		number mInst, 
    		number axis, 
    		number on)

Description:
    Set softlimits to be on or off for an axis.
    Using this API you can include it in your m6 macro, first to set the SoftLimits to off which would require three calls to the API, one for each axis, and then at the
    end of the m6 three calls to the API turning SoftLimits back on, one for each axis.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Macro for disabling and enabling soft limits between tool changes

Hey thanks Craig. I'll try this next when I'm back at the control. Quick question, will the machine travel back into the limit area from outside the limits or does it need to be within the boundary? Apologies in advance if I respond more to this post, I'm new to doing script.

Many thanks
    Dean