Need Help! spindle turns on at start up

Thread: spindle turns on at start up

Default spindle turns on at start up

I am using Mach4 with an ESS. Everything works fine when I choose a profile that I made earlier. But if I try to make a new profile, the spindle starts up at full speed when Mach4 starts up and wont turn off. I even tried to do all my config. while it was still running and then restarted Mach4 but the spindle came on and won't turn off.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: spindle turns on at start up

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylarry View Post
    I am using Mach4 with an ESS. Everything works fine when I choose a profile that I made earlier. But if I try to make a new profile, the spindle starts up at full speed when Mach4 starts up and wont turn off. I even tried to do all my config. while it was still running and then restarted Mach4 but the spindle came on and won't turn off.
    How are you controlling the spindle PWM 0-10v or Modbus

Activating the charge pump may stop this from happening

Last edited by mactec54; 05-13-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    Mactec54

The profile that works with no problem uses the PWM. But the displays don't show the speed. I want to set up another profile to use the "step-direction" method that I use on Mach3 and configure the spindle as a 5th motor so the tac will work. I assume that when you set up a new profile, it is like a blank slate. Nothing is assigned so nothing should turn on. Yet the spindle kicks on as soon as the screen begins loading.

Last edited by legendarylarry; 05-13-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylarry View Post
    The profile that works with no problem uses the PWM. But the displays don't show the speed. I want to set up another profile to use the "step-direction" method that I use on Mach3 and configure the spindle as a 5th motor so the tac will work. I assume that when you set up a new profile, it is like a blank slate. Nothing is assigned so nothing should turn on. Yet the spindle kicks on as soon as the screen begins loading.
    If you are using PWM or step / Dir you will need a Relay to turn the VFD On / Off , this will depend on what VFD you are using as to which terminals to use for the Relay connection

Mactec54

I have a relay already in place. I have been running the machine on Mach3 for a year using step/dir. I want to use Mach4 in the same way. But the startup of Mach4 with the ESS turns on the relay as the screen loads and nothing I do will turn it off. It began when I updated to the newest Mach4 and newest Ess plugins. I tried activating the charge pump but there was no change.

Since there have been no one other than mactec54 who has bothered to chime in on this problem and due to the fact that I am unable to solve this problem on my own, I am going to try another company's software to run my machines. Mach 4 is still far from being ready for prime time and I need things to work without having to write my own code. Thanks mactec54 for at least showing up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Larry
    Did you give up on Mach4 after? I just did the same thing with a C23 BOB plugged into the ESS.
    Can't remember all the settings but I could get that info for you, if you still need it.
    Jim

I just continued to use Mach3. I really wanted to use Mach4 but I couldn't get the settings right and couldn't find any help. I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Larry;

I took screen shots of my spindle settings, there were settings on 8 different screens so it would be too confusing to explain. In my setup I'm driving a two speed gearbox with a VFD, outputs for spindle forward and reverse. The speed control is done by sending the pulse signal (0-25KHz) to the C23 BOB (Pin14 Port 1). The C23 than converts the frequency to the 0-10 VDC for the VFD.
    I'm sure these exact setting will not work for your application exactly but you may find them useful.

spindle turns on at start up-ess-pins-config-jpgspindle turns on at start up-mach-spindle-jpg

Good luck
    Keep in Touch

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well that didn't work. Technology is wicked. Lets try a few more
    spindle turns on at start up-mach-outputs-jpg
    spindle turns on at start up-mach-motors-jpg
    spindle turns on at start up-mach-axis-mapping-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heres The Rest

spindle turns on at start up-ess-spindle-jpg
    spindle turns on at start up-ess-outputs-jpg
    spindle turns on at start up-ess-motors-jpg

That looks like just what I need. I’ll give it a try when I get to the shop this weekend. Thank you very much.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a hard time figuring it out, I must have watched a few of those YouTube vids at least 10 times. I was trying to use PWM and the BOB wanted an actual frequency. PWM is a duty cycle pulse so the Frequency does not actually change. I could get the spindle to run but no speed control. Then you throw the Smooth Stepper in the middle of it. No wonder it all gets confusing. What BOB are you using? I could check it out for you if you like, just offering another set of eyes.

JIm