EMC2 working perfectly for controlling a 3D printer (RepRap)


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: EMC2 working perfectly for controlling a 3D printer (RepRap)

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default EMC2 working perfectly for controlling a 3D printer (RepRap)

    Hello :-)

    I am using EMC2 to control my CNC, working as RepStrap, a 3D printer based on RepRap.

    Here a video.

    And here a picture:


    EMC2 is powerful!! And also others Free Software and Open Hardware projects ;-)

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    nice work,

    could you explain more on your setup?

    http://mickgalt.blogspot.com


  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djmickyg View Post
    nice work,

    could you explain more on your setup?
    It's simple: I put the extruder on my CNC and run the gcode using EMC2 :-)

    The extruder is this one: ThermoplastExtruder_2_0

    There is some custom python code for interact with EMC2 and also a custom firmware for Arduino board of the ThermoplastExtruder_2_0, get all them here.



  4. #4
    Member Khalid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    3488
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Casainho.. Its a nice 3D print..I am also reading about Reprap.. but I am using Mach3, that is not good at temperature controlling and other functionality as compare to EMC...

    I am using Mach3, so as its a LPT port controller..I have to use the original reprap Java firmware with all the only Sanguino based motherboard.. I will use the SLA based controller..

    Currently I am working on low-cost extruder design that will take ABS/HDPE granules that are cheaply available..

    You have to add support/Fill material..I think you have generated the code with other CAM software...the reprap one is the best for STL slicing and machine specific code generation...

    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/


  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Casainho.. Its a nice 3D print..I am also reading about Reprap.. but I am using Mach3, that is not good at temperature controlling and other functionality as compare to EMC...

    I am using Mach3, so as its a LPT port controller..I have to use the original reprap Java firmware with all the only Sanguino based motherboard.. I will use the SLA based controller..

    Currently I am working on low-cost extruder design that will take ABS/HDPE granules that are cheaply available..

    You have to add support/Fill material..I think you have generated the code with other CAM software...the reprap one is the best for STL slicing and machine specific code generation...
    So it's time for you go with EMC2 ;-) You will be much more powerful when using EMC2.

    I generate gcode using the same tools RepRap uses, the skeinforge.



  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    51
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Your project is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.



  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    In last months I am using my CNC and EMC2 as a 3D printer - EMCRepStrap. See here my project page with pictures of it.









  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    122
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    This is really awesome. I have a large router table driven by emc. It looks as if it'd be a trivial matter to swap out the router for an extruder, then run the modified machine with a different config file.

    It appears that the extruder is a diy project, are there any parts of the extruder which are a problem to fabricate?



  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack_jeff View Post
    This is really awesome. I have a large router table driven by emc. It looks as if it'd be a trivial matter to swap out the router for an extruder, then run the modified machine with a different config file.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack_jeff View Post
    It appears that the extruder is a diy project, are there any parts of the extruder which are a problem to fabricate?
    You can buy all the parts online, but you may need to make your own support for attach it to your CNC. I just used plastic but I guess you can use wood also... and if you have already a CNC, even better to make it ;-)

    Go and see for yourself how the extruder is built:

    http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/ThermoplastExtruder_2_0



  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hi Casainho
    Thanks for sharing your success.
    Keep up the good work :-)
    Cheers Rob



  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Dear Casainho:

    Congratulations on your 3D-printer. Very impressive results...

    I'm also thinking about this, but my main problem is how to get the supplies: what
    kind of material are you extruding, and where did you get it? Is it very expensive?

    Also, about your software: are you running EMC2 under Ubuntu? what version?
    Did you use a Ubuntu distribution that already came with EMC2 installed?

    Thank you

    Nelson



  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arquibaldo View Post
    Dear Casainho:

    Congratulations on your 3D-printer. Very impressive results...

    I'm also thinking about this, but my main problem is how to get the supplies: what
    kind of material are you extruding, and where did you get it? Is it very expensive?

    Also, about your software: are you running EMC2 under Ubuntu? what version?
    Did you use a Ubuntu distribution that already came with EMC2 installed?

    Thank you

    Nelson
    Nelso, I am using ABS and I bought it on Makerbot store. I think there are a few sources for it, be you in Europe, US or China (Sam Wong fro example is living in China).

    I installed the Ubuntu version of EMC2 LiveCD.

    Don't forget to check this sites for all the information:
    - http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/Builders/EMCRepStrap
    - http://code.google.com/p/casainho-pr...terEMCRepStrap
    - http://casainho-emcrepstrap.blogspot.com/



  13. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Dear Casainho:

    Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

    Unfortunately, I am far away, although we speak the same language...
    MakerBot store was a great tip. I'll try them, since they say they do ship internationally...
    although, right now, they are out of natural ABS - only black ABS in stock...

    Nelson



  14. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arquibaldo View Post
    Dear Casainho:

    Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

    Unfortunately, I am far away, although we speak the same language...
    MakerBot store was a great tip. I'll try them, since they say they do ship internationally...
    although, right now, they are out of natural ABS - only black ABS in stock...

    Nelson
    Brasil? :-)

    You may look at PLA, since looks to me that everyone prefers it: http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/PLA

    Also on wiki and ofrum of reprap, you will find links to various sources... also you can ask on IRC reprap channel :-)



  15. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hello,

    i want to integrate a Reprap into my cnc mill too..
    The mill is driven by EMC2.
    As extruder i want to use a stepper Driven extruder.

    Does this work with the firmware supplied in the link too or do i have to change it to support a stepper extruder?
    And how is the wiring done? usbport at pc then usb-ttl converter then extruder controller??



  16. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goaran View Post
    Hello,

    i want to integrate a Reprap into my cnc mill too..
    The mill is driven by EMC2.
    As extruder i want to use a stepper Driven extruder.

    Does this work with the firmware supplied in the link too or do i have to change it to support a stepper extruder?
    And how is the wiring done? usbport at pc then usb-ttl converter then extruder controller??
    Yes, I used a stepper motor on extruder.

    I think is best to use RepRap Mendel, because that software I used for control my CNC is not updated and is not the best technology for printing - go and make/buy your RepRap Mendel as I did:








  17. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hello casaiho.
    Thanks for the quick answer.
    I dont want to build a Mendel, because i just finished building my cnc mill and there is no place left on my deskt for another machine ;(

    the mill has three axis too, so what would be the advantage of the mendel?
    I have all the electronic that are needed for a mendel. So if it is a Problem using emc i just could add the limitswitches to the cnc and connect the stepperdrivers to the mainboard, but it would be nicer if it works wihtout the mainboard just out of emc.
    you used the python scripts from Sam right?
    Did you change the firmware then to support steppers? cause the firmware by Sam only supports DC motors..



  18. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goaran View Post
    Hello casaiho.
    Thanks for the quick answer.
    I dont want to build a Mendel, because i just finished building my cnc mill and there is no place left on my deskt for another machine ;(
    Nice machine!! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by goaran View Post
    the mill has three axis too, so what would be the advantage of the mendel?
    I have all the electronic that are needed for a mendel. So if it is a Problem using emc i just could add the limitswitches to the cnc and connect the stepperdrivers to the mainboard, but it would be nicer if it works wihtout the mainboard just out of emc.
    you used the python scripts from Sam right?
    Did you change the firmware then to support steppers? cause the firmware by Sam only supports DC motors..
    You did well to read what Sam and I wrote! The question is that the EMCRepStrap is not maintained and is outdated, while the RepRap firmware/software is the best technology available on OpenSource 3D printers.

    If you want to go ahead (I can't say for you don't, because I did before), just use my scripts and firmware, which are the ones adapted from Sam Wong, for my stepper motor extruder.

    Sam Wong did help me a lot!!!! We had chatting many times, while I was asking him help to adapt his code... also there are some new features as "serial robustness" to avoid UART PC communications errors.

    I believe Sam Wong didn't used any more is printer after me and so my code should be the best version.



  19. #19
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Thanks,

    Ok,then i will try first to use your source to get it running on EMC.
    Later i will try to use the reprap-board to drive the steppercontrollers of my cnc mill, which shouldnt be a problem. The only thing to do is changing the step/direction signal to a pwm for the driver right?
    And when there is any time left i'll build a mendel
    btw. thanks for sharing the code.



  20. #20
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goaran View Post
    Thanks,

    Ok,then i will try first to use your source to get it running on EMC.
    Later i will try to use the reprap-board to drive the steppercontrollers of my cnc mill, which shouldnt be a problem. The only thing to do is changing the step/direction signal to a pwm for the driver right?
    And when there is any time left i'll build a mendel
    btw. thanks for sharing the code.
    It's a good idea to use the RepRap electronics + firmware + software. I really like EMC2, however the needed scripts/code for make it working as RepRap are far from perfect and are unmaintained.

    On your CNC, you should attach an extruder, and Wade extruder is the best: http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/Devel...ema17_Extruder

    RepRap firmware/electronics provides STEP, DIRECTION and ENABLE signals for each steppers drivers - 4 steppers: X, Y, Z and E(xtruder) axis. You can configure the on firmware the polarity of each signal.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

EMC2 working perfectly for controlling a 3D printer (RepRap)

EMC2 working perfectly for controlling a 3D printer (RepRap)

EMC2 working perfectly for controlling a 3D printer (RepRap)