EMC control of airbrush bot

Thread: EMC control of airbrush bot

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMC control of airbrush bot

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on a airbrush robot, see http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93184 for more details.

At the moment, I'm trying to work out how to properly control the machine with EMC2. I've got the X/Y movement all figured out and working properly and I'm now trying to get my head around controlling my toolhead (the airbrush). I've got it set up so that a servo motor pushes down on the airbrush button to turn the airflow on an off. The servo is controlled by an Arduino board that sets it to a certain position when it gets a high or low signal on one of its digital inputs. I'm thinking this should be a pretty basic thing to figure out but I'm not quite sure about how to deal with this in gcode creation and EMC control.

I'm using the inkscape extension to generate gcode from vector paths and I'm thinking I should modify the script or write something to modify the gcode to my wishes. I'm thinking I could somehow replace any G00/G01 Z## commands with a command(maybe M7/M9 for "mist") that will set one of the pins on my parallel port high/low, that should do the trick.

I'm wondering if this makes any sense to you guys and maybe of you have some ideas on how to implement this or any other input, that would be highly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Airbrush CNC

Looks cool, good ideal

Sort of like a inkjet printer or plotter. I always thought it would be great to have a CNC magic marker or paint pen for marking metal.

The problem like large printers and plotters is they are made for printing on paper. If they could use paint (either solvent based or oven cured) on to metal parts it would be like a metal baked on enamel finish on metal parts.

This would be great for outdoor signs. Sort of like traffic or highway signs but with finer lines for pictures. The Dots per Inch on a aribrush is what 4 dots per inch?

The problem with printers and plotters is the limit on amount of different colors unless you mix colors. Getting the colors on a computer screen and what is sprayed or printed on metal to match I would think is not easy. The technology of inkjet printers has come a long way what with 1200 dpi or higher printers. Too bad the ink cartridges cost so much.

Maybe there are sign making CNC machine companies that sell a spray unit to go on a torch or plasma CNC cutting table that you could also use??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default printing on metal and plastic

Downloads
    Uploads

You could use the pins:
    motion.digital-out-00
    which is controlled by m62

look here:
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.3/htm...2hal.html#r1_1

Chris M

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a nice machine. I experimented building one with my x,y table but it was horizontal not vertical. Had alot of trouble with the airbrush clogging. Once it clogged made it very painful to reset and / or continue. Possible temperature issues, its cold at the workshop.

-Erich

WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: printing on metal and plastic

Is this website shutdown or private?
    I’m looking to build a Airbrush unit for my CNC can anyone help with the plans for the modified airbrush?
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Is this website shutdown or private?
    I’m looking to build a Airbrush unit for my CNC can anyone help with the plans for the modified airbrush?
    Thanks
    I have seen something a year ago. Guy had success. But I did not see any long projects. His did spray better using inkjet ink instead of paint. Was just a solinoid attached to the airbrush trigger the air.

My tests were frustrating. The paint clogged, dripped. The machine kept running, it had no way of sensing malfunction.

WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMC control of airbrush bot

We’re you controlling the needle depth (thus paint flow) with a rack and pinion type stepper controller?
    Or what was your control method?
    Thanks