Newbie Probotix on emc2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probotix on emc2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Probotix on emc2

Hello forum

I'm trying to get my probotix 4-axis set to run with my Dell optiplex 240.
    I found somewhere that the parallel port should be set to EPP in Bios, I've done that.

The pin lay-out should be as shown in the attached "pin layout".

The drivers are set up as 1/8th microstepping.

In the attached files you'll find the settings I've used, but I've had no movement whatsoever when testing my motors.

Anybody knows what's wrong?

thanks,

Jeroen

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Probotix on emc2-pin-layout-jpg   Probotix on emc2-screenshot-emc2-stepper-mill-configuration-jpg   Probotix on emc2-screenshot-emc2-stepper-mill-configuration-1-jpg   Probotix on emc2-screenshot-emc2-stepper-mill-configuration-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

My thoughts would be

pin 1,14,16 and 17 should be hooked to 'amplifier enable'

for testing I would set pins 10,11,12,13 to 'unused'

Plus you have pins 8 and 9 set to x step and dir - shouldn't that be a step and dir?

sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You have to set the enable lines. Also, the enable lines and step lines need to have the invert checkbox checked.

>Len

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen87 View Post
    Hello forum

I'm trying to get my probotix 4-axis set to run with my Dell optiplex 240.
    I found somewhere that the parallel port should be set to EPP in Bios, I've done that.

The pin lay-out should be as shown in the attached "pin layout".

The drivers are set up as 1/8th microstepping.

In the attached files you'll find the settings I've used, but I've had no movement whatsoever when testing my motors.

Anybody knows what's wrong?

thanks,

Jeroen
    Jeroen.

One thing that I noticed is that you have your maximum velocity set at 1mm/sec that is less than 2.5 ipm or very very low. If you were running imperial mode 1"/sec would be sixty ipm but 60 mm/min seems extraordinarily slow.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default still no results

Thanks for all your replies,

I've tried some options, but still no movement in any of the motors.
    My first error was that I didn't connect the usb cable.....(i feel stupid) my hope was this would solve everything, but I've still got nothing at all.

The only enable (for X, Y, Z) I'm able to select is the amplifier enable, is this correct?

I used the settings as shown in the attachments.

I want to use the kit as follows:
    axis 1: x-axis motor
    axis 2: y-axis motor
    axis 3: z-axis motor
    axis 4: second x-axis motor

greets,

Jeroen

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Probotix on emc2-basic-machine-information-2-png   Probotix on emc2-parallel-port-setup-2-png   Probotix on emc2-x-axis-configuration-2-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

have you tried not inverting the amplifier enable pins?

sam

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeroen,

I would suggest only using one pin from the parallel port for amplifier enable and wiring all of the physical enable lines to that single pin. That is what I am doing and it works for me. I have also seen that suggested on the IRC as the preferred method. That will also allow you to check more easily whether inverting or not inverting the enable is the correct solution.

I would suggest setting the second set of X-axis step and dir pins to A-axis or something else until you succeed in getting motor movement. That way you will be able to tell whether selecting two different X step and dir pin sets is causing a problem.

Are you actually testing the motors in stepcnfg? Concentrate on getting motion from one motor first, then try adding in the other motors. In other words try and isolate the problem to as few variables as possible at a time.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeroen,

The recommendation for EPP setup on the parallel port was for setups like Pluto-P and some of the MESA boards. Try changing your parallel port back to standard setting and see if that makes a difference.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeroen,

One more thing, if the probotix breakout board requires you to use separate pins for the enables (without cutting a few traces), you have pin 1 (A enable) set to unused so you would not be turning on that enable.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks to USPS.....

Thanks everyone for all the help.

After trying virtually every setting ans suggestions from all you guys and extensive email contact with Chris from Probotix, who was very helpfull, I started to think something was wrong with my kit.

I openedn the box and found out that the power supply had moved during transport and damaged my breakout board. One of the "logic supply regulators" was bend so much that one of the legs had broken. See pictures.
    One of the heatsinks from the driver cards had come loose as well.

Seems USPS didn't handle with care. Chris from probotix promissed to sent me a new breakout board and heatsink, thanks for that!

When it arrives and I get it installed I'll give an update.

thanks again for all your replies.

Jeroen

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Probotix on emc2-081107-broken-leg-small-jpg   Probotix on emc2-081107-damage-cnc-kit-004-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like Probotix needs to examine their packaging... if it can't handle the gentle ride on a USPS truck and the careful handling from from USPS workers how could it ever make it on a UPS or FedEx ride?

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Big John T View Post
    Looks like Probotix needs to examine their packaging... if it can't handle the gentle ride on a USPS truck and the careful handling from from USPS workers how could it ever make it on a UPS or FedEx ride?

John
    John,

Jeroen's location says the Netherlands. So, it is possible that just a little more than USPS was involved in the delivery??? However, I agree about the packaging.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

TNTexpress was the one that delivered to my door.....so maybe they had a bumpy ride.....

Probotix used 3M tape to fixate the power supply in their enclosure. Mine was one of the first ones to ship out. They said they started fixating them with some extra screws as well. So the problem should be solved.

I'll just have to wait for my new breakout board......

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finally motors moving!!!

It's been more than a month since my last post.....and finally I've gotten a little further.

After a lot of contact with probotix and trying every possible solution I ended up replacing the breakout board, the power supply, two drivers and heatsink. To bad it took forever for all the parts to clear customs, but I've got my motors moving!!! see attached movie.
    Thanks Chris from Probotix for replacing all the parts at no costs. They must have spend a fortune on shipping.....

I've included the pictures of my latest settings. My next step is to include the end-switches and e-stop button.

I've used the 4th axis as a copy of the X-axis. If somebody else is trying, this second x-axis won't run when you're testing in configuration, but will run when actually using EMC2

greets,

Jeroen

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Probotix on emc2-emc1-jpg   Probotix on emc2-emc2-jpg   Probotix on emc2-emc3-jpg   Probotix on emc2-emc4-jpg  

Probotix on emc2-emc5-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any more updates on how the probotix motors and control is working?
    I'm looking at purchasing the same Green motors. What power supply are you using? I was going to upgrade to the higher voltage unit to get a little more power out of the motors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got my Probotix green motor, drive, power supply and break out board all working.
    Need to add the heat sink to the drive board yet so I've only tested the motor at 1.5amps. Need to bump it to 3.0amps.
    EMC2 works good and the price for the software is great, FREE!
    Any updates on our config. file in EMC2? I used the same set-up you are showing and it seams fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need some help I've been trying to download live emc2 and then burn it to a cd i have that all down. the problem is it downloads as a winrar then i unzip it but then i can't burn it all as one file. is it supposed to be a winrar file to be burned

need help

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by electric2u View Post
    I need some help I've been trying to download live emc2 and then burn it to a cd i have that all down. the problem is it downloads as a winrar then i unzip it but then i can't burn it all as one file. is it supposed to be a winrar file to be burned

need help
    It is NOT a winrar, it is an ISO, an exact bit-for-bit image of the ISO9660 file system on the CD. You should not unzip it or do anything else to it. If it has a .rar file extension, then it is not the right file.
    Here is a link to the current distro :
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu...-aj13-i386.iso

Note the .iso on the end. It is about a 700 MB file. Once you have this file, you then use a CD burner program, and hit the button to tell it to "burn ISO image". When it is done, you should be able to mount the CD and see files in the directory. If the CD mounts and you see one huge file with a .iso extension, then the CD burner program did not burn it as an ISO, it just wrote the iso file as a data file.

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK i got emc2 on my PC now, i have a new problem now. in mill confiuration the under leadscrew Pitch i'm using a #25 Chain with a pitch of 1/4, full turn is 2.25, 1,422.2222 set pre inch. can some one help me fill in the blanks, and i have 2 moter on the x axis i think i have to put a - on one of the axis? on the z i a have 1/2 10 thread 5 starts i think i know what to put there but you like to see if you have the same answer as me.

thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

just for the info on the last post i have probotix 400z moter 1.8 200 steps my table is about 4ftx3.5ft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast