Crossing to the parallel universe.

Thread: Crossing to the parallel universe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Crossing to the parallel universe.

I have decided to see if Linux has come of age. It has been about 2 years since I last looked. I must say, I am EXTREMELY impressed.
    I am using the Ubuntu version of Linux http://www.ubuntu.com/ (Free)
    I am also using a free program called WINE that allows me to use many windows programs in Linux as well. http://www.winehq.org/ (Free)
    This means I can use many of the same CAD and Cam softwares I have already used on windows. I am still finding out the ones that do and don't work.
    I am also using ( Well plan to use) EMC the linux equivalent of a CNC machine controlling software. http://www.linuxcnc.org/ (Free)

My aim is to see if it is possible to create a design, convert it to gcode, and drive the cnc machine all for free.

Only a few weeks ago I would have scoffed at the idea that Linux was viable, easy to use, equivalent to windows in terms of features, etc.
    I am amazed at how far it has come along. Whats even better is the amount of free software that you can also download for Linux.
    If you consider the cost of Windows, the cost of Office, the coast of a drawing package, and a few other software components on a typical setup, you'd be coming close to $1500 ( If you did it all by the book)
    With Linux you get it all free and some of it is even better than the bought stuff, without the bloat too.

In the coming weeks I will post some progressive comments, pictures, screenshots, etc.

So far so EXCELLENT.

Benny

EDIT these are all the CAD softwares known to work in Linux with Wine.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?iCatId=59

BTW If you believe like I did that "FREE" means substandard, then you are missing out in this case.

Similar Threads:
    Being outside the square !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Great!

also look at
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl

and when you're stumped get on irc
    There is a web based irc client right on linuxcnc.org
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/component/op...mid,8/lang,en/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb View Post
    Whats even better is the amount of free software that you can also download for Linux.
    And SAFE free software. The motivations behind the software in the repositories need not be questioned. If a vulnerability is discovered you will be alerted about the updates/patches. The amount of grief caused by free/share ware on windows has to be enormous.

Any guesses why MS and their minions are busy spreading linux FUD and insinuations of patent infringement ?

*nix variants are biting hard into the MS share of the server market and they don't want the same to start on the desktop/workstation. My guess anyway.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check out their latest LiveCD. It has Ubuntu 804 and latest EMC.
    Lets you try (no installation) the system or install. You can set it to dual-boot
    with Win or my favorite; destroy windows and install Linux.
    I just installed on a new(ish) machine the other day and within the next
    few days, will set this machine in place of the old box. Old box has a year-old
    version of Ubuntu and EMC 221. Old box runs fine and will be stored in a plastic
    bag in case new box acts up, dies, etc.

New box: P4/1600, 512 MB RAM
    Old box: P3 Celeron(yuck)/800, 256 MB RAM

If you've used Windows for CNC before, you'll love EMC. It just works!

Emory

Downloads
    Uploads

Just adding my personal experience, I have just got my router together (sort of) and am going through the setup phase, I installed 8.04 bundled with EMC and had a few problems with lockups, PC is an older AMD 2100 with a gig of ram, I kinda expected problems as the 8.04 is aimed more at the newer hardware. Trashed that and installed a fresh version of 6.06 and voila !! All up and running, I now have to get a terminal program going in Ubuntu to program up my drive parameters, a little time on the #EMC IRC channel last night pointed me in the right direction, I will have another crack at that tonight.

The Stepconf wizard is a great addition for a quick and painless configuration.

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Benny, any updates ?

FYI here is a handy little link that may help those that install the live CD vers 6.06 and have trouble getting the internet to work, the later desktop versions work out of the box but the EMC version didn't work for me straight away, and this thread contains what I did to get it working :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35705

Can't talk, gotta go and get my router on the internet, but I must resist the temptation of installing frozen bubble once it is connected

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well so far for me the parallel universe as Ynneb puts it is going great !

I have setup my machine fully now and it is up and running, I have a few non controller issues to work out (vac clamping, dust extraction) but EMC2 has proven to be quite painless. Support has been good, though the different timezone for me to most of the "guru's" in IRC means I am always half asleep while asking questions, no matter I got there in the end.

I used the stepconf wizard completely for my machine for two reasons :

1 I am lazy, checking a box or writing a value in a GUI is easy
    2 I wanted to see if the wizard could setup a standard hobby machine, without needing to delve into the ini files, good old keep it simple theory.

Next on the list for me is to get my licenced copy of DeskCNC working under linux so I can do everything from the one machine. I looked at QCAD and it seems simple enough, just have to use it a little and see. I will post my results.

How about yourself Benny ? Or are you still recovering from the last BBQ

Russell.

Last edited by epineh; 07-27-2008 at 05:16 AM. Reason: bad engrish

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Russell, I'm glad you're still running with this thread.
    I have temporarily crossed back to Windows. The TV card is the ONLY issue with Linux, that drags me back to windows. Unfortunately we are all reliant on it for recording TV shows.
    Other than this, I am still booting into Ubuntu lots. Ive also been trialing other distros like Linux "Mint" and even "DSL" (Damn Small Linux) (50Meg).
    I have done nothing with the EMC in linux. But plan to give it a bash as soon as I build another machine.
    Russell please keep running this thread as I will learn from your experiences
    I would love to know others experiences with the cross over too.

I must say I am loving this Linux discovery and the LARGE amount of FREE software that you can get with it. It makes me wonder how much longer people will be paying for windows based software. How will these companies last. Its could be a good thing and a bad thing. Good that we get free software. Good that it will make software companies charge REASONABLE prices for their software. Bad because it might limit the market when these companies fold.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would love to know others experiences with the cross over too.
    Careful, you could get all sorts of stories with that one

As for the free software, I know what you mean, and with the PC on the internet you just do a search using Synaptic Package Manager (using Ubuntu) for what you are after and it all just comes up, select what you want and it goes and installs...seamless. (and there are ALL sorts of packages available)

There have been 64 bit server versions available long before Windows ever caught up and got it to "work" and the Linux versions are just so stable.

I don't know about software companies folding, the people writing and supporting the software seem to be pretty hardcore programmers and it seems to be more about making something work properly for kudos rather than monetary gain, to me means no cost cutting. Just look at the EMC guys, it has got to a stage where it does practically everything, and does it well.

The only problem I see is choosing a distribution to suit as there are so many, though the desktop version of Ubuntu is pretty awesome, it detected stuff on my laptop that XP just never could (weird wireless card) and it all just worked straight away.

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I must say I am loving this Linux discovery and the LARGE amount of FREE software that you can get with it. It makes me wonder how much longer people will be paying for windows based software. How will these companies last. Its could be a good thing and a bad thing. Good that we get free software. Good that it will make software companies charge REASONABLE prices for their software. Bad because it might limit the market when these companies fold.
    While there exists a free-and-open-source-or-nothing camp in the linux community they have always struck me as a vocal minority. Users like me welcome linux ports of commercial software. Maybe some day our numbers will get large enough that software vendors no longer feel comfortable ignoring us. Mac users probably feel much the same. For example I applaud SheetCam's recent efforts and fully intend to show that appreciation where it count$$.

Sort of OT, but the way RedHat operates is interesting. Their enterprise edition is a financial success by anyone's standards. However it is open source and available for free as CentOS. What the purchase of enterprise gets you is payed support. My employer is a RedHat customer.

I do love FOSS but linux and commercial software are in no way incompatible.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I do love FOSS but linux and commercial software are in no way incompatible.
    Good point, I guess I hadn't thought of that side of things, but as you say, commercial software can be made multi platform, without having to use programs like WINE, now that linux has matured to a capable desktop enviroment it will be interesting to see if it happens.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wine, crossover office, cedega for gamers, etc. Lots of linux users own commercial software or need specific software written for another platform. I run Xp in a virtual machine occasionally. Sheetcam is a product I have demoed in XP but wasn't willing to purchase unless it ran on the platform of my choice. This might seem illogical but I'm a logic optional kind of guy sometimes

The problem for proprietary software in linux is much of our free software is exceptionally good. How many users would buy a linux version of Mach when emc is available? Benny does have a point.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive got an experiment I would like someone to try. I would except I dont know how.
    Could someone see if EMC will run in DSL (Damn small linux) http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Imagine, a 56meg OS that contained a CNC controller. Setting up a dedicated computer would be a breeze, and because there was minimum background stuff happening you would have a super efficient controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am very interested in EMC and have been dabbling in Ubuntu. I currently run TurboCNC under Dos, on my jgro router. I could definitely benefit from picking the brains of more experienced users.

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive got an experiment I would like someone to try. I would except I dont know how.
    Could someone see if EMC will run in DSL (Damn small linux) http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Imagine, a 56meg OS that contained a CNC controller. Setting up a dedicated computer would be a breeze, and because there was minimum background stuff happening you would have a super efficient controller.
    I dunno, I have seen lots of talk about other linux versions running EMC but it seems to be a large undertaking, it would be cool though

Then again, the PC I am using for my router running EMC was pulled from a bin, I added a little more RAM but that's it, and Ubuntu is just SO easy to install (sorry but I don't have any DSL experience)

Quote Originally Posted by voltsandbolts View Post
    I am very interested in EMC and have been dabbling in Ubuntu. I currently run TurboCNC under Dos, on my jgro router. I could definitely benefit from picking the brains of more experienced users.
    What would you like to know ? I also used TurboCNC but got sick of the lack of constant velocity, which EMC does quite well. I have just setup EMC on my router and found it quite simple.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

EMC2 uses Ubuntu Linux because it supports real time operating system (RTOS). If DSL supports RTOS there might be a chance that EMC2 will work with it if enough software wrenches are turned by someone much more knowledgeable with Linux than I am.

The EMC2 team probably doesn't want to deal with release testing of multiple distros either. It's bad enough making a new release work with all of the various hardware that people try to run EMC2 on. Ubuntu is the most trouble free Linux I have used in all my many years of messing with Linux distros. Getting Ubuntu and EMC2 to boot and run from a USB thumb drive on any old Windows machine would be very welcome to a lot of folks.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

There was (is?) a project called coolCNC that runs emc2 on Puppy linux. Puppy is only slightly heavier than damnsmall. Another option might be a lighter Ubuntu. The Gnome desktop uses a lot of resources. I've been meaning to test emc with the fluxbox window manager. Fluxbox is largely responsible for DSL's ability to run on next to zero (32 MB?) ram.